KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A select group of... what's the collective name for a group of KTM Forum members...? Anyway, Dave Jones, Sproot and I went to play on some byways in Western Cambridgeshire.

Unfortunately one of the byways, the most fun one, was closed, but there was enough on offer elsewhere to keep us amused.

The first lane was almost two miles long, but sadly a no through route. Having made it to the end, and most of the way back, something scared one of the 950s which decided to try hiding in the shrubbery... At least, I think that's what happened :rolleyes:

Having coaxed it out again, there was a small leak from near the bottom of one of the fuel tanks. Luckily it was the pipe not the tank that was leaking and it stopped when we turned the tank off, so Dave continued on one tank.

A quick grassy lane then on to something different. Mud.

Scorpion tyres aren't ideal for the slippery gloop we have around here, but we got through it. My Conti TKC80 tyres were a big help and made the going a lot easier.

The second half of that lane is the more interesting bit, and the one I beached my 990 on earlier in the year. Unfortunately it is closed until December for repairs, and there was no evidence of any work going on yet. :frown:

Still, gave us a chance for a quick group photo:

Another no through lane with some hidden ditches to catch the unwary, where I decided to try a more adventurous route through the ruts, and fell off. :redface:

Finally, a ride up what passes for a hill in these parts to the edge of the firing range with yet more deep ruts and thistles:

From there, back down the fast, smoothly graded gravel and back along the lanes to Gordo Towers with a detour through what should be multiple fords, but which were almost completely dry :confused:

With the help of a cuppa and a tool kit, Sproot fixed the hole in Dave's fuel line before heading for home.

All in all a good day out. Any more takers for a beginners guide to lanes on large Adventures?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Blimey Gordo, that was quick!

Good pics! - Just a quickie for now to say thanks for being guide today. Don't worry, your "ahem" mishap will be posted soon!

Sproot - Thanks for sorting out fuel line - had a look when I got in, all fine, but will still have a better look during the week.

To both of you thanks for the company today and bearing with my "novice" off road ability!

Look forward to the next one.

Piccies soon.

Dave J

(sore and a little bruised!)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blimey Gordo, that was quick!

Good pics! - Just a quickie for now to say thanks for being guide today. Don't worry, your "ahem" mishap will be posted soon!
Umm... thanks :p but you're welcome :)
To both of you thanks for the company today and bearing with my "novice" off road ability!
You did fine - especially having had quite a big 'off' on the first lane. That would dent anyone's confidence.
Hope you don't ache too much in the morning.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cambridge

Sproot - Thanks for sorting out fuel line - had a look when I got in, all fine, but will still have a better look during the week.

Look forward to the next one.

Piccies soon.

Dave J

You're welcome Dave, just remember to get it replaced: it's a bit tighter than it was :eek:
I wouldn't worry about your ability, it looked plenty good to me given your level of experience.
Practise will make perfect :smokin:

Thanks for the day Gordo, enjoyed it hugely :D. I'll try and organise a rematch in the not too distant future!

Cheers
S

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Top day out!

Met up with Sproot at Chelmsford - he came armed with an OS map to make the route to Cambs a bit more interesting (anythings better than the M11)

As per Gordo's post - rode a nice variety of lanes (Gravel / Mud / Grass etc.) as per 1st pic - got overconfident, back wheel went - hello hedge! (1st test for new jacket - shoulder armour works!)

Congrats to Sproot for remaining upright all day!

Kiss of death moment - splitting off on the way back, mentioning at least we missed the rain - Chelmsford to Leigh-on-Sea - Pissed down! (2nd test for new jacket - it IS waterproof) - However, rewarded with full-on half-circle technicolour rainbow.

All in all, top day - not too achy have a cracking bruise down one leg, but am even more impressed with the Adv. - Yes, she's big, but they are very capable, even with an off-road noob like me

·
Registered
120 Posts
adv love it off road and are more fun than people appreciate in my view . There is nothing better than riding across the fields and hills than on a adventure

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mind doing them pretty much on request. I'm showing someone around (on my 250) this weekend.

I dare say I might get bored of them at some point though :dozey:

Come October one of the lanes closes until April :frown:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm away until the 18th Sept.:frown:

How about the 27/28th , if it would'nt be too much trouble.

It would give some others a chance to sort out family/work stuff in advance :rolleyes::D:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts