KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello been on the forum for ages and thought i better say hello and ask for your advice.I am thinking of getting myself a 2nd hand 950 adventure.I have a Triumph street triple R the now but my commute of 60 motorway miles is no fun(even worse in the snow and rain) on it so would be selling it to help fund the Ktm.Used to have a Ktm 690 but sold that to get the Triumph.

Would be helpful if anyone could tell me what to look for other than the normal things when buying 2nd hand?
As i will be doing atleast 16000 miles a year how easy are they to service?(Im handy with a spanner as im a car mechanic)
Are they really as comfortable as they look sitting on motorways?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Evening mate - welcome - Il have a cup of tea please

16,000 miles a year will get you nearly 4 services (if you follow the interval advice) but I do my own as the year goes on - preventative like. I find it a joy to work on, however oil change is time consuming, but they go together and come apart fairly easily.

There are known issues - fuel pump - make sure it is fitted with a Facet instead of standard one, water pump shaft needs replacing ever 16,000 ish miles otherwise you can end up with water in your oil, valves dont seem to go out of kilter too much - depending if you rev the nuts of it - so every 10,000 miles should be checked. On motorways they are comfy but some experience buffeting at speed - never bothered me but take one for a test ride to be sure.

There are electrical issues but a quick check of the necessary areas and you should be fine as they usually show up as a mass of wires hanging out of a connector block!

The other 99% of the time they are the best fookin bike you will ever own - take a test ride but have the money in the bank before you do, and start saving for off road days/weekends and time away from the missus/boyfriend/animal/hand unless you have this covered already.

950's are better than 990's

and black is by far the best colour.....and faster.....and the owners of such a selection are way more awesome

Amen

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Things to look out for:

1) what year model is it: Different years have different issues. Early 2003 models have more (unless theyve been worked on to upgrade them - most are not) - later models have less. The one exception to that is that the 2005 models (last of the 950's) introduced a starter torque limiter which created more problems than it cured. But you can upgrade the parts yourself for about 120 quid + 1 hrs work.
- in particular, 2003 models have (very, very low, but exist nonetheless) incidences of clutch basket weakness, a casting-related swingarm failures (when jumping the bike).

2) check for corrosion on the case as the exhaust loops over the clutch housing. Its hard to clean & being wet & worm, a prime place for salt-induced corrosion.

3) Take it for a test ride. Run it till its well and truly hot. Stop it. Leave it for a minute. Then start it again and leave it at idle. Some bikes are more prone to low oil pressure-induced cam chain rattle than others. Oil pressure light on mine will flicker at idle when the oil is hot and thin. That said, its done that for some 14k miles and no problems.

With the owners permission, I pull of a tank and have a look at whats underneath. You will notice if any fasteners are missing (owner hasnt paid attention) or if they have been mangled by a heavy-handed home-bodger.

In terms of history, salient questions to ask about the history of the bike are:
1) when was the fuel pump last replaced. Fuel pumps, unless they are replaced with a Facet, will last 10-15K miles typically, before becoming unreliable.
2) when was the clutch slave replaced (if it was replaced). These seem to be a russian roulette, no guessing how long they last.
3) when was the water pump seal last replaced. These seem to last 15k miles or so...

Thats all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was up at Avuss at the weekend and didnt see any 950 bu will go back up this weekend and have a proper look.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
Buy a raffle ticket for mine.

Its the fast black colour ;)

Within the last 1000 miles it has had a Facet fuel pump fitted, waterpump seal and shaft changed, rear master cylinder recall completed, full KTM dealer service including valve clearances, forks serviced, front brake calipers resealed........

or bid me on it cos the raffle is not going too well :(

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Buy a raffle ticket for mine.

Its the fast black colour ;)

Within the last 1000 miles it has had a Facet fuel pump fitted, waterpump seal and shaft changed, rear master cylinder recall completed, full KTM dealer service including valve clearances, forks serviced, front brake calipers resealed........

or bid me on it cos the raffle is not going too well :(
I know the bike before Kev got his hands on it and it will only be better as a result - cracking bike for the price Keith

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Good sound advice from all above apart from the orange ones are usually the fastest although some specials are even quicker ;)
By specials do you mean girly red bull schemes like you and Surms?? :D

Real men have black

Boys have orange

You and Surms ................. well what can I say ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Good sound advice from all above apart from the orange ones are usually the fastest although some people with special needs are even quicker ;)
:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
In addition to all the above, when you find a good 'un give the VIN to your local friendly KTM dealer who can check on Dealernet to see that all the workshop updates were done. The earlier the bike the more there were to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did about 43,000 miles on mine

never changed water pump or fuel pump. 2 or 3 slave cylinders. Leaky oil pressure switch changed. One electrical fault (starter solenoid). About 15k miles from front tyre commuting, 8 to 10 from rears, 15 k miles for chain and sprockets. It was still on original front discs, changed rear once. Front pads about 15k miles, rears 6k ish. Never needed a shim after about 20k miles. Did own oil changes and occasional full dealer service to check valves. Changed Y bit of exhaust once

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help.
Already told the gf that when i get the bike i have to go away for a week to get used to my new bike and try some off roading.To say she wasnt happy is an understatment.:D:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts