KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew would ideally like a 400 or 450 EXC but on the ever popular limited budget.

Apart from the plastics, is there a significant difference between bikes up to 2003 and those after?
The 2003's come within his budget but there is something in the back of my mind about ideally getting a 2004 on bike.

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received, as would a good clean bike under £2k :D.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi David,

As far as I am aware the 04 onwards it is just the plastics & speedo/hour meter that differ, as the engine is the same. Would have said best to buy the one you can find out most about, with regard to it hours and how it has been maintained.
I bought my 02 400exc 3 years ago, it had unknown hours (no hour meter) but had been owned by a friend who had changed oil regularly. Its has been very reliable bike for me, and have kept up servicing and check valve clearances reg. Love it good luck with the search

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.
My ageing mind couldn't remember from previous posts if there were any important differences or not so that's really helpful.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this too manky to consider?
My nephew could cope ok with working on it but is it better to leave well alone?
Allegedly sub £2k would get it.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Doesn't look as bad as I was expecting! hot starting can always be a problem on any single, it maybe a lot better for checking the tappets, my best guess is that the gap has closed up a little. Could do with a real good clean, and once over (ie change fork seals) you can bet your arse the bottom suspension bush needs doing too (around £30). poss new C+S and tyres on top. What I do when buying is work out the max I would pay for the bike then add up all the other bits and bobs I would want to get it in a rideable state then have a quick 'sanity check' on the new budget ie what could you get for the same combined price...

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't look as bad as I was expecting! hot starting can always be a problem on any single, it maybe a lot better for checking the tappets, my best guess is that the gap has closed up a little. Could do with a real good clean, and once over (ie change fork seals) you can bet your arse the bottom suspension bush needs doing too (around £30). poss new C+S and tyres on top. What I do when buying is work out the max I would pay for the bike then add up all the other bits and bobs I would want to get it in a rideable state then have a quick 'sanity check' on the new budget ie what could you get for the same combined price...
Just talking to my newphew while you were replying.
Our second look brought us to the same conclusion about condition.
Not bothered about the seals (just had that done on the Yam)
It seems as though it's a cold start problem as it wont electric start until warm - that presumes from my limited knowledge that it's charging but not holding it.
Simon's calling his AA man mate later to ask.
We also went through the same costing process and have come up with a max figure as he needs to buy new helmet and boots etc as all his stuff is knackered now.
the only other one he's seen that he likes is ner enough £2400 but it looks excellent but that's a hell of a gap when he doesn't really wnat to spend that much.
But you do need to avoid the trap of dripfeeding a bike until it cost as much as the one that seemed out of budget.

Thanks for your reply, it's comforting to know were on pretty much the same wavelength.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
few days to go, but this is a much nicer prospect... but it looks a bit over budget...

nice though

Hate to steer away from the orange lust but Samslow has a really nice looking wr for sale at a snip under 2k...

·
Registered
330 Posts
all sound advise only thing i would say is that you can`t include helmet boots etc in your calculations as your going to be needing them whatever bike you get so thats on top of whatever you buy, do agree on spending as much as you can muster rather than buying a money pit, good luck

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
few days to go, but this is a much nicer prospect... but it looks a bit over budget...

nice though

Hate to steer away from the orange lust but Samslow has a really nice looking wr for sale at a snip under 2k...
Cheers Ben - yes, it's too pricey.
I've emailed him samslows WR but it's the travelling that's the problem - everyone's well north of here which makes it pain and an all day run in a van just to look at one bike.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all sound advise only thing i would say is that you can`t include helmet boots etc in your calculations as your going to be needing them whatever bike you get so thats on top of whatever you buy, do agree on spending as much as you can muster rather than buying a money pit, good luck
Agreed.

I've just rambled on on the TRF forum about how difficult it is buying your first off road bike as, until you ride some in anger, you can't really tell what suits you so it's all a bit of a punt.
He's a lot younger, stroger and braver than me so his choice is probably wider than wehn I was buying.

·
Registered
173 Posts
With regard to cold starting, I know from experience that if the right battery is not used or it is left to stand or just past its best then you need to kick it first go. In my view this is probably down to the battery rather than a charging issue. If I leave mine then I know it will go by the third kick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts