KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always have a look on EBay to see what pops up FOR SALE & seems like 99% of off road bikes have just had a recent full engine rebuild, have never been raced only trail ridden, oil changed after every ride & air filter always cleaned 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Unfortunately there are some genuine bikes, but there are also the bull shitters ! Without going to actually see the bike in the flesh and have a proper look and hear it running and see some receipts it's hard to tell.
I sold one a number of years ago to a guy from 100 miles away, and then about a year later I was changing again, and the same guy rang me and said "is it as good as the last bike"? , I said yes, if not better, and he just wired the money into my account and came and picked it up, no haggling !

Premium Member
Made all the worse by the asking price of used bikes at the moment ..... its bonkers. What gets me is when bikes have had a hard life, then get a new set of plastics ........... and the hr meter plugged back in. Cunts!

Registered
You can鈥檛 hide real wear. Check rear caliper wobble. Frame rails near foot rests, manifold for vibration wear from the pipe. Cases where boots rub etc. Chrome on stanchions.

Registered
I bought 2.5 year old bike with 53 hours, bit concerned about if genuine. On 2nd set of plastics which were scruffy.

...but new one would of been 3k more with 1500 quid discount at time which I figured would cover full rebuild and a few years tyres and fuel.

Fitted new plastics as did not like rock star look, 30 hours later they look almost new, so guess I don't try hard enough- but also shows condition may not match use.

Just fitted new linkage set, had suspension reworked and serviced both ends and if I include tyre, chain and service costs I have only spent a grand so far.

Registered
I really think it depends on the original owner/rider. I have a mate who is tighter than 2 coats of paint, and when we go biking his bike is still covered in mud from the last ride, no oil change, no clean air filter, no chain lube..........if he could get away with no fuel, he would.
He goes well, but obviously the quicker the rider, the bigger the crashes, and he does have some spectacular off's 馃ぃ.
I actually enjoy maintaining my bike, and I'm also proud to have it looking and performing as good as possible. Both my bike and his bike will have done similar hours, but look a million miles apart ! I know which one I'd buy 馃

1 - 9 of 9 Posts