KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,Guys

Im new to off road riding and looking to get an idea of what sort of body protection you guys wear for riding trails and single track.

Chris... :)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Welcome bud... I wear the Leatt 3DF Air Lite body protector. Lightweight and protective, low profile and comfortable. Has neck brace loops as well, I run the Leatt 5.5 next brace too... optional though, I ride in the desert so big drops are likely.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I use Pod knee braces too. Also get a good pair of boots, I sustained what could’ve been a leg break from a side impact, got away with an inside malleolus fracture and rode the bike home.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Simple.......wear as much protection as possible, because you will come off...a lot......and it will hurt, even with full protection

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Chest and back protector
Elbow pads
Knee pads
Decent boots
Gloves
Helmet

You can spend foutunes and end up not being able to move. Start simple and see how you go.

Look at dirtbikeexpress.co.uk for a good idea if whats available.

You don't need to spend foutunes to start with.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Leatt armour, as per Miner.
Way better than armoured jacket as they tend to be too loose...as I found out years ago.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Another on the leat d30 body suit. You don’t know it’s on till you crash and it doesn’t hurt. I use their d30 hybrid knee guards as well. Lots of clean fresh gloves. Get as much venting as possible. Getting wet doesn’t matter. Getting to hot does. Decent boots are definitely worthwhile. Fit of everything is important. Anything not perfect don’t bother with. It’ll piss you off and you’ll go shopping again.

Reactions: DougW

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Alpinestars 'bionic' armoured top (protects chest, back, shoulders, elbows + kidney belt combined) had mine for years, comfy as. Knox soft knee guards and Gaerne 12 boots.

Cheaper boots out there but these are very protective and comfortable.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Leatt 3d lite upper,
Asterix knee,
protective pants covering hips and upper thighs, most importantly the best boots you can afford, don't go cheap with your armour etc, you'll be grateful after a crash and you brush it off and carry on

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Knighter. No armour.
A4676DE1-18F4-47F9-8F54-6C82C7C02E9D.png

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Ouch... great if you’re a hardcore pro at an event with medics... but do that in the middle of nowhere and it could put a real damper on your day.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My stuff has lasted years, the only thing I replace are helmets maybe every 2 years

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve got the Leatt 3df airlite too. Really like it. Wear something really well vented over it.
Whenever I fall off I always seem to bash my hips up, so I wear armoured under shorts. Knee pads and decent Mx boots should see you get up unscathed from most offs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some great input guys, thanks.

The Leatt 3df airlite seems to be a popular choice and is on my short list.

Would the Leatt 5.5 protection be over kill for trail riding?.. It seems to be the 3d impact foam with a hard plastic cover over impact points. I would imagine this to be less comfortable that the 3df lite system.

You guys prefer the full body protector item or the separate chest + back / elbow combination?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I used to ride with an Alpinestars GP Pro hard plastic/foam/mesh type body protector similar to the Leatt 5.5 GPX, which I also looked at. My view is that if it’s not too hot to wear (I wore mine in the desert up to 50’C) I would prefer full armour. Better to bounce and get back on it than not.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Some great input guys, thanks.

The Leatt 3df airlite seems to be a popular choice and is on my short list.

Would the Leatt 5.5 protection be over kill for trail riding?.. It seems to be the 3d impact foam with a hard plastic cover over impact points. I would imagine this to be less comfortable that the 3df lite system.

You guys prefer the full body protector item or the separate chest + back / elbow combination?
I have the 5.5 but ended up removing the shoulder protectors as they never fitted well making it pointless. For me a chest and back protector with seperate elbow pads is best and coolest in hot weather as opposed to a body suit that just adds another layer of material around your body that traps heat.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
When racing enduro I always ended up taking shirt off and riding armour only, on trail riding you never really overheat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nobody ever got hurt from being over-protected. On top I wear a Forcefield armour shirt (chest, back, shoulders & elbows), normally under an MX jersey in summer, but if it’s really hot here (or more normally in Spain) I just wear the armour shirt. Armoured shorts, proper knee braces (ruptured an ACL years back, got these for £100 on eBay) and decent boots. Oh, and a helmet and MX gloves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to ride with an Alpinestars GP Pro hard plastic/foam/mesh type body protector similar to the Leatt 5.5 GPX, which I also looked at. My view is that if it’s not too hot to wear (I wore mine in the desert up to 50’C) I would prefer full armour. Better to bounce and get back on it than not.
What do you wear these days, neighbor?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts