KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Yes it's in an excellent place perfect for water crossings!..I have learnt lots about my 950 from the little niggles that have popped up but lots of info out there and quite like getting it right..love mine
Now I didn't give water crossings a thought.... Battery and other electrics getting drowned ?? I will be using the bike for mainly road and green lanes, I've sold my 350xcf and finished riding enduro, my body can't take the punishment anymore... no deep water crossings for me anymore lol. I've had about 3 hours on mine until it started to play up... the bike handles really well with loads of power, im looking forward to getting it running correctly and enjoying being out on it, here in Cornwall the roads are usually jam packed this time of year but because of the lockdown we have a bit more road to ourselves. 馃憤

Premium Member
I put a dry break connector in the bottom balance pipe so I could take the tanks off without ever touching those horrid taps.
I also did the flap clipping thing. And removed the hidden allen screw out the cap so the whole assembly could be removed if the lock failed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Fuel pump rebuilt with new filters an o-rings etc, the bigger of the two filters was caked, I cut it open and it was pretty much packed with fine grey powder. Just waiting on the new fuel tap and then put it all back together and test drive by the weekend. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out... Thank you. I'll let you know how the bike is behaving after testing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I put a dry break connector in the bottom balance pipe so I could take the tanks off without ever touching those horrid taps.
I also did the flap clipping thing. And removed the hidden allen screw out the cap so the whole assembly could be removed if the lock failed.
I'm going to do the fuel caps if I get another air lock but only after I've tested the bike with new fuel filters etc and double checking all breather hoses. Can you recommend a supplier for the dry break connectors as it's something I may do a bit later on... Thank you for commenting and your input.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Just a quick update... installed new filters on the fuel pump and put everything back together making sure no pipes were kinked or pinched etc. Out on the bike today and bike was running fine, stopped for a break and a cigarette, started the bike and pulled away and it went straight back to the original same issue... could only get quarter throttle and the odd backfire, I managed to reach into my pocket and grab the spare keys and opened both fuel caps whilst crawling along... no difference so not air locked ?? The strange thing is that I鈥檝e got roughly the same amount of fuel of 5 litres in each tank and covered approx same distance as before when it started playing up ??? I managed to get it to a friends house, it tries to start, runs for a couple seconds and dies.... I鈥檓 thinking the fuel pump gone intermittent and now all but packed up or maybe regulator/rectifier has gone ????

Registered
If you've got that much fuel in it would suggest to me that it's a pump issue which is a pain as you've had all this out once

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
If you've got that much fuel in it would suggest to me that it's a pump issue which is a pain as you've had all this out once
I am thinking the same... the old filters I took out of the pump were caked, I thought result I鈥檝e found the problem but it鈥檚 Exactly the same Issue, roughly same amount of fuel and roughly same distance travelled, but now it won鈥檛 idle or rev... well it will idle for 2 seconds and then die ?? Plus the bike is stuck 3 miles away a my mates place lol god dam I wish I kept my AA relay going !! Thanks for replying.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Update.... got the bike home yesterday and tried to start it.... nothing. installed a brand new fuel pump, removed and tested the regulator rectifier, brand new battery installed fully charged.... bike will turn over on the button but still won鈥檛 fire up ??? at a bit of a loss as to where to start looking next... side stand maybe ??

Registered
Have you re-checked your relay wiring. The two wires that go from the bottom end of relay. There must be something you missed, or not checked. You have worked through the fuel issue I think. It maybe as the bike warms up, its making a bad broken/loose connection worse

Premium Member
Yeah have a good look at the starter relay and it鈥檚 fuse and the bundle of common wires just nearby bundled together in a crimp, I had an 08 with 8k on it only 2 years old and these were starting to rot away.
The other place to look is around the headstock area, the loom can crack or rub through. Check all your fuses are clean and no corrosion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Have you re-checked your relay wiring. The two wires that go from the bottom end of relay. There must be something you missed, or not checked. You have worked through the fuel issue I think. It maybe as the bike warms up, its making a bad broken/loose connection worse

I鈥檓 thinking about getting a new regulator rectifier just in case I messed up testing the one on the bike ? I鈥檓 doubting myself now as I would have put money on the reg/rec playing up as when it kept stalling a few days ago, it was as though my battery didn鈥檛 take long at all to go dead ?? I haven鈥檛 looked around the starter relay as the new battery is turning the bike over as it should, it just doesn鈥檛 fire Up ?? I鈥檝e not checked the negative earth lead off the battery either for a good grounding... yet. I鈥檓 not that hot with electrics to be honest. A previous owner has tried to do the SAS mod on it I鈥檝e noticed, looks a bit of a mess to be honest as the pipes are all Still connected and disconnected sensors coming Off the exhaust headers. Lash up but no fault light at all ???

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah have a good look at the starter relay and it鈥檚 fuse and the bundle of common wires just nearby bundled together in a crimp, I had an 08 with 8k on it only 2 years old and these were starting to rot away.
The other place to look is around the headstock area, the loom can crack or rub through. Check all your fuses are clean and no corrosion.
Will take a look tomorrow after work... I can see this bike going in for repair and a dirty great fat bill coming my way... I鈥檒l keep going At it for a minute until I loose my mind. It will probably turn out to be something simple that I鈥檝e overlooked. I appreciate you guys trying to help me out... thank you !!

Registered
The starter relay is quite straight forward. Just remove it all slowly, take photos of each step, inspect and it will soon be obvious if something is wrong, clean and pack with vaseline. It takes me about 30 mins. The worst bit is getting it out of the rubber housing. Lots of brake spray cleaner is your friend
Good luck
Look at the bottom of first page for pics

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Update.... I'm pretty confident I have found and fixed the problem !!
I have been going over and over testing with the multi meter and worked my way all the way back to the fuel pump ?? Now I have had the fuel pump out twice from the fuel tank, firstly to change the filters inside and secondly to install a new pump unit, but the bike still broke down. This evening I pulled the fuel pump assembly out for the third time after getting no reading from the pins inside the plug socket when testing with the multi meter, I double checked this with a battery/bulb test and that also showed nothing. I popped the plastic top off it and then pulled the red wire off followed by the black wire and proceeded to unscrew the tiny screw which holds the black wire to the side of the pump frame.... I gave the red wire a little pull to make sure it was secure, it was.... little pull on the black wire and it popped straight off its pin.... It wasnt secure and was lose !!! These connectors have a tiny tang that locks the connection, this one at some point had not been pushed on far enough for it to lock in. Anyway the up shot is the fuel pump is now alive and tested good on the kitchen table. I will now throw it all back together, just waiting on the 2 new large rubber o-rings before i refit the fuel pump to the tank and try it.... fingers crossed it's all good. My theory is that at some point someone had had the pump apart and popped both wires off but didn't push the black connector down far enough on the pin to lock it on... with the vibration of the pump buzzing it slowly became loose causing a intermittent connection ??? Bit of a detailed long winded update but if it helps someone else out then great !!! I was totally stumped, it was showing a reading when I last put the meter over it the other day ?? We live and learn i guess. Will report back when the bike is altogether and I try to fire it up.

Registered
I'm in Cornwall and have owned a 950 Adv for over a decade, so am here to help if needed.

I'll be of little use with your current problem though, as my bike has a different fuel system.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts