KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 350 in early 2017 and have only done about 65 hours in total. I'm bored with it and it really doesn't get used. I'm bored with the practice days, local laning, I did 2 races last year but I'm not sure that's really for me either. I've got the SDR which I do enjoy and will keep for at least another year or two, maybe longer.

I don't know what to do with the 350, sell, px or just let it collect dust. I'm thinking of a 690 Enduro would be better to find new lanes further afield that are too far on the road for the 350, also as an alterantive to using the SDR during those really hot summer days to get to work on. The office is less than 5 miles and it takes longer to get my kit on/off than the actual ride.

Also have a hankering to do a rally one day so this could be a project bike to turn into a rally bike.

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
467 Posts
701. long distance stuff and do some rallyes around the country.

I am being told that Rally is the way to go when I want something else to do other than green laning and enduros.

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
701. long distance stuff and do some rallyes around the country.

I am being told that Rally is the way to go when I want something else to do other than green laning and enduros.
Why the 701 over the 690?

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I’ve a similar problem. My xcw is gathering dust but can’t bring myself to get rid:rotflmao:

The 790 would be my choice over a 690. Another option is the new smally yam tenere. Same price as an enduro bike but you could do decent mileages on it. Yamaha motor and build quality. It looks right to.

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve a similar problem. My xcw is gathering dust but can’t bring myself to get rid:rotflmao:

The 790 would be my choice over a 690. Another option is the new smally yam tenere. Same price as an enduro bike but you could do decent mileages on it. Yamaha motor and build quality. It looks right to.
790 r is about £12k and the 690 is about £9k so quite a difference. Also if I went for a 2016 690 for around £5.5k I wouldn't feel as bad chucking down a lane whereas the 790 could be a different story.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
790 should be near impossible to crash with all the electronics. The price and riding off road would definitely be exciting and solve your boredom problem though. :D

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Adam. Come up here again you liked the lanes up here. Go to hampshire ..... some more demanding stuff there. Do a Jones welsh enduro bootcamp, do the hafren next year ........ the 350 is what you have settled in to, and its a good bike (almost best described as a 3 stroke after my quick blatt on it) ..... you just need to venture further afield.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
If you want to build a rallye bike ....... use a 525 or 950 as a base.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
You can get 950 adv's for under 3k now. Easy to work on and modify. Although my ADV is a 990, it is my most used 'road' bike as its multifunctional and its proverbial landrover acquired 'patina' adds character. If l want to take a green lane shortcut on a road trip then its all good. So, with proper tyres and a few mods, a modded ADV would be ideal.

My ADV has Charlies side stand relocator, a weld 86 sump plate and that is all that is needed really (although better handguards, and a seperate rhs mirror / folding mirrors would save front brake master, although l run my levers loose)

On a practical note, a drain hose from the oil tank has made oil changes straight forward)

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
The downside to SE's is that they are expensive and collectable (and the oil tank location is unfortunate)

In essence, an ADV is already 95% rallye bike with little else needed (ah, add to the above list a soon to be fitted Alon triple clamp clutch cover and subframe reinforcement)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts