KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of fitting a Booster Plug to my 1090 to help with the cutting out on run off mainly. Seen a lot of reviews, mainly saying worthwhile. SOME how ever say that they only work for a ltd time, then the ecu learns to circumvent the messages sent to it from the booster plug, reverting to the lean fuel mixture which is the problem. Any one had experience of fitting and using one of these care to comment please.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello & welcome

I am unable to help you with your query, however, I am sure someone will be along shortly to asist.

·
Registered
15,196 Posts
I had one on my HP2 sport and it worked well. I only fitted one because mine was a bit lumpy off the bottom.
As above, heaps of pillow biting BMW riders rate them, but more gender fluid KTM owners bag them, although havent used one. They will be along shortly.

·
Administrator
8,416 Posts
whats the difference between a booster plug (assume fuelling dongle) and a Power Commander?

·
Registered
15,196 Posts
Booster plug just tricks the computer that the ambient temperature is warmer, therefore the bike runs richer.

PC is completely different, you can tune the fuel and air mix.
There really is no comparison.
Booster plug seems to work on factory lean boxer motors.

·
Administrator
8,416 Posts
Booster plug just tricks the computer that the ambient temperature is warmer, therefore the bike runs richer.

PC is completely different, you can completely tune the fuel and air mix.
There really is no comparison.
Booster plug seems to work on factory lean boxer motors.
Thanks for reaching out Bollocks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try a Rapid Bike Easy, it’s better than the Booster plug as it has a microprocessor rather than just a resistor inside it.
It connects to the lambda sensor in the exhaust and tells the ECU that the mixture is a bit too lean.
There are adjustments, but only to align the unit with your bike.
On my 390 Duke the check engine light came on and l had to adjust the “fuelling” control from +2 to +1
What l can say is, it transformed the bike and now l can ride along in traffic in first or second gear without using the clutch.
Before, it surged and lurched at low
speeds in the lower gears. Now l can ride down to 5mph in first gear, or 10mph in second and 15mph in third.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Booster plug works outside of closed loop, rapid bike easy inside it.

Boosterplug have great info on their website, but I am not convinced making a bike richer across the entire (non closed loop) range is perfect as most bikes tend to be a bit rich at WOT, but I guess you get a decent gain on part throttle with maybe a tiny top end power loss.

Fixing closed loop will also help, but the slightest throttle input (even fairly gentle acceleration) will take the bike out of closed loop - where it will still be weak, so also not perfect.

Might try and get my 1290 on a dyno at some point for a fueling check at various throttle openings, if it is not too rich up top already, and shows weak on mid throttle openings (where I spend more time) I would be tempted by a Booster plug, already got one to fit for the Mrs TDM as many TDM owners rate them (and it is pre O2 sensors so this will fix the entire range)

The guy who owns Boosterplug actually owns a 1290 Adventure so you would hope it is good, but not seen any owner testimonies and certainly no dyno runs (and would also need to see part and WOT before and after)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, over on the other KTM forum people have had success with both units (boosterplug and RBE)
I just think that the RBE does it in a better way.
I don’t think any performance increases have been reported, neither device claims BHP improvements.

One other issue, l had to disconnect my unit as the insurance basically had no category for it, only a “power commander”
Despite me sending evidence that the unit is not a “power commander” and not increasing the performance, the premium went up from £85 to £240.

So currently l have had to disconnect it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
One other issue, l had to disconnect my unit as the insurance basically had no category for it, only a “power commander”
Despite me sending evidence that the unit is not a “power commander” and not increasing the performance, the premium went up from £85 to £240.

So currently l have had to disconnect it.
This winds me up, you fit something that makes no odds to power and certainly won't change chances of you having an accident and premium goes mental.

Why I avoid Power Commanders etc these days, it is just too expensive to insure with them - and too risky to have a £15k bike that could be written off and you have given the insurers an excuse not to pay.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I fitted a Booster Plug to my BMW K1300S - didn't make any difference that I could tell........... I wouldn't buy another one

·
Registered
31 Posts
It won’t increase the performance, it’s only designed to smooth out the engine at low RPM.
Unless your bike suffered from poor running at low RPM when riding at slow speed in the low gears (lurching/surging etc as some bikes do due to emissions requirements) the boosterplug/RBE won’t make any difference.
My 2019 Duke 390 was fairly bad in this respect, and the RBE transformed it.

With regards to insurance.

Car insurance has embraced “remapping” and as long as your “engine chip” is no more than 25% extra BHP most insurers are happy with it, and charge very little if any extra premium.
Sadly bike insurance has not yet caught up. Sure, you don’t have to tell them, but if you crash and the unit is found on the bike after it’s recovered to the “insurance approved garage” you may not get paid out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts