KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone that looks at the enduro / off road section will have seen my stolen bike post.

I have spoken to my insurance co. Re. The theft, and someone will phone me back on monday.

Having not claimed on bike theft before, what happens next / what do the insurers do / how long does pay out take?

Ensured fully comp.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
472 Posts
My experience on various types of insurance is that they will do their best not to pay out.

Every time you speak to them get the name of the person you speak to and make notes of dates, times and who said what. If you email them, get delivery and read receipts so they can't say they never got it. If they say they are going to do something by a certain date, chase them the moment they are late and don't give them a break.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the process though, just all over the phone/email? I have an op coming up and wont be able to do much for a while.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would imagine they have a time limit in case of recovery, maybe 30days, in the mean time I would be finding adverts that have bikes like yours so you can argue the value with evidence when they start to Scofield you

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Go and look at e-bay and bike trader for the same bikes / years / condition, take screenshots of every advert for proof of bike value at time of theft, this will help when they offer you fuck all for them.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I dont know what i am doing atm. Head is mashed

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The financial loss is far from the end of it and worse than that is that some total and utter ****s have just trashed my garage and taken my bikes - and that in this country that is just a day-to-day event the authorities don't give a shit about....

...and therefore it might happen again.

Sympathies go out to anyone who has had a bike stolen, I had two go missing as a lad, both stolen from college, both recovered in damaged condition - one of them a write off that I ended up buying back.

The other issue is a decade of higher insurance premiums.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they play hard ball on price. Say fine, youve changed your mind and you would want them to replace the item, like for like. Insurance companies hate this knowledge.

Is that really an option? Interesting.

Saying that, the way l am feeling atm, l am done with dirt bikes. It would appear that you cant have anything without some cunt thinking its alright to take it.

My head is still hurting.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The financial loss is far from the end of it and worse than that is that some total and utter ****s have just trashed my garage and taken my bikes - and that in this country that is just a day-to-day event the authorities don't give a shit about....

...and therefore it might happen again.

Sympathies go out to anyone who has had a bike stolen, I had two go missing as a lad, both stolen from college, both recovered in damaged condition - one of them a write off that I ended up buying back.

The other issue is a decade of higher insurance premiums.
Yep. All of that. Not looking fwd to renewal time.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
We in a rather smart coastal resort outside Cape Town at the moment, every property has high walls or fences topped with barbed wire or electric fence. The road our apartment is in has two 24 hour security guards and they go mental when you turn up unexpectedly in a taxi. Not helped that our Uber app isn’t working. They don’t like us walking back from the restaurants after dark as there are loads of beggars and hawkers out and about.

please don’t let it come to this at home but the way the govt, police And insurers don’t seem to give a toss, I fear it might happen to some extent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts