KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Simple question but I imagine no correct answer and just looking for opinions. I've save a bit of money for some more gear and as I already have helmet, boots, goggles and some worky style glothes and clothes I'm looking to spend some money on body protection.

Got £300 to spend but want to know opinions on whether a neck brace or body armour is a better choice. Haven't had any high speed falls yet but want to get some extra protection on me before that happens.

Where do you guys think money could be best spent?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Body armour. Leatt 3df body suit thingy. I have the “lite” version as it allows more air through and isn’t bulky. You don’t know it’s on but you can have healthy tumble and have no injuries. Really good at any speed.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Body armour. Leatt 3df body suit thingy. I have the “lite” version as it allows more air through and isn’t bulky. You don’t know it’s on but you can have healthy tumble and have no injuries. Really good at any speed.

An additional £75 if you need the xxl (over 6ft tall) 😲

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was leaning towards body armour and you guys have convinced me. May go the Leatt route and can get a neck brace in future which is compatible with the armour. Thanks guys 👍

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Lots of discussion on neck braces, especially for enduro use. PPE mustn’t hinder natural movement. You have to make your own choices but I think some training is more valuable than a neck brace for most circumstances.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good suggestion Pindie. I've been reading about neck braces and can see opinions are split. Haven't considered training but would be well up for it. I'll look about and see if there's any decent training providers in Scotland (y)

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Jury is still out on knee braces to I think. Still no 100% proof of protection but definitely help mentally for some but your movement is not as natural. Only the individual can decide. I’m don’t have knee braces yet. I do wear body armour though as it saves damage like this.
Automotive tail & brake light Scar Automotive lighting Food Grass

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jury is still out on knee braces to I think. Still no 100% proof of protection but definitely help mentally for some but your movement is not as natural. Only the individual can decide. I’m don’t have knee braces yet. I do wear body armour though as it saves damage like this.
View attachment 48739
That's nasty Pindie. Is that an elbow?

·
Registered
587 Posts
View attachment 48739
Plenty of pro riders won’t wear body armour, I doubt you will find one that doesn’t wear knee braces. Not an advertisement for them or anything but I got some pods this year, once you’ve worn them a couple of times you don’t even notice them and don’t hinder you’re movement at all. I’ve tried body armour and just felt like the Michelin man.

Although depends on what type of Offroad riding you do. MX guys are more likely to wear armour/neck braces etc. I know Jarvis used to just wear some scratty old knee pad things that looked like they were held together with tape, don’t think that’s the case now though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Are there any knee braces you would recommend in Jorge?
I’ve got pods, but they are expensive although not compared to the makes which do a custom fit. The leatt ones are a bit cheaper and seem to get good reviews.

I rode for years with the basic knee guard type ones but I wouldn’t go back to them now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plenty of pro riders won’t wear body armour, I doubt you will find one that doesn’t wear knee braces. Not an advertisement for them or anything but I got some pods this year, once you’ve worn them a couple of times you don’t even notice them and don’t hinder you’re movement at all. I’ve tried body armour and just felt like the Michelin man.

Although depends on what type of Offroad riding you do. MX guys are more likely to wear armour/neck braces etc. I know Jarvis used to just wear some scratty old knee pad things that looked like they were held together with tape, don’t think that’s the case now though.
Off reading I do at this point is running around an outdoor activity centre which has dirt bikes, ATVs, quads and Land Rovers etc. all chewing up a large area of fields and big hills around a quarry. I'm not doing anything technical and although there's an MX track and I'm riding an MX bike I won't go near it at this point.
I'm generally just trying to learn and pick up speed around big hills and some long straights that may be full of ruts. I've tipped a few times at low speed and have been ok but want to try and think which protection may be good if I'm chucked over the handlebars or if I lose the back end and I end up with the bike on top of me.
I'm possibly worrying too much but think body armour amd knee braces might be good for ne guys.
Might add neck brace in future if it doesn't make me feel like Robocop haha

·
Registered
587 Posts
Off reading I do at this point is running around an outdoor activity centre which has dirt bikes, ATVs, quads and Land Rovers etc. all chewing up a large area of fields and big hills around a quarry. I'm not doing anything technical and although there's an MX track and I'm riding an MX bike I won't go near it at this point.
I'm generally just trying to learn and pick up speed around big hills and some long straights that may be full of ruts. I've tipped a few times at low speed and have been ok but want to try and think which protection may be good if I'm chucked over the handlebars or if I lose the back end and I end up with the bike on top of me.
I'm possibly worrying too much but think body armour amd knee braces might be good for ne guys.
Might add neck brace in future if it doesn't make me feel like Robocop haha
If that’s the case I wouldn’t be bothering with a neck brace or body armour.

That being said protection should always be a personal choice, it’s what you feel comfortable riding in or riding without. Helmet, boots and long sleeves being the exception.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
MMA doesn't allow neck braces..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good suggestion Pindie. I've been reading about neck braces and can see opinions are split. Haven't considered training but would be well up for it. I'll look about and see if there's any decent training providers in Scotland (y)
I use the very same body armour that @Pindie mentioned above.
Probably the best ventilation vs protection out there.(still hot when abroad but tend to take the shirt off)
Would also strongly recommend Podk4 knee braces when the budget allows. I dare to say, these saved me from some nasty knee injuries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use the very same body armour that @Pindie mentioned above.
Probably the best ventilation vs protection out there.(still hot when abroad but tend to take the shirt off)
Would also strongly recommend Podk4 knee braces when the budget allows. I dare to say, these saved me from some nasty knee injuries.
Thanks for more information on gear Alexko. Will definitely be looking up these items 👌

1 - 20 of 21 Posts