KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dozy bint in a blacked out windows people carrier reversed into my bike (950 SM) while parked yesterday; panel scratches and dent in clutch cover, at least not bent anywhere I think. Witness watching said she would have continued to reverse over it if it hadn't been for the alarm.
Couple of questions; I was on a double-yellow line at the time at the end of the parking bay she was in, will this make any difference if I try and claim off her?
And will my no claims bonus be threatened if I try and claim off her?

Thanks for any answers...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
By double yellow, I assume that means you weren't supposed to park there? And if so then yes, I would expect her insurance to be pricks about it if they find out. If it were my bike, I'd be tempted to price up the replacement parts and suggest a private settlement. I'm sure you'll get a range of opinions tho. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
i think those are both questions you should be asking your insurance company. you cant lie about the circumstances so there's no issue with being truthful with them.
shouldnt affect your no claims.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
By double yellow, I assume that means you weren't supposed to park there? And if so then yes, I would expect her insurance to be pricks about it if they find out. If it were my bike, I'd be tempted to price up the replacement parts and suggest a private settlement. I'm sure you'll get a range of opinions tho. Good luck with it.
mmm not sure there. if that were the case then any vehicle parked in a restricted area would be fair game ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
depending on the circumstances surronding why the yellow lines are present will influence the insurance assessor, however wether its yellow lines box junction anything it does not negate the drivers responsibilty to drive within the law (section 3 rta careless and inconsiderate driving)what would be the outcome if she had reveresed back and it was a child in a push chair. Back to the real world her insurance company will back her to the hilt the case will be dragged out. they will want your insurance details and this will affect your next policy they say non blame accident will not affect your premium but it does. i dont know how much damage was caused costv wiseis and what your excess is. i would go down the lines of sorting it out between yous, you can always say to the other party if it is not sorted you will contact the insurance company the fear of her policy going up may pursuade her to pay out good luck anyway

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Just tell them the truth , same thing happened to me about 10 yrs ago , someone hit my car and i was on double yellows and it made no difference..

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Put your boot throught the drivers window, drag her out of it and explain the failing of her ways

HTH :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
a little gentle persuasion should get her to fork out for it herself!!
worked for me ;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My bikes been nockedover 3 times, whilst parked (though always in bike bays) 1) the driver owned up, i claimed off her insurance, no hassle and did not effect my no claims!!!!! 2) the driver buggered off, 3) the driver was uninsured! all 3 I had to get AA to take bike home.

If she gave you her insurance and admitted liability, I would not mention the double yellows, should the subject come up, then I suspect that you could always withdraw the claim if you suspect that it will mean you not claiming on her insuranc (if that makes sense).

good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Someone in a van backed over my bike outside my house a couple of years ago, took me a while to get them to accept responability. When they eventually did my insurance Co. did a great job. Bike went back to the dealer who checked it over and reconed the frame could have been damaged, new bike, loan bike for a month and loss of earnings. Though I had to fight for latter.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Headster or [email protected] can give you the real score on here.

From what I've experienced I'd say it's 100% her fault, regardless of the double yellow. She should pay in full.

Just tell your insurance company everything and let them sort it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot folks for the comments.
Phil if you're out there, have you got an opinion on whether being on a double yellow might affect my chances of a claim against her?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts