KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm after some advice with regards to the correct gear to wear when off roading for the day.

I have got some good Gortex bike gear which was originally brought for my road bike but never used, has some protection but not much but will be ideal for off road.

I have been looking at some Moto X type body armour which is suitable to wear under a jacket without totally restricting movement, unlike Moto X you can be out for the day in all weathers so comfort is important as well as protection.

I am also after some Moto X boots so if anyone can recommend good, but relatively cheap gear it would be appreciated.

What about knee pads?

The list goes…

Cheers

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ive done alot of offroading and i used to race moto-x.

Exactly what kit you want will depend on what sort of terrain and how difficult it is that your gona be riding on.

Personaly i would deffinately go for a set of body armour, not just for any rocks/stones that may flick up at you put if you go smacking into a tree/branch you'll want it. As for what sort you can either go for the traditional MX style armour and get some elbow pads and kidney belt or go for one thats abit like a jacket and has the elbow pads attached.

Deffo get some knee pads.

And ofcourse a set of MX boots.

As for clothing personaly i dont like wearing full on gortex if im going for a hard ride offroad as it makes you sweat alot more. I like to keep cool and just wear my MX trousers and shirt and have a jumper or sumat handy, like in a rucksack to stick on for when you stop for long periods but thats all down to personal preference and how hard your gona be riding.

Not got time to give you some suggestions on good cheap kit. I gota get off the net as they are doing repairs to the system. Im sure someonewill come along with more/better help

·
Registered
78 Posts
Prevention is the best cure, the first time you crack your knee off a tree is the last for a good six months, so no riding comes with it dude. Invest in some well fitting lightweight armour its worth it. I use Dainese and sixsixone gear, the sixsixone stuff is awsome in my opinion.

Have fun in the dirt mate.....

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I use Six Six One mesh top with armour. Good knee protection is more importatant IMHO as my knee suffers from damage caused years ago. It needs to be sturdy and stay in place, the THOR or KTM hinged ones work very well and take the knocks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i have some armour in jacket and trouser form, sort of held together by netting, back protector and chest, wear it all under a light mx shirtalso the legins have thigh pads, not restrictive but bloody good, well worth, cost me £200

·
Registered
574 Posts
i bought some cheap armour last year ands i'll be replacing it some time soon. same as anything: save money and buy the right gear first time.

knee protectors are essential though... i went riding the day i ordered my alpinestar spangly knee guards (ie the day before they arrived) and came home with a ballooned up knee from hitting the start button on the way over the handle bars! :wanker: you live and learn!

·
Registered
78 Posts
i bought some cheap armour last year ands i'll be replacing it some time soon. same as anything: save money and buy the right gear first time.

knee protectors are essential though... i went riding the day i ordered my alpinestar spangly knee guards (ie the day before they arrived) and came home with a ballooned up knee from hitting the start button on the way over the handle bars! :wanker: you live and learn!
Ouch that's gonna sting a bit ! Sod's law getting involved there mate.:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts