KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in the title, anyone done any? I assume they are well organised with food vans etc.
How about the general format.....obviously the tests but any liaison sections even if small?
How about warming up before getting in to the first test with a few miles of off-road?
A first sighter / practice loop?
This is generally ok for the top boys as they practice all the time, but I need to get "in to the riding" ideally before going in to do a test! This is always the issue with the Welsh for me.....ride 2 miles on the road, straight in to a 5 mins test. I'm generally much happier by I get to the second test.....

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’ve done a couple and they’re generally very well run. Good tracks and well organised.
Ive not known any Liason sections.

Unless the format has changed then everyone gets 1 timed run through which isn’t counted to your result so you can take your time.

Pro/expert - clubman- sportsman etc will be the order for the first run, after this however it will just go on your time from the last run so mixed classes depending on pace.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Pro/expert - clubman- sportsman etc will be the order for the first run, after this however it will just go on your time from the last run so mixed classes depending on pace."

Hmm, that's interesting, so I guess this means less chance overtaking as you will be around people of similar speed with enough spacing then?!

At the Welsh I've always tried to leave a big gap but in 2019 caught someone who wouldn't let me passed, so squeezed up the inside before a tight section and hit a hidden tree stump.....broke the end of my big toe off, not much fun!

·
Registered
434 Posts
"Pro/expert - clubman- sportsman etc will be the order for the first run, after this however it will just go on your time from the last run so mixed classes depending on pace."

Hmm, that's interesting, so I guess this means less chance overtaking as you will be around people of similar speed with enough spacing then?!

At the Welsh I've always tried to leave a big gap but in 2019 caught someone who wouldn't let me passed, so squeezed up the inside before a tight section and hit a hidden tree stump.....broke the end of my big toe off, not much fun!
Yes the first timed run you can get a little traffic but once you get a couple of tests done then it’s ok as then everyone is evenly paced.

Think it’s a 15 - 20 second gap so it’s quite good as they can be close enough to see to chase.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the reply. I assume you can walk the test beforehand too.

As I've got older the idea of beasting myself on H&H has become less appealing......but I always love the special tests at SEEC events, Welsh etc, so these events seems perfect, plus you can get away with being less bike fit. I've sold my 300 as not going to do anything extreme, and fancy a 350F ready for my last year or two of competitions

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Great, thanks for the reply. I assume you can walk the test beforehand too.

As I've got older the idea of beasting myself on H&H has become less appealing......but I always love the special tests at SEEC events, Welsh etc, so these events seems perfect, plus you can get away with being less bike fit. I've sold my 300 as not going to do anything extreme, and fancy a 350F ready for my last year or two of competitions
Bear in mind that you could be doing 8-10 laps flat out. It could still be a long and tiring day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, but guess can get more fuel in me at least!

Other positive is I've suffer with numb hands on the bikes forever (>20 years and countless bikes and failed solutions), but counter balanced 2 strokes were a game changer, hence I felt a little stuck on them (lovely bikes but fancy a change)......but the nice thing about time card and specials is that you aren't riding long enough to get it really bad, and hands can recover too, so can go back to a 350F :) I'm vaguely hoping that a 350F will also be better suited to these events, but it might be a bit of wishful thinking.......

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used to do the test and then go back to the van. Normally get at least 10-15 minutes to have some food and a drink and then I used to go back up early to watch the top few guys for a few minutes before doing my next test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts