KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Joined the forum as I've just bought a 990 Adventure, for a bit of an epic trip with my daughter riding from where we live (Devon) down through Spain, across to Ceuta, then on to Marrakech via Casablanca. I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could help.
Has anyone here done the Algeciras/Ceuta crossing? If so,
1) Can you just turn up and purchase tickets on the day?
2) What's the deal getting the bike from Ceuta into Morroco?
3) Most of the trip will be on main 'A' type roads - will the standard semi-offroad adventure tyres be ok?
Cheers,
K

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Hi all, Joined the forum as I've just bought a 990 Adventure, for a bit of an epic trip with my daughter riding from where we live (Devon) down through Spain, across to Ceuta, then on to Marrakech via Casablanca. I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could help.
Has anyone here done the Algeciras/Ceuta crossing? If so,
1) Can you just turn up and purchase tickets on the day?
2) What's the deal getting the bike from Ceuta into Morroco?
3) Most of the trip will be on main 'A' type roads - will the standard semi-offroad adventure tyres be ok?
Cheers,
K
I did the trip a few years back - yes you can just turn up, pay and go.

Paperwork going into Morocco can seem a bit daunting. We used a local 'fixer' to guide us as to where to go to get which bits of paper stamped etc. Cost about £5 but took away a lot of the stress!

You will need Moroccan insurance - can be purchased at the border or some insurance companies will give you green card cover for Morocco on your existing policy - give your insurer a call.

You can do the most of Morocco on good tarmac roads. The standard tyres will do just fine.

Make sure you allow time to stop and take in the sights, sounds and the local people. Stop regularly for cups of mint tea. Slow down and enjoy the trip !

I am sure oure other people will comment but we went through Casablanca and it did nothing for me. Just another city. Marrakech is worth a visit because it is Marrakech but traffic is a nightmare !

If you are simply heading around the north/west coast of Morocco the scenery is really not a lot different to southern europe.

The Atlas Mountains provide great scenery and roads and if you can get to Merzouga you are right on the edge of the sahara next to some fairly big dunes - impressive - we did a dawn camel ride out into the dunes to watch the sunrise - touristy but worth it.

I must get back down there soon !

:D

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I did the trip a few years back - yes you can just turn up, pay and go. Use the proper office at the ferry port and ignore the clowns in reflective jackets who will try and rip you off(yes in Spain).

Paperwork going into Morocco can seem a bit daunting. We used a local 'fixer' to guide us as to where to go to get which bits of paper stamped etc. Cost about £5 but took away a lot of the stress!

You will need Moroccan insurance - can be purchased at the border or some insurance companies will give you green card cover for Morocco on your existing policy - give your insurer a call. Easiest is to go fully comp with Carole Nash who will cover you in Morocco but as said,give them a call.I dont know any others who do cover.Not all borders have 'assurances' offices to buy from so do try and get the cover with your existing insurance.

You can do the most of Morocco on good tarmac roads. The standard tyres will do just fine.

Make sure you allow time to stop and take in the sights, sounds and the local people. Stop regularly for cups of mint tea. Slow down and enjoy the trip !

I am sure oure other people will comment but we went through Casablanca and it did nothing for me. Just another city. Marrakech is worth a visit because it is Marrakech but traffic is a nightmare ! Really??!! Just drive 'aware' and it aint that bad. Remember to give way to people pulling out from side roads or something like that(i forget now but it is odd at first.

If you are simply heading around the north/west coast of Morocco the scenery is really not a lot different to southern europe.

The Atlas Mountains provide great scenery and roads and if you can get to Merzouga you are right on the edge of the sahara next to some fairly big dunes - impressive - we did a dawn camel ride out into the dunes to watch the sunrise - touristy but worth it.

I must get back down there soon ! Me too!!

:D
Hope that helps a bit further.
*edit* it didn't quite work out as i wanted to but read what i have added to the post above.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Paperwork Required for Morocco

Passport. Must be valid for atleast 6 months after entry into Morocco. **Check NOW**
Visa. Non required for British nationals
Driving Licence. UK Driving licence-check address matches your Passport. (Suggest you keep copies on the trip and also at home-just incase it gets lost/stolen) **Check NOW**
V5 Logbook. Check address matches your Passport. (Suggest you keep copies on the trip and also at home-just incase it gets lost/stolen) **Check NOW**
Insurance. Take Green Card if your UK insurance covers Morocco (apparently customs like to see a card that is actually Green in colour). Otherwise purchase at Border. Approx £60 Euros for our trip.
Police Form. Often Police are on the Ferry with a Laptop to complete this for you or Forms are available from the Ferry ticket Office. This will give you a CIN, number which goes into your Passport for entry.
Customs/Temporary Importation of Vehicle (Douane). Best completed online and printed out before departure from the UK.
Go to Douanes marocaines and take the third option (D16TER), then the second option (Saisie and Edition). Now complete as follows:

Prénom and Nom: Your given name and family name

If you have been to Morocco before you will have a police number in your passport in the format 999999AA, in which case click on Étrangers non résident (non-resident foreigners) and stick the number in the box.

If you haven't been to Morocco before, click on 'autres'.

Immatriculation: your registration number (no spaces)
Marque: BMW (or whatever)
Type: 1200GSA (or whatever) followed by 'MOTO' (if it's a m'bike)
Genre: Tourisme
Pays: Grande Bretagne
Date de 1ere mise: enter the date of first registration in the format dd/mm/yyyy
Chassis no: your VIN (vehicle identity number).

Press 'Imprimer' to display the data in a formatted manner and print the page that appears.

That's it!

PS: Firefox and some other web browsers may not work correctly, so use Internet Explorer 7.

It's in triplicate- White (you keep, permanently) Green (They keep on the way out of the country ) and Yellow (they keep on the way into the country)

it's as important as your passport to them, so DO NOT LOSE IT!!!!!

Hotel Check In. If we stop at an Hotel then we will need to complete a checkin form. According to regular travelers this is easier done with a Standardised form before departure and just take copies with us. Download and complete with your own details http://www.zroadster.net/tim/gs/fiche.xls

****Each rider is responsible for sorting their own Paperwork and Documentation before departure****

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
^
On top of that, its well worth scanning all of your docs and emailling them to yourself, you can get them wherever you are if you lose everything. If you don't have a second passport it is also worth having a certified true copy made of your original. basically it's just enough to get you out of the shit abroad and it's only a single peice of paper stamped and signed (obviously, don't keep it folded up inside your passport!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts