KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My datatool immobiliser fob wriggled it's way off it's keyring this evening somewhere In London whilst riding... Got stranded in W6 as although I had the keys I couldn't turn the alarm/immobiliser off!! Thank fook I've got breakdown assistance!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bad luck mate. I took mine off as a) It forked me off every time it forking bleeped when I switched on, b) I thought it would be trouble eventually, probably at the most inconvenient time/place and c) I live in the boonies, and rarely leave it out of my sight when out and about.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If it's a Datatool 3 you can put a code into it so that you can disarm it using the key. It's no good if you don't know/can't remember the code though!

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
That's why you get a credit card with the dedicated emergency code number on it, to put in your wallet :D:D:D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaaah, a secret code eh? Sounds good... Believe it's an S4.

Glad it happened in London and I'm aware of the risk now rather than Morocco (yeah baby yeah!) in 4 weeks!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Aaaah, a secret code eh? Sounds good... Believe it's an S4.

Glad it happened in London and I'm aware of the risk now rather than Morocco (yeah baby yeah!) in 4 weeks!
Yes - take spare keys (but don't carry your own - for obvious reasons :rolleyes:)

...and there's a reason I don't have an alarm on my bike :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not sure what mine is, Datatool system 3 I think. Anyway, it`s set up, so that it only arms itself if I press the button. I rarely leave it anywhere dodgy, so it`s only set when I want it to be.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
That's the one reason I don't have an alarm on mine Craig especially taking it off road through mud and yur favourite..... Water ;) I think my next purchase will be one of the trackers smc660 is selling.

Look in the specials section. £250 and the tracker uses GPS, GSM, and another one which I can't remember. If your bike moves it'll send you a text direct to your phone and you can look on the net to see where it is.

Plus when you take your beast t Morocco it'll do a detailed track log of where you've been.

Great piece of kit IMO.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Having an alarm would give me a discount of around £30 on my annual insurance premium, but as having the alarm fitted would cost ~£300 it didn't seem worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That's the one reason I don't have an alarm on mine Craig especially taking it off road through mud and yur favourite..... Water ;) I think my next purchase will be one of the trackers smc660 is selling.

Look in the specials section. £250 and the tracker uses GPS, GSM, and another one which I can't remember. If your bike moves it'll send you a text direct to your phone and you can look on the net to see where it is.

Plus when you take your beast t Morocco it'll do a detailed track log of where you've been.

Great piece of kit IMO.
Or £35 from Ebay they seem to have the same functions. Spy Mini GPS Tracking Real Time Live Vehicle Tracker on eBay (end time 07-Aug-10 02:11:05 BST)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I just fitted a tracker to my bike. it's made by the people who track our trucks at work and is designed for plant equipment. Normally sells for about £300 though.

Wires to the bike but has an internal battery. When the batterydrops to 70% charge it charges u off the bike. Normal ue the battery last about 10 days before it will take any current from the bike.

I have it set so it is in sleep mode unless it moves. Every 6 hours it sends a 'heartbeat' which logs in with the system to identify it hasn't moved. This is why the battery lasts so well.

It has a sensitive movment sensor - if it detects movement it sends an alert to the online system and starts tracking every minute - it also sends me a text to say it has moved. If it then moves outside of my home address it will text me again.

I can track it online or on my iPone .......... and whenever moving it track logs. Works on GPC and GSM.

In my opinion the difference between good and bad trackers is battery life/consumption. No point having one that goes flat or flattens yer bike.

Pete

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a prick
Luv you too mate ;)

when you get back from canuckistan wanna help me retrace my steps, see if we can find it?? It's only about 8 miles :D

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Sure thing mate.

Pete - id be interested in having one of those off you - and finding out more about it. Talk to you in Wales maybe!

No problem mate - they ain't particularly cheap but it seems to work well and do the job

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Another problem with those trackers is remembering to keep the SIM card topped up ;)

We tend to forget at work, then when you need it you are stuffed :(

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Another problem with those trackers is remembering to keep the SIM card topped up ;)

We tend to forget at work, then when you need it you are stuffed :(
yes that is the problem with the cheaper ones ............... the one someone linked to on Ebay for example didn't have a sim card and you had to provide your own.

This device I am trying has the sim card built in and comes with 3 years free service in on the price. This may be because I already track 70 vehicles with this particular company - and I am looking to place these asset trackers in about 200 trailers - if the deal is right.

I'm gonna trail this unit over the next few weeks - then tie them down to a proce/deal for anyone who might be interested.

Pete

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
How does an underground carpark effect the reception? On my mobile I lose reception when underground.... This is where VHF has it's advantages..
I'm guessing an underground carpark would mean loss of both GPRS and GSM - so the device would just sleep. it would still try to send it's 'heartbeat'.

However - once the bike came out into reception - it'd scream it's little head off telling the system it's moved/moving, send text messages to tell you it is leaving it's home location (you have to draw a box round your home called a geofence).

Basically - wherever the bike is parked for any length of time - you can go online and draw a geofence around it - then set that as home. if it leaves that area it alerts.

Even if parked with no singals - as long as it doesn't move it doesn't matter.

OK - everytime you take the bike out you get a text telling you .......... but that aint no hardship.

Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts