KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a low milage RC8R from a dealer... and I'm a little worried that I'm wearing my rose tinted specs. Is there anything I need to be watching out for?

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Yeah watch out for ducati, yamaha, honda and suzuki owners. they'll all talk like they're not jealous. They're crying inside really.;):D

On a serious note. Make sure there's a wheel at the front and one at the back. there should also be a big metal lump inbetween the frame as well.

HTH

:D

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its definately got 2 wheels and a lump in the middle - I took it for a test ride last weekend but I rode it like a pussy as it was a tad damp out. I'm trying to put a pro's and con's list together and I'm struggling with the con's (apart from my wallet!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
The lump in the middle is due to bad fuelling. try doing the factory reset. lol lol lol

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Dont forget your going to have to pay for a few layers of top coat for it, KTM have adopted a sort of Model T ford approach, "you can have any colour you want, we'll just put some primer on it".

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the condition? Is it ex-demo? price?? Does it have any extras?
Slight scuff on tank cover, Ex Demo only a couple of hundred miles, no extras... haggling started at £11.5k

Dont forget your going to have to pay for a few layers of top coat for it, KTM have adopted a sort of Model T ford approach, "you can have any colour you want, we'll just put some primer on it".
Is this just a problem with the fairing? or the whole frame? I've always found that Hammerite works wonders... :smokin:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bear, in my opinion you could find a brand new one for not to far off that price so why go second hand. As for issues this site is full of them but as long as you have a dealer near by then its all covered under warrenty. Once the initial running in problems are ironed out the bike is amazing. No regrets what so ever, just take into consideration that this is not a mass produced bike and hence not as refined. Still abit raw round the edges.

·
Registered
885 Posts
P&H are listing brand new ones for £12k so I would definitely be pushing for a significant reduction on their starting price, especially at this time of year.

Premier bikes are listing one at £10495, Bournemouth Honda £10499.....

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I'm buying from a dealer and the bike has about 250 miles on the clock. Those prices you'ver posted mean I'm about in the right region if I look to spend £11k I think. I can't find the Premier Bikes one listed though and the Honda Bournemouth RC8R has 2K miles on the clock.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I saw the premier one on the biketrader website.. 1208 miles, 1 owner..

I still think you can push them down a fair bit further than they're asking.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Anyone who buys an ex-demo bike is a braver man than I, lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
TBH most people who road test bikes from a dealer are not capable of giving the bike a hard time especially on the road, the only bikes to look out for are the ones used on manufacturers track days for the journo`s, even they would not worry me personally if I got a good deal, you still have the full warranty.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Oh yeah, I know of lads who've saved packets buying ex-demo and never had any issues at all. I just like to be the only one dishing out the abuse on my bike :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mines an ex demo, funnily enough from Premier Bikes and 15,572 miles later its been as reliable as an ex demo bike. No problems at all really.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Mine was an ex KTM bike what ever that means with 600 miles on her, touch wood no problems, now got 5500 miles on her.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts