KTM Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
From what I heard 2014+ models are reliable?

What would you suggest as a good alternative to 690 then?

I want a relatively light (150-160kg) offroad capable bike with reasonable service intervals (5k+ miles) and 40+ BHP horsepower.

Want to be able to do greenlanes and TET on my own (so needs to be light enough for me to pick up), capable of cruising at 70mph+ on motorways, and I want to use it for commuting to work daily.

I currently own Honda CRF250L Rally which ticks all the boxes except power. Only 20 something BHP is a struggle on motorways and it is lacking fun factor.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
Two bikes that fit that description for me we’re CCM 404 and 644 dual sports I’ve owned both I’ve currently got a 644 and it’s a great solid bike , just over 50 hp and lovely WP suspension . The motor has so much character . If I was off to do TET I think that would be my choice great If your looking for a bike you can easily maintain or rebuild yourself
There still a few about for sale

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Do they stop being lemons after 2014 onwards? Are the Husky 701’s any better?

One of my mates has a latest generation 701 and absolutely loves it. Looks like a good alternative to a DR or XR 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
But in answer to your question ....... l would say a 990 ADV, but that might be a bit of a risk with solo tet. My old mate Ian Womack did a load of tet on an XT 660

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
But in answer to your question ....... l would say a 990 ADV, but that might be a bit of a risk with solo tet. My old mate Ian Womack did a load of tet on an XT 660
I was considering 990 ADV R but its heavy and I am not skilled enough to tame it offroad. Same goes for XT660, 200kg and its an ugly looking thing.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I wouldn’t ever have a 690. Heard too much bad stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Two bikes that fit that description for me we’re CCM 404 and 644 dual sports I’ve owned both I’ve currently got a 644 and it’s a great solid bike , just over 50 hp and lovely WP suspension . The motor has so much character . If I was off to do TET I think that would be my choice great If your looking for a bike you can easily maintain or rebuild yourself
There still a few about for sale
Never heard of them but 404 and 644 look a bit dated. Just checked Autotrader and there are quite a few CCM 450 Adventure. They look good spec wise. 125kg, 40bhp from BMW designed engine. That frame is a piece of art.
But how reliable are they how easy is it to get parts?
What are they like for high speed road work? No ABS? Not a deal breaker but surprised they released a bike in 2014 with no ABS. Wasn't there a regulatory requirement at that time ?
Will do some research, thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
But a cheap 950/990 Adventure and chuck a few quid at off-road lessons with the guys at Sweetlamb.
You’ll lose bugger all money if you buy the bike right and it turns out not to be for you, and will gain confidence that’ll help you on any bike you end up with.
A 9x0 will do everything you are wanting it to do, and are pretty easy to pick up if you eat your weetabix and know the knack!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Definitely a contender, especially with a new off the shelf kit you can now buy to get more power out of them.
But they are 30kg heavier than a KTM / Husky 500, and more expensive - and still have less power than the KTM 350 engines....

...Or to put it into perspective, for about £11k you get a bike that weighs about the same as a DRZ400S, has about the same power as a DRZ400S, yet needs servicing / rebuilding way more often than a DRZ400S.

Round of applause for Honda everyone!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Thing is, I would happily say a 500 exc, because service intervals for non-racing riding can be as long as you like within reason. But most people will not look beyond what the manual says.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
15788264419442645764488080273040.jpg
How about one of these not as good as a 690 off road but very versatile and good on the road...reliable rotax thumper fairly light...had mine years and it's great...half the money of a Ktm

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Never heard of them but 404 and 644 look a bit dated. Just checked Autotrader and there are quite a few CCM 450 Adventure. They look good spec wise. 125kg, 40bhp from BMW designed engine. That frame is a piece of art.
I loved that bike when it first launched but I also distrusted CCM as they were peddling cheap Chinese CRF230 clones at the same time, which were total shite.
There was also suppose to be 600 coming but it never did.

Parts could be an issue. The good thing about touring on a KTM or big four Jap bike is that you can usually get parts easily if needed.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
From what I heard 2014+ models are reliable?

What would you suggest as a good alternative to 690 then?

I want a relatively light (150-160kg) offroad capable bike with reasonable service intervals (5k+ miles) and 40+ BHP horsepower.

Want to be able to do greenlanes and TET on my own (so needs to be light enough for me to pick up), capable of cruising at 70mph+ on motorways, and I want to use it for commuting to work daily.

I currently own Honda CRF250L Rally which ticks all the boxes except power. Only 20 something BHP is a struggle on motorways and it is lacking fun factor.

XR 650 Liquid cooled.

https://www.rideadv.com/ride-adventures-tour-and-rentals-blog/the-ktm-690-enduro-vs.-honda-xr650r-honda-where-are-you

Silly money this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MWRacing-Honda-Xr650R/143492792408?hash=item2168d64058:g:LjkAAOSwtp9eDvVO

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
5000 mile service intervals? I wouldnt leave oil in any bike for that long, let alone a thumper.
5000 miles I'd say it will be dry

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Yes, no clue how to get full power out of them, but for riding TET probably one of the best bikes. New Tenere 700, heavy but capable of doing TET and very comfy...but the Honda aswell as the Yam are darn expensive.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts