KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been looking at a Super Adventure 1290 and its about £2.5K cheaper buying from a German or French dealer than in the UK, not an insignificant saving.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this and what are the things to look out for, I presume the warranty is a pan european one and that language settings and kph/mph changes are just setup changes?

Any advice gladly received.

Justin

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
It won't be the distance that's the issue. It's got to be duty, taxes , warranty or the like, otherwise everyone would do it?
Try getting a warranty claim at a British KTM dealer with a German bought bike. Grey import.
If warranty doesn't worry you, it doesn't really worry me, but buying in my own country does. You didn't join the union. You can't have it all.;)
That's why Greece is fucked.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Well I would fly to Italy buy a bike and ride home then. Take advantage of your close proximity to Europe.
The best I can do is fly 2000km to Queensland and ride home for 3 days to save $1000 minus fuel, accommodation, beer and food.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm guessing you'd have to be a resident of the country to claim on warranty from where the bike was sold from.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The KTM warranty is honored throughout Europe, I have a German purchased machine, it now has a UK registration and has had warranty work carried out in both Italy and the UK without any questions. I had the same experience with servicing, my service book is stamped from UK, Germany and Italy.

To register the bike in the UK as a used bike it must only be more than 14 days after the date on the sales receipt. Mine was 3 months old. I sent the certificate of conformity which I got with the bike plus filled out a V55/5 form from the post office, paid £55 and paid for one years road tax. 10 days later a V5 and tax disk arrived. During the time I was waiting for the registration I drove it around on the German plates. The bike is now back in Germany at the moment but still on English plates.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
You didn't join the union.
Er, we did actually. In fact we paid more into than any other fooker for years!

I think you are getting confused with the EURO zone.

Never mind, go and have a lie down with a tinny of Fosters ;0)

Or put Barbie on your shrimp!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Don't France restrict power output to 100bhp or something?
Yes they do (until January 2016) - avoid a French spec bike

It's always worth looking at the EU pricing and working the 'true' cost in £'s by the time you get it back to the UK (travel costs, fuel/hotels/flights to ride it back, re-registration costs, an allowance for time/hassle etc) and going to have a serious chat with your local dealer to see how close they can get to the 'true' cost and whether they can make it worth your while buying from them. If they tell you to go away in short jerky movements, you can at least sleep easy knowing you gave them the chance to have the business and they turned you away !

·
Registered
84 Posts
I imported a car years ago when it was worth it from Spain (before Euros) and when imported you have to register and pay the VAT so make sure you account for an additional 20% !!!!

Was still worth it with the car as the difference was HUGE buying from the biggest dealer in Alicante and had it shipped back to the UK.
Be warned the VAT man will want their money and will come knocking anytime after import...."might" not apply if you register it and ride it to the UK as it will not be considered as a "NEW" vehicle.

Importing can also affect the resale value but I had no issues selling my car on as it was full UK spec ... just delivered to Spain and shipped back to the UK...

Might not still be true / valid but check it out....otherwise you will have all the hassle and no benefit

Rob

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
You didn't join the union.
Er, we did actually. In fact we paid more into than any other fooker for years!

I think you are getting confused with the EURO zone.

Never mind, go and have a lie down with a tinny of Fosters ;0)

Or put Barbie on your shrimp!

:rotflmao: ahhh yes thats the one, the euro. Nearly right.:rolleyes:
I was on my 10th Bourbon. ;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just a quick on on warranty claims. I have a 2003 950 adv S. The rear break failed about two months ago. This was a warranty claim issued for the adv models in 2004.
I rang ktm here in Dublin. They checked my bike on their system, comes up as a German bike. Now the previous owner bought it from the UK and it's now on an Irish plate. So has seen three different countries so far.
It came up that that warranty claim was never done on my bike so they did the paper work and covered the claim. Full parts and labour claim is complete.

Your warranty claims are with ktm themselves not any one dealer in any country.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had some warranty issues with the imported car - Peugeot UK wanted to walk away as they only get funded by the manufacturer for UK sold vehicles, so I threatened legal action and they promptly "sorted it out internally" - amazing what happens when you motivate them :)

Rob

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes that was my thoughts, have a bit of a road trip and run the bike in on the way home. I think the only thing against this is you may have to buy road fund licence in Italy and you would then have to buy Uk road fund licence over here.

I would probably leave it on Italian plates as long as possible so that I could park where I like, ignore speed limits and generally take the piss out of UK road laws like all the foreign registered vehicles do over here.

Only thing stopping me doing it is that I am probably buying a MT09 Tracer instead and that is half the money so likely only half the saving if bought from europe.
Last time I looked the Tracer was just under 10k euros. Time to buy with the pound being strong.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I didn't know it was a triple. I had a Benelli once, triples are ace, Benellis aren't. And if you are keeping the other two, well there you go. You'd be larfin' ya fancy coont. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts