KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post on the forum, now the Xmas is out of the way I'm looking for a new bike, I currently have a '01 RSV 'R' and while it's been a great bike I've had a about 6 yrs and it's time for a change. So looking around at the options I keep coming back to the RC8 as my perspective next bike. I like twins, it's well specced and is certainly interesting to look at... and also it's not a computer fest like most modern bikes ( and when I say modern that's anything younger than about 10yrs) I like to 'tinker' with my bikes and the thought of doing more involved than basic maintenance on something like a S1000rr is a little daunting. So I'm looking for a RC8, obviously I want to buy the best bike I can and the first thing is research, so I've perused the forums and looked at all the used bike guides, reading up quite a bit on the various models/ model yrs, while also comparing various bikes for sale on ebay and gumtree etc. And to be honest it's a bit confusing, private early non 'r's can be as little as £3.5K going up to as much as double, prices in dealers are similarly all over the place. One of the problems I think is a amount of bikes that were registered several yrs after manufacture, dealers quite often advertising a '08 bike as a '12 because it's on a 62 plate, and asking a substantial premium despite the bike been a early model. So I think I've pretty much discounted getting a non R model, I think the R offers better value, a more stable future value and hopefully is a more sorted basic bike. Which brings me to which R, like the basic model the prices are all over the place £5K to over £7K, I've found an '09 R locally so I'm aiming to go have a look at it this weekend, looking at the specs the early Rs benefited from marchesini wheels but later ones did not, but the later bikes gained the twin spark heads and arguably nicer paint, so what else should I consider and which model on balance offers best value also is the Akra system worth looking out for?
Any input would be welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm no expert, I'm sure someone better versed in the whole Rc8 range will be along soon but I've just bought a 2010 RC8R. Why?

I prefer the black finish on the first iteration of the R. The suspension is awesome and small touches such as the billet yoke are a touch of class. I have hesrde that the later R is not as well finished as it effectively became the standard RC8 (as they discontinued the Rc8 base model)

That said, it is twitchy on the throttle to ride slowly but is hugely comfy.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, the first R had the premium marchesini wheels and other exotic bits like the carbon front mud guard etc the later ones had the brembo wheels and plastic mud guard. Maybe the '09/'10 model yr is the one to have?

·
Registered
30 Posts
09/10 RC8R is best specced, but don't discount non-r versions.

If you're on track a lot then R is the answer.

Otherwise the standard RC8 has plenty of poke, and a can with ecu tune can unleash a bit more. Brakes are the same and suspension very similar depending on what year.

On public roads you'll not be at full throttle for long, so having ~20bhp more isn't going to help much.

£2,000 price difference buys a lot of fuel and tyres.

09 onwards standard RC8s are as sorted as they get, with regards to gear change problems being rectified, a lot will already have had the progressive throttle cam done, but if not that's something to consider as sensitive throttle was the other thing people noted in early reviews.

Go and test one, I did that on an 09 RC8 (non R) and bought it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to look at a '09 R on Saturday, 17k one owner full akra hopefully it will be coming home with me ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slight cock up this weekend, had intended to go look at the bike Sunday but didn't realise the dealer was shut on Sundays ... Strange really you'd think Sunday would be great day for selling bikes. So going to ring them in the morning and hopefully shoot over tomorrow. If I'm a KTM owner tomorrow I'll post up the pics of the new steed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
shut on Sundays ... Strange really you'd think Sunday would be great day for selling bikes.
most dealerships are closed on sundays, the reason being is that the banks are closed. and being that most bikes are sold on finance/loans or leased, they cant process these as theyre shut.

hope you get to see it soon, im sure its worth the wait

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just setting off now, if it proves to be OK it will be in the garage tonight (y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well the deed is done I'm now the proud owner of a '09 KTM RC8R, 17K miles, one owner, full akra system, does anyone want to guess how much I paid for this ??

it's a trade sale from a reasonably large dealer in north yorks so no come back if it's a lemon, but on the face of it it seems fine so I think ( hope ) it may be a bit of a bargain any guesses??, yes there a few issues, firstly the mirrors don't seem to have much spring and fold back really easy not sure if there is a simple fix for that? it as a black screen which I'm not a fan of so that will need changing, tank is a little marked up I don't think the matt finish copes well with slight fuel spills, there's some discoloration on the belly pan near the exhaust, I need to look at this if it's a painted finish then it may be possible to cut this out. But ultimately I'll be replacing the plastics with GRP race fairings in the nr future so i'm not overly concerned , I've done on my last few bikes and find it works really well, it gives the opportunity to choose any colour scheme while retaining the OE plastics in the condition they arrived in. any way here's a couple of pics it was dark when I got home so I'll try and post some better ones shortly.
DSC_0368

DSC_0367

DSC_0366

happy man tonight :):):):)

sorry the garage is a bit of a mess!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
very nice, welcome aboard.

I looked at loads of R and non-R models early last year and ended up buying an 09R, same as yours, with full akrapovic and loads of other bits

did about a thousand miles last summer and it's now off the road while I try to tackle the valve clearances

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you find out what map is on it? with the full akra it should be running a modified map right? also mine still as the SAS fitted was wondering whether i should delete it while the bike is getting a bit of a refresh?

·
Registered
30 Posts
how do you find out what map is on it? with the full akra it should be running a modified map right? also mine still as the SAS fitted was wondering whether i should delete it while the bike is getting a bit of a refresh?
Download TuneEcu for free on windows, or pay for it on android.

You'll also need a cable, connect it all up and TuneEcu can tell you which map if it recognises it.

If not you'll download the map and save it just in case as it may be a custom map for that bike.

Probably you just have the "stock" Rc8r akra map which is supplied by ktm.

Have you ridden it yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont know, I can only tell you about my limited experience so far.

Mine has a full bazzaz system fitted as well (by previous owner) and the engine had been statically mapped using the bazzaz, ie on a paddock stand not a dyno. It was terrible, massively rich everywhere and the fuel light would come on at 75 miles road riding. Eeek.

Had the ECU flashed and now it's like a different bike, well it is, now getting around 95 miles to the light coming on and the throttle response is night and day better.

Mine already has the SAS deleted, but if it wasn't I'd be doing that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Download TuneEcu for free on windows, or pay for it on android.

You'll also need a cable, connect it all up and TuneEcu can tell you which map if it recognises it.

If not you'll download the map and save it just in case as it may be a custom map for that bike.

Probably you just have the "stock" Rc8r akra map which is supplied by ktm.

Have you ridden it yet?
No mate only got it yesterday so giving it a bit if a check over

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used tuneecu before on a Triumph, my mate as the adapter/link cable :)
anyway first issue ( and I'm hoping it's a minor one) got the EFI light flashing at me after a few minutes of running, it's showing fault code 72 which I believe is secondary throttle actuator motor, so need to investigate that. Oh well better getting it sorted when the weather is crap...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK this thread is now redundant, I don't need buying advice anymore I've already bought one!! But I'll still need some advice... So I'll be starting a new thread related to my new steed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts