KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my right side fork seal is weeping, its still got 18 months warranty left ,will this be covered by warranty when i take it for its next service in the new year?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Definitely, I'd let them know now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just Cleaned everything thoroughly, no Marks/blemishes on stanchion, but very slight weep ...I'll be in touch with dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been in touch with dealer and they say fork seals are consumables and therefore not covered under manufacturers warranty...they have offered to check them for me,how much should i expect a fitted new seal to cost?

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Name the dealer for that bullshit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to try the above method of cleaning the fork seal this morning, i assume the dust seal cap is just a push on fit and prizes off?...i will scrape round the fork leg with a piece of plastic milk bottle and see if it makes a difference!...i have been in contact with KTM and they confirm that fork seals are consumables and are not covered under warranty, however - repair is down to the discretion of the dealer.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I would not accept a fork seal issue after 6 months

·
Premium Member
7,854 Posts
I'm going to try the above method of cleaning the fork seal this morning, i assume the dust seal cap is just a push on fit and prizes off?...i will scrape round the fork leg with a piece of plastic milk bottle and see if it makes a difference!...i have been in contact with KTM and they confirm that fork seals are consumables and are not covered under warranty, however - repair is down to the discretion of the dealer.
Check the stanchion for any microscopic inperfections, the slightest pit or knick will eat through a seal and dealer will need to address. The fork leg move up and down a seal faster than a light bulb flickers. If the dealer doesn't move and you don't want to replace them yourself, you'll get a much better deal at a suspension shop.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I used a part of an old oil container as I tried a milk container, found it too flimsy. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to start the dust seal and once a gap is there, go up a size. When doing the fork seal, be quite firm and feel for the plastic going just past the seal. You will feel it.
Good luck. I'm no expert mind, very satisfying tho

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully got this sorted, i ran a plastic scraper round the inside of the seal yesterday, there did seem to be a bit of fine dirt on it when i had finished, gave the front end a good bounce around and touch wood - no oil on stanchion.,,i'll know for sure when i go for a good ride once the weather improves...thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It will still weep when parked up, or mine did. I left the dust seal out and put blue roll around the stanchion..checked next day was dry.
Well.done

·
Registered
143 Posts
Been in touch with dealer and they say fork seals are consumables and therefore not covered under manufacturers warranty...they have offered to check them for me,how much should i expect a fitted new seal to cost?
name & shame the dealer then we can all fuck him off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was still leaking after i had cleaned it and it showed up after a 20 mile ride, so i bit the bullet and took in into the dealer for a new seal, they were sympathetic but said that KTM would not cover it under warranty as it is a consumable item, they were very polite and professional and so rather than go through the hassle of a claim with KTM for what is not a lot of money , i let them do it....job done!

·
Premium Member
7,854 Posts
This was still leaking after i had cleaned it and it showed up after a 20 mile ride, so i bit the bullet and took in into the dealer for a new seal, they were sympathetic but said that KTM would not cover it under warranty as it is a consumable item, they were very polite and professional and so rather than go through the hassle of a claim with KTM for what is not a lot of money , i let them do it....job done!
If it starts leaking again in 300miles ish, its the stanchion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts