KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener first time caller so hello everyone.

I have a 450SX, couple of weeks ago I managed to break the split washer in the clutch assembly meaning the whole clutch came loose...fixed that, put everything back together and started it up, but had no clutch. This turns out to be the slave cylinder - the end of it has broken off meaning the ball bearing and the little piece it sits in just falls out now, if you've seen what the inside of it looks like you'll know what I mean. Anyhoos... does anybody have any idea whether having the clutch casing off could break the slave cylinder if the clutch was pulled in?? I'm only thinking this as I broke another slave cylinder last summer when I had it off the bike and stupidly pulled the clutch in to see how it worked! I'm getting fed up of breaking cylinders now so thought I'd seek advice to see if there was any other reason anyone might know as to why it may have broke as to prevent it doing it again.

Cheers guys (and girls)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Long time listener first time caller so hello everyone.

I have a 450SX, couple of weeks ago I managed to break the split washer in the clutch assembly meaning the whole clutch came loose...fixed that, put everything back together and started it up, but had no clutch. This turns out to be the slave cylinder - the end of it has broken off meaning the ball bearing and the little piece it sits in just falls out now, if you've seen what the inside of it looks like you'll know what I mean. Anyhoos... does anybody have any idea whether having the clutch casing off could break the slave cylinder if the clutch was pulled in?? I'm only thinking this as I broke another slave cylinder last summer when I had it off the bike and stupidly pulled the clutch in to see how it worked! I'm getting fed up of breaking cylinders now so thought I'd seek advice to see if there was any other reason anyone might know as to why it may have broke as to prevent it doing it again.

Cheers guys (and girls)
Hi yeah don't pull clutch whilst case is off or the plunger will push against the very weak circlip mount and bust it..........

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I'll have your fooked on to use as a blank, please :)

Yes, the slave has a spring inside so it will always push the piston up to the circlip, squeeze the lever and it will pop the end off :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have two kev! whereabouts in yorks are you? -from york myself

thats exactly whats happened anyway, someone must have squeezed the clutch while the cover has been off in the last few weeks. One other thing I just thought of.. I'd just replaced the oil and now have a full resevoir of clutch fluid swimming about with the normal oil, should I replace the oil or do you think it will be okay? Does look a bit creamy so I'm not sure. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts