KTM Owners Forum banner
141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
It was great to meet you on Sunday Max, and it was a fun day, its just bad luck that you got caught out, it could easily have been me. Did you have any injuries?
Yeah. Bruised grazed arm. Bruised ribs left and right. Bruised right hip. Re-stimulated right foot injury causing limp. Not too bad really.

Sleeve Automotive lighting Vehicle Finger Vehicle door

·
Registered
316 Posts
PH said on the day, you should be using tyre warmers. That or be real careful on track for 2 laps. I thought I was being careful but clearly i underestimated the low grip of cold tyres out of the pits.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
When l do a trackday, l use my old 950 sm. Tyre pressure is supposed to be 34 front and rear for road use - dropping down to 25 psi works well on a track day, quicker to warm and more grip. Agree on taking it steady for at least 1 lap. Novice group here as well.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
There was a bit of discussion about this as I had received varied advice on the pressure. I settled on 32 front and 34 rear.

33 psi hot is what we aimed for ( about 28 cold) but that was on SC compound and using warmers. That was along time ago and things may have moved on a little since then.

Both yours and Cackhanded's tyres look to have been running hotter than they needed to my eye.

·
Registered
19,258 Posts
33 psi hot is what we aimed for ( about 28 cold) but that was on SC compound and using warmers. That was along time ago and things may have moved on a little since then.

Both yours and Cackhanded's tyres look to have been running hotter than they needed to my eye.
So back off the air pressure a bit?

·
Registered
316 Posts
What happened to the Street Triple 😂
Just after Donnington?
What PH is alluding to here is I have previous (Donington Oct 2017) for coming off on a trackday with cold tyres. I was running K1, K2 Metzeler Racetec the combo without tyre warmers. First lap of second session through Craner Curves. Woke up on a gurney in an ambulance not knowing where the fuck I was. Paramedic said "You've been in a motorcycle accident". I thought that's bollox, what the fuck was I doing riding a motorcycle? Looked down and saw my leathers. I thought well maybe I was. He said I'd highsided at 80. Well I had no injuries whatsoever (except the head injury - being knocked out). The bike hardly had a mark, a couple of tufts of grass/mud and a grazed slider. So clearly a low side. The Racetec tyres are designed for track/racing and work in a narrow temperature range, therefore for tyre warmers. They don't grip very well at all until in temp range, but then they grip like nothing else I've experienced, with amazing feel. They can't do too many heat cycles and decent club racers will get 20 laps out of them (2 races). They are really designed to compete one BSB races distance. So I was using silly unnecessary used Racetec tyres on a trackday and almost certainly lost the rear on a very steady out lap cause of my inexperience. I vowed never too use Racetecs again cause they are not suited to my use of a motorcycle. But I've done it again.... Come off on cold tyres on track.

And PH is just rubbing it in now. Don't ever tell him anything that he can use to rib you on this forum! All I've got on him is he can't spell Donington! I'm really glad I didn't tell him I've decided to wear dresses and demand you use female pronouns when referring to me going forward. 😍

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah but is PH quick? And do you have a photo of him?
He's clever and experienced. He was in intermediates on track so I never rode with him. Nobody overtook me in the novice group in the 2 sessions I completed, and I picked them off in front and made my way to clear track. I doubt I could do that in the intermediate group though. I'd guess PH is smooth and safe riding within his limits, but that is based on chatting to him.

I'll send the photos over.....

141 - 160 of 199 Posts