KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Apparently these are great.

Amazon sell these if anyone`s interested or wants more info (See link below). One of my mates has one and rates it highly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A mate of mine has one on a Yamaha T-Max. He lives in central London and over the last 4 1/2 years the bikes been stolen / recovered ............ wait for it ........ NINE times.

I'm not going to say where he's hidden the Monimoto, but the 'scrotes have yet to find it.

I've since bought several of them myself, not all of which are on motorbikes. Yet to be tested in anger, but nice to have even if it's only for the "comfort" factor.

Incidentally. Year 1 subs included then 32 euro per year after that for the sim card subscription.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have one on the SDR.
Saved my bike one time (in conjunction with a disc lock) when I was staying in a Premier Inn at Leicester. I was in the bar at just gone midnight when my phone went off. They saw me & 2 mates running from the hotel towards them, jumped into a car and drove off. They had broken the steering lock and cut through the chain I had on the rear wheel, linked to a chain on another bike. Alert on the Monimoto must have been sent when they broke the steering lock & lifted bike off of sidestand.
What they failed to notice was that I had a Road Lok fitted to the front wheel as well. They are a discrete bit of kit that are always with you, as they are permanently fitted to the calliper.
The only pain in the arse with the Monimoto is that you have to change the battery in it about once a year, which means retrieving it from its hiding place then replacing it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have one on the SDR.
Saved my bike one time (in conjunction with a disc lock) when I was staying in a Premier Inn at Leicester. I was in the bar at just gone midnight when my phone went off. They saw me & 2 mates running from the hotel towards them, jumped into a car and drove off. They had broken the steering lock and cut through the chain I had on the rear wheel, linked to a chain on another bike. Alert on the Monimoto must have been sent when they broke the steering lock & lifted bike off of sidestand.
What they failed to notice was that I had a Road Lok fitted to the front wheel as well. They are a discrete bit of kit that are always with you, as they are permanently fitted to the calliper.
The only pain in the arse with the Monimoto is that you have to change the battery in it about once a year, which means retrieving it from its hiding place then replacing it.
I'm getting quite a bit longer than a year out of the batteries by setting the regular "status" messages to once every 10 days (I think the default was daily)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I didn't know you could do that - thanks - I will give that a go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
At least there is no monthly fee, and the way I look at it, tis a lot cheaper than the expenses incurred when I bike gets stolen.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmmm. OK, I would baulk at buying seven of them as well.
Maybe get a couple, to use on your most expensive or most treasured ones?
Or the one that would have to be moved in order to get to the others?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've got a "floating" monimoto that I move between bikes according to what I'm using (basically I ride my 690 mainly in the winter and 1290 in the summer).

Don't really want to say where I hide them, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination you could find an easily switchable location that takes less than 5 mins to change between bikes.

One thing I can't resist admitting to is that I have a sports car with one that lives in a sealed plastic bag INSIDE the coolant header tank for the radiator. Its been in there several months and it still works fine.

I have 7 of them in total .... though 4 of these have been bought through Work. The 1st ones are now over 2 years old. None have ever gone wrong (so far), they all live together nicely on the iphone app. I've started having to change fob batteries after roughly 2 years. As i mentioned before - I have some main batteries at over 18 months old still working now I've set the update frequency at 10 days. You do have to pay subs after the 1st year (about 32 euro)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
A Vodafone tracker on your car is approx £225.00 a year so the same price as 7 monimotos subscription

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do the monimoto, send a text as soon as the bike is touched and moved or only when it moves a few meters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
When touched & moved. If I leave my key fob in my key press, then brush past the bike in the garage, my phone will go off, and keep going off.

It does seem to take about 30 seconds to get the first call though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When touched & moved. If I leave my key fob in my key press, then brush past the bike in the garage, my phone will go off, and keep going off.

It does seem to take about 30 seconds to get the first call though.
Sounds quite good that, I thought it only kicked in when it was moved quite a distance and the gps saw it had moved. I’ll lookin to getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
It can be a pain in the arse working in the garage near to the bike, or strapping luggage to it etc when you forget to have the keys on you, but I'd rather that than it not working until the bike is moving away.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds quite good that, I thought it only kicked in when it was moved quite a distance and the gps saw it had moved. I’ll lookin to getting one.
If the key is in range (up to 10metres) then it shouldn't go off, but I suppose that range will decrease if there are stone walls involved etc. It has a motion sensor so doesn't rely on the GPS.

Good kit, I'm glad I got one from Santa

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe my model is a bit more sensitive than normal?
If my key fob is on the workbench and I move my bike, which is about 8 feet away, my phone will go off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ain't that the truth - it certainly saved it from getting stolen from the Premier Inn at Leicester at the last BBR.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts