KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Nah, it would have to be the 690R for me.

I can't handle that big slab of white side panel on the back of the 701... or the square headlight.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Nah, it would have to be the 690R for me.

I can't handle that big slab of white side panel on the back of the 701... or the square headlight.
Colour and aesthetics aside it’s worth researching the differences between the husky and ktm on 17 / 18 I think the husky got the latest engine with balancer shaft and more power in 17 whereas the ktm waited until 19 . Plus it also had a bigger tank
The discounted 19 model huskies don’t have all the electronics , traction control etc , which could be a bonus for some people

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeh, the Husky is probably a better bike, or at least it was for the earlier ones.
I'm no KTM fanboy though.. I would take an FE over an EXC any day, but that new squared off headlight has put me off a little with those too.

But for me I think the problem with the 701 is one of association.

When I look at that..

I see that..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wow, this thread escalated quickly :)

Thanks for everyones input.

Did some quick calcs and with the issues found so far the bike would cost me £5600 in total. This includes a new (second hand) shock and a new rear wheel rim, spokes, nipples and labour to rebuilt the wheel.
The bits I have not got round checking yet are :

1. Front forks - no visibile signs of leakage or seal damage. Service cost - £150
2. Wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, head bearings - ~£100 for all bearings. I could change these myself.
3. Engine and gearbox. Obviously hard to check crankshaft or lower parts. Head looks good, rocker arms are labeled "15" so must have been replaced at some point. One of the valve clearances is out. But looks OK overall, no apparent chain stretch. Could go into thousands if something goes wrong.
4. Fuel pump.

I think the rest is covered.

To return the bike, it would cost me around £230 in postage fees to send some bits back and van hire costs.

The dealer got back to me

I have received your email and i think the best solution would be for you to return the bike. We did not carry out the MOT but that does not help the little things you keep finding, so to not cause you any more distress Return the bike and i will offer a full refund.
Look forward to seeing you Saturday

Which is fair enough and it's what I will do.

Unless of course any of you want a MINT FSH ENDURO 690 1 OWNER FROM NEW :rotflmao:;)

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
ill give you £2k for it?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yeh, the Husky is probably a better bike, or at least it was for the earlier ones.
I'm no KTM fanboy though.. I would take an FE over an EXC any day, but that new squared off headlight has put me off a little with those too.

But for me I think the problem with the 701 is one of association.

When I look at that..

I see that..

I think a trip specsavers would be best advised before you attempt to ride another motorcycle . :)

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
And did you give that shitter back to the bloody whacker who calls himself a dealer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
And did you give that shitter back to the bloody whacker who calls himself a dealer?
Returned it this morning. Got the money back no questions asked. He waffled a bit about how the MOT wasn't done by them (true) and tried to explain how those issues were not strictly a failure. Said the bike was intended for someone who wanted to strip and rebuild it and that obviously it was not for me.... Thanks for letting me know now.
At that point I was raging inside..
He shook my hand and run off leaving me with his shop assistant to deal with a refund.

Wasn't expecting one, but received no apology or any compensation for the time wasted or van hire costs.

Thanks to everyone for support. Glad I returned that piece of shit and the whole saga is over.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I expect he was quietly crapping himself incase you went to Vosa about the mot , or took the problems to a third party . It’s time to name that dealer so we can avoid him
The dealer was already shared early in the thread...think there was a link to the ad. It's Dave Barkshire just outside Norwich.

I've only dealt with them once...they serviced my wife's Duke. I was not blown away...they seemed disinterested to be honest...but the service was done on time and the bike has been fine since so maybe I'm being harsh...just nothing like the warm welcome and service you get from the BMW lads in Norwich. They've always been great. Can't do enough for you

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Returned it this morning. Got the money back no questions asked. He waffled a bit about how the MOT wasn't done by them (true) and tried to explain how those issues were not strictly a failure. Said the bike was intended for someone who wanted to strip and rebuild it and that obviously it was not for me.... Thanks for letting me know now.
At that point I was raging inside..
He shook my hand and run off leaving me with his shop assistant to deal with a refund.

Wasn't expecting one, but received no apology or any compensation for the time wasted or van hire costs.

Thanks to everyone for support. Glad I returned that piece of shit and the whole saga is over.

Best solution. Maybe a new dot in the never ending learning curve. Now put a pin in it and don't look back. Get a nice bike and take always a friend with you when you look at a new bike. I admit, I tend to be blind and deaf if I want something and the three brain cells that survived in my head scream "buy it bastard!" Always need someone to get me back to reality. Done much more stupid things than you...

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Good that you've got your money back but FFS mate, a 690 with 25k miles on it? What the fuck did you expect??? They're all lemons anyway, no matter the mileage - the worst and most unreliable bike KTM have ever made.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good that you've got your money back but FFS mate, a 690 with 25k miles on it? What the fuck did you expect??? They're all lemons anyway, no matter the mileage - the worst and most unreliable bike KTM have ever made.
From what I heard 2014+ models are reliable?

What would you suggest as a good alternative to 690 then?

I want a relatively light (150-160kg) offroad capable bike with reasonable service intervals (5k+ miles) and 40+ BHP horsepower.

Want to be able to do greenlanes and TET on my own (so needs to be light enough for me to pick up), capable of cruising at 70mph+ on motorways, and I want to use it for commuting to work daily.

I currently own Honda CRF250L Rally which ticks all the boxes except power. Only 20 something BHP is a struggle on motorways and it is lacking fun factor.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts