KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know guys its one of them threads blah blah but maybe someone can just point some info out that I’m not aware of..

I’m going to build a pure track sm bike so will not need to be road legal just needs to be a fast capable track bike. I currently have a 01 250 EXC and I love everything about KTM’s but I have not had a chance to ride any of the newer bigger models.

My current choices are either a Honda CRF450 or a KTM RFS 450 probably around 04?. My budget is around 2k to build. I have wheels and brakes etc to fit KTM but nothing for CRF. What would you guys suggest I do – get a 450sx and use my current bits on that and convert it to 6spd? I’m just wondering if there are any areas that the CRF will excel over the KTM or is there not much between them? Maybe someone has owned both and can let me know..

Thanks for any advice guys:)

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Not sure if you saw Shawns thread from a couple of weeks ago? He built a customised track 525 which looked the nuts! Here's a 525 Linky

Not the same bike you're talking about using but a great thread and might give you a few ideas

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I know guys its one of them threads blah blah but maybe someone can just point some info out that I’m not aware of..

I’m going to build a pure track sm bike so will not need to be road legal just needs to be a fast capable track bike. I currently have a 01 250 EXC and I love everything about KTM’s but I have not had a chance to ride any of the newer bigger models.

My current choices are either a Honda CRF450 or a KTM RFS 450 probably around 04?. My budget is around 2k to build. I have wheels and brakes etc to fit KTM but nothing for CRF. What would you guys suggest I do – get a 450sx and use my current bits on that and convert it to 6spd? I’m just wondering if there are any areas that the CRF will excel over the KTM or is there not much between them? Maybe someone has owned both and can let me know..

Thanks for any advice guys:)
CRF will probably have more power, loads of parts available 2nd hand for both bikes.

You want to hold out for a 05> ktm, better frame and billet clamps on 450 SXs. You should be able to get a 05 450 SMR for about 2K though, better buy as it will have SM suspension and 6 speed gear box. Wait until the end of the season and you should be able to pick up a bargain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links guys and input! Didn't know the SMR's could be had for that I'll keep my eye out:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts