KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a bit of advice.

I have agreed a sale through eBay and the buyer has left a £500 deposit.

Hes now requesting a picture of the v5 to make sure the address matches the one bike courier is going to.

I can't help but feel uneasy about sending a picture of my logbook can I be scammed?

Anyone with experience of this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If they had come to look at the bike in person it would seem reasonable to show them the V5 but not sure if they could be scamming you or not.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Just blur out the V5 number. Not aware of any scam around V5's, but if a scammer was after anything, it would be that number.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Don't show him anything till he's payed in full

Reactions: kfa950sm

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got scammed on a van and the seller used a picture of the V5 to get the deposit out of me, so the other way around to this situation but i guess this guy could clone your details and do the same to others.

Just send him the info he needs maybe and not the picture? Tricky really.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I'd just send a picture with the details he wants to see and blur/cover all the other information ... if that wasn't good enough I'd tell him to jog on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've bought and sold lots of bikes and cars over the years but never had this request. Hpi check can be done with the number plate surely? And also was concerned he may be able to transfer ownership online with the details off the v5?
I've just HPI checked a van and there's only so much information on the reg number they can obtain without the VIN.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Send him a photo of the address good enough so he can see it’s log book paper and absolutely nothing else

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
How has he paid the 500 quid
Transfer or paypal

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
How is he going to pay you the rest of the money and when?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deposit was made by bank transfer. He says he will make the remainder of the payment by bank transfer once courier has confirmed its the bike. I will keep the bike locked until I confirm payment has cleared. Still seems a little iffy or maybe im just getting old and paranoid?

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Deposit was made by bank transfer. He says he will make the remainder of the payment by bank transfer once courier has confirmed its the bike. I will keep the bike locked until I confirm payment has cleared. Still seems a little iffy or maybe im just getting old and paranoid?
I think a bit of paranoia is healthy when selling a bike. Any genuine buyer would understand that.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
When selling a bike I give them post code to local petrol station and I want pic of driving licence beforehand..... I go round on bike and show them .... if they buy I take them back to mine ......I ain't giving nobody my address ...decent people always understand that

Reactions: Enduro Rider

·
Registered
19 Posts
ive just had similar. Took a £200 deposit on my RC8R. he's sent me photos of his utility bills etc and i don the same. With a photo of V5 and my driving license. (blanked my DOB and license number) i don't see any harm in V5 photo as it states having V5 don't prove owership. Anyway he is transferring rest of cash today and courier collects tomorrow. I've made clear i want to see funds cleared before end of today if not there is not point the courier coming tomorrow. Seems ligit but i'm nervous until i have all the money and bike handed over

1 - 20 of 34 Posts