KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Thanks for taking a look at this.
I need a bit of help here
Whilst i consider myself to be an experianced rider of road bike I have had very little to do with the off road sciene.

I have fallen in love with the look of the EXC's 4 stroke 400 ,450, 525.
I realise these things are built for competition and not as a general ride.
I'm looking at having one as a road bike with some light green lane use now and again.
I have read various things with reguard to servicing every 2 hours new piston and barrel every 15 hours valves also at 15 hours and i was given a rough cost of £500 to do this!!
As i said i want the bike for the road and some light green lane use not for balls out thrashing off road.

My questions are does anyone else use one for a similar purpose?
Have you had to carry out major rebuilds to the engine?
What is the true cost of piston barrel gaskets and valves?
How long should an engine last if treated well?
would i be right in thinking a 525 will last longer than a 400 as a larger engine works less hard?
What range could i expect from a tank of fuel ?about 10ltrs?
Any recomendations on buying a bike of a certain year?
Buy new or used?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid but i am in the very early stages of choosing a bike again and really don't know

Maybe even orange is a bad idea should i go blue red or yellow
Even looked at gas gas 450 enduro
Please help

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I sold my last 450exc(2005 model) which had no problems at over 8,000(odo stopped working),i did oil changes every 25hrs with Putoline DX4 and changed the filters every second oil change. The valves were checked when i did the oil filters.These hardly moved...tell tale sign is harder starting from cold and usually it is only the inlets that move.
Never took the top end off but i know i hadn't lost power because i could still do stand up wheelies in 5th gear off the throttle which is plenty power seeing as i am 'only' 17.5st without the gear on.I dont think i gave my bike an hard life but it sure didn't have an easy life either. Ohh,i did have to replace 2 sets of wheels in that time due to the fact i ride the harder trails to be found.
The above bike would do approx 10miles per litre but i would ride using the gears rather than the revs except when i wanted a bit of fun now and again when we'd mess about.Some other guys were getting as low as 6miles to the litre on the same rides.
If i was buying again,go '05 onwards.

A lot of people i rode out with followed the same servicing schedules as myself and had no problems so the oil change after every ride brigade can suck my end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great cheers. there seems to be a lot of these4t EXC's about considering the things i have read. cant be that bad maybe manufacturer covering its butt ?
Its hard to get advice from the real world.
I guess my bike once bought will get an easy life apart from when i decide to play and act the fool once in a blue moon.

What sort of speed could i expect to get without thrashing its bits off based on standard gearing?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I sold my last 450exc(2005 model) which had no problems at over 8,000(odo stopped working),i did oil changes every 25hrs with Putoline DX4 and changed the filters every second oil change. The valves were checked when i did the oil filters.These hardly moved...tell tale sign is harder starting from cold and usually it is only the inlets that move.
Never took the top end off but i know i hadn't lost power because i could still do stand up wheelies in 5th gear off the throttle which is plenty power seeing as i am 'only' 17.5st without the gear on.I dont think i gave my bike an hard life but it sure didn't have an easy life either. Ohh,i did have to replace 2 sets of wheels in that time due to the fact i ride the harder trails to be found.
The above bike would do approx 10miles per litre but i would ride using the gears rather than the revs except when i wanted a bit of fun now and again when we'd mess about.Some other guys were getting as low as 6miles to the litre on the same rides.
If i was buying again,go '05 onwards.

A lot of people i rode out with followed the same servicing schedules as myself and had no problems so the oil change after every ride brigade can suck my end.
I have a 06 exc 400 and a 098 excr400 .. the older one has over 300 hours on it and apart from the servicing mentioned above is still ok. The valves are checked , but dont need altering much at all. as for the piston , I have never changed it, although some people have commented on it being on `borrowed` time, if it does go then it will be a big cost. Compression still ok and it always starts and runs fine.

The newer bike is simular and again I only change oil/filters etc check tappets . out of the two I would be changing the piston and check valves/guides etc on the newer bike (Excr) as they are not as reliable as the older RFS engines..

The servicing is easy to complete and once you have experienced it a few times its no big deal. I use to be very particular with the time and intervals, but now I complete the basic servicing between 15-20 runs hours on each bike, which to me is about once a month.
I hope that helps.

The 400`s are a little bit softer to ride, but the newer one has a bit more `snap` -- buy one of those if you want the snap, or buy a older RFS engined model for a bit more reliablity.. ( well thats my opinion anyway!)

oh as for petrol consumption my older RFS engined 400 uses a bit more fuel than the newer one. I usually go out off road most weekends for about 8-10 hours and fill up at least 2 times, as a general rule, also depends on the gearing , mine use 52 rear sprocket,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for that advise guys it has given me a bit of a heads up on things.
If anyone has any other help /advive on these things it would be much appreciated
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts