KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have recently bought a bike from a mechanic. Found it on ebay classified ads.
Turns out after only 200 miles there is a noisy problem with the gear box.
The cost to repair the bike is £1500-£1800 + VAT. This essentially writes it off.
To date the previous owner has said it was sold as seen ( - not written on the ad) it was a classified add and it worked when he had it.
I will investigate legal options but if I were to break the bike how much would I get for the parts?
Are there keys parts any of you guys would like and importantly how much?
The engine is in great working order except the gear box.
Comfort seat, tuned cans / air box, Bembo rims.
Kindest regards,
Nicholas

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Hunt through recent posts. Someone was struggling to gets some parts from KTM.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Once you start to break a bike you are committed to it, and if it's not a popular bike (the SM's weren't) you'll end up with chunks of it hanging around for ages.

If you're keen to move on then instead maybe consider coming with a tempting price to move it on as "in need of repair" or maybe have it repaired and sell it as a good bike and cut your loses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not look for a donor engine, or take it to someone who can make a diagnosis. Noisy problem with gearbox could be as simple as selector drum or clutch bearing. Personally I'd strip it and look see, 2 grand seems excessive to me, if you boxed engine and sent it for a complete rebuild would be about same price.
How much would a sensible donor engine cost - for a reliable engine it would have to cost about the same.
As a non-mechanic there are a couple of issues why I don't think taking it apart myself is a good idea. Approx cost of gaskets, bearings etc assuming all largely ok approx £500. There is a need for specific pullers which I don't have access to. The costs will mount up quickly I would have thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once you start to break a bike you are committed to it, and if it's not a popular bike (the SM's weren't) you'll end up with chunks of it hanging around for ages.

If you're keen to move on then instead maybe consider coming with a tempting price to move it on as "in need of repair" or maybe have it repaired and sell it as a good bike and cut your loses.
Sounds like sensible advise. Will wait to see if it can be resolved with the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Can there be any come back on a private sale?
Only if it can be proven that the seller knew about the fault at the point of sale, and failed to disclose it.
200 miles, and then it becoming apparent; tricky case to prove.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
How much would a sensible donor engine cost - for a reliable engine it would have to cost about the same.
As a non-mechanic there are a couple of issues why I don't think taking it apart myself is a good idea. Approx cost of gaskets, bearings etc assuming all largely ok approx £500. There is a need for specific pullers which I don't have access to. The costs will mount up quickly I would have thought.
There are two dogs on flea bay, keep looking and phone around breakers. I'd say about a grand-1200 for complete engine, you could fit that yourself. Gasket kit last time I looked was £270, there is a complete transmission on flea bay from a SD for £124 quid. I'd say a complete rebuild, someone like Kev about 500 quid.

My advice to you is, find a recommended decent machanic who can diagnose the issue first. I'm not talking dealers here, I dont trust their machanics and I certainly wont entertain their hourly rate. Even if that means £200 to strip engine, the LC8 engine is well known for dislodged gear selector drum pins, thats the cost of the part and a clutch gasket. Where about's in the world are you?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As much as we'd all like to think that would work out well I suspect the real outcome would be an all expenses paid holiday at one her majesty's finest, for up to 5 years I'd guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts