KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit long winded but I Just bought a 2008 990 adventure that was faultless on the test drive from a private sale. Rode the bike home approx 8 miles no problems on the reserve light. A couple of days later I went out for a proper ride, popped to the garage and put 5 litres in each tank, 20-30 minutes later the bike started popping and losing power, could only use a quarter or a third of the throttle, any more than that and the bike was not responding. I limped the bike towards home and stopped at a garage and thought I would top it up with fuel to see if it made any difference... turned bike off and opened both fuel caps but noticed the garage had just closed, started the bike and low and behold it was running normally again as if nothing had happened ?? I thought straight away ‘air lock’ ? I had the left side tank off Today and the top front vent hose is missing, the mid way hose goes down past the clutch slave cylinder, the other top vent hose goes across the frame to the other fuel tank on the right hand side... I can’t figure out where the missing hose would go ?? Does it Hang straight down The tank or Does it go over to the right hand tank. I’ve not taken the other tank off yet but I’m guessing the top front hose will be missing too. I’ve taken the fuel pump out... looks like it’s never been out before for a filter change and the bike has done 18.5k miles Before I took the left tank off I filled the bike right up and rode a good 2 hours with no issues ??? I am hoping it’s just something simple like a pinched vent hose that caused the problem but I do need to know where that missing hose goes. Any help would be much appreciated on possible reasons why it may have done this. Cheers Rusty.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I think - but please do your own research as l cant remember exactly, but the pipe that hangs down is the one that drains off any fuel that spills around the filler cap/s

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think - but please do your own research as l cant remember exactly, but the pipe that hangs down is the one that drains off any fuel that spills around the filler cap/s
Thanks for your reply.
the vent pipe connection that's near the top of the tank goes across to the other tank and acts as a equaliser I think ?
the middle vent pipe is from the tank filler neck and routes down to the clutch slave cylinder ?
the one I have a problem with is the forward / top connection.... hose is completely missing. My research so far is that some guys say it routes up around the back of the instrument panel and into the other tank tank ??? On the ktm parts diagram it shows the hose just hanging downwards from the connection ??? Confusing lol and really annoying as I need to get It right to see if it stops the ‘suspected air lock’ ?? Thanks again appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Ah, thats it ...... itfits into the back of the panel that the indicator is attached to. Sorry, its been a while since l took my tanks etc off (a year ago to do the filters [l have an extension pipe drain hose for draining oil tank])

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, thats it ...... itfits into the back of the panel that the indicator is attached to. Sorry, its been a while since l took my tanks etc off (a year ago to do the filters [l have an extension pipe drain hose for draining oil tank])
Ah right !! I've seen that right hand side tank has a vent hose coming out the top/front and goes into the inside of the fairing that holds the indicator... so Im guessing it just sits in there and does not connect both tanks as some guys are suggesting ?? Thank you for your help.
Fuel pump / filters or flapendectomy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
The bike has 18.5k miles on it and I don't th
Fuel pump / filters or flapendectomy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I don't think the fuel pump has ever been out the tank... I've ordered a filter kit and new breather hoses, the bike has done 18.5k miles and has full service history.... I guess a new pump if the filters and missing hose doesn't work. Thank you for replying..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 'flapenductomy"... is this a easy fix for the 990 venting issues as I have no idea what it is or how to do it ?? wouldn't the after marketl mx style breather caps do the same thing, apart from not being able to lock them and costing ££ ?? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi there my 990 adv at 18k was doing the same thing it just sort of happened 1 day.i replaced the fuel filters with a set from gefr off this forum and all is good with the world

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I think - from my experience - that venting issues only happen if oem system is incomplete / gets pinched up when putting tanks back on. Just take care and it shouldbe ok.

The HOW info is good, but our american friends can tend to 'fix' problems that dont always need to be fixed all of the time.

If you digested all that is in the HOW, it would put you off having an LC8 motored bike!

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there my 990 adv at 18k was doing the same thing it just sort of happened 1 day.i replaced the fuel filters with a set from gefr off this forum and all is good with the world
Thanks for replying... I really hope that's all it needs, I think the shop that last carried out the service have not reconnected the breather hose and its now lost ?? The left tank petcock came apart when turning off the fuel to remove the tank... so got to replace that as well. not a good start to owning this bike.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Ha! - dont get me started on what l had to do with my adv ........ clutch booster, rear master cylinder, filters, tune ecu, wheel bearings, headstock bearings, fixing leaky alpinas ....... but now its a solid bike. Love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just put it back together properly, and it will be ok.
Fair comment... I’ll get the new breather installed, swap the fuel pump filters and see if the problem comes back ?? Thank you for trying to help me out I do appreciate it bud

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
What ship said. Plus it's good to get to know the bike, teething problems that's all.
The main thing to do is when you put the Tanks back on, check and recheck the you haven't pinched or routed the breathes incorrectly, as they will pinch for sure. The top breather is not that Important, as it just sits in the side fairing for expansion, I presume. Left mine off for 4K once as I forgot to replace it when fiddling with my spotlights doh
I had a 990 08plate, did 44K on her, never changed the fuel filter, on the premis if it's not broke don't fix it. If you have the filter out, be careful with the O rings putting it back together, so.i have heard, may be best to replace with new one as petrol will perish them.
Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What ship said. Plus it's good to get to know the bike, teething problems that's all.
The main thing to do is when you put the Tanks back on, check and recheck the you haven't pinched or routed the breathes incorrectly, as they will pinch for sure. The top breather is not that Important, as it just sits in the side fairing for expansion, I presume. Left mine off for 4K once as I forgot to replace it when fiddling with my spotlights doh
I had a 990 08plate, did 44K on her, never changed the fuel filter, on the premis if it's not broke don't fix it. If you have the filter out, be careful with the O rings putting it back together, so.i have heard, may be best to replace with new one as petrol will perish them.
Good luck
Ive already stripped the fuel pump down ready for the new filters and o-rings and will reinstall the pump with care along with double checking the breather hoses when the tank goes back on, I think I will have the right side tank off again and double check for any pinched breather hoses whilst I'm at it. I've just been out to the bike and looked at the left side fairing and tucked away inside was the 'missing' breather hose, but it wasn't connected to the tank when I took it all apart. Thank you for your input... love the bike by way, just want to enjoy my ride time and not be faffing around fixing it all the time... lol wishful thinking !! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I had an 08 Adv I bought from a guy who rode it to Morocco, it needed a few bits doing but was a great bike.
Highly recommend while the tanks and bash plate are out of the way you have a look at the starter relay, clean it up and silicone grease the fuse and connections.
Check for corrosion and clean/grease the battery terminals and the big battery connector. In fact check any wiring down there for damage and corrosion.
My bash plate and battery box were full of sand and gravel and the big fuse in the relay was almost corroded away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have my battery optimiser cable that need routing through from the battery, whilst I'm in there I will take a look at the things you've mentioned and have a clean up. To be fair I didn't know the battery was down by the bash plate, I naturally assumed it was in the traditional location under the seat lol. Thanks very much for your helpful comment

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I do have my battery optimiser cable that need routing through from the battery, whilst I'm in there I will take a look at the things you've mentioned and have a clean up. To be fair I didn't know the battery was down by the bash plate, I naturally assumed it was in the traditional location under the seat lol. Thanks very much for your helpful comment
Yes it's in an excellent place perfect for water crossings!..I have learnt lots about my 950 from the little niggles that have popped up but lots of info out there and quite like getting it right..love mine

1 - 20 of 38 Posts