KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am new in the UK and I am getting my new motorbike tomorrow!. I need to lock it on a stationary object but unfortenetly there is nothing that I could use in my home. My question is can I lock my motorbike chain on a street light or on a street sign or a tree? or I may get a fine? I live in north London , Harringey.
thanks!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hello all!
I am new in the UK and I am getting my new motorbike tomorrow!. I need to lock it on a stationary object but unfortenetly there is nothing that I could use in my home. My question is can I lock my motorbike chain on a street light or on a street sign or a tree? or I may get a fine? I live in north London , Harringey.
thanks!!
Faaarkinell! They fine you for being alive and having the bare face cheek to breath oxygen in London!!! Anyway, anything worth
scrap metal will be stolen if chained to a lamp post. I think the theft will come way befoe a fine.....

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Tetley is correct. It won't be around for long if you chain it up to a lamp post. You need to get a ground anchor concreted in your garden at the very least, with a massive lock (Almax) and an alarm. It really will not last otherwise!

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Bah....

Karxarini

I've parked all my bikes on the street in fulham for 17 years. Not had one stolen yet, knock wood...

1. Use a cover - the shitty covers are best. If they cannot see it, they don't nick it.
2. Don't chain to a street sign - they use high-lifts and just lift the bike up and over and gone.
3. Only use street lights
4. Obviously the Almax Immobiliser IV for around the rear wheel and the street light.
5. Even better is an "anti pinch pin" that means the chain is secured to the bike, not just a very secure rear wheel...
6. The more chains the better. Even a lock on the bike cover works - think of them as layers, and thieves are lazy bastards, so each layer they get turned off
7. Disc lock on the front wheel, see point number 6
8. Don't wash or work on your bike directly outside your house - get home = cover. Don't advertise it.

The rest is stuff I don't have direct experience with. Trackers and the like; I'm not willing to say as coz I work in that industry so have a healthy trust in a really large fuck-off chain like the Almax....

Cover cover cover cover..... 80% of London security is a shitty cover...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot for your replies. since i don't own a garden (i rent a room) i don't see any better option that the street lights. I have an abus disc lock with alarm on it . i was about to return it a take an almax 4, but now i think i will keep both! is there any chance to pay the council for an anchor in a road?

·
Registered
759 Posts
A mate of mine decided to use his 525EXC to commute to the job in a posh area of West London, as the car parking charges were getting silly. So Monday he used the car to get his tools on site, Tuesday he used the bike and chained it to a lamp post outside the house he was working in. 2 hours later he heard a bike start up, so popped his head out of the window to see his 525 hooning off down the road with 2 thieves on it. 3 bikes were stolen in that postcode area that morning. They were obviously an organised gang that probably had a van parked round the corner.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
thanks a lot for your replies. since i don't own a garden (i rent a room) i don't see any better option that the street lights. I have an abus disc lock with alarm on it . i was about to return it a take an almax 4, but now i think i will keep both! is there any chance to pay the council for an anchor in a road?
No chance at all.

BigK's advice is the best answer for your circumstances... Get a thick cover & make it look as dirty, scruffy and undesirable as possible. And DO NOT draw attention to yourself.

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
No one will mess with a street light. The police don't give a stuff if your bike is nicked, but by christ if someone fucks with a council street light there will be coppers and forensics before you can blink....

Yep - keep both. You need 2x Almax for most streetlights, and 1x padlock - a loop around the street light, and a loop on the bike. The one padlock joins up both chains - get it all from Almax (and if you call them they usually will give 10% off).

Get that cover first thing.

·
Registered
15,294 Posts
Hello all!
thanks!!
You can leave it locked against a lamp post in London no problem, you'll only have to do it once though, as it won't be there long !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a detail that I forgot to mention: I'm not getting a supremoto. It will be a pcx 125. It's nothing special compared to your bikes but still I don't want to see it gone :/

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hello all!
thanks!!
Harringey eh? Ask your local MP to have a word with that lunatic Corbyn. He was once on the local council there, maybe still is.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bah....

Karxarini

I've parked all my bikes on the street in fulham for 17 years. Not had one stolen yet, knock wood...

1. Use a cover - the shitty covers are best. If they cannot see it, they don't nick it.
2. Don't chain to a street sign - they use high-lifts and just lift the bike up and over and gone.
3. Only use street lights
4. Obviously the Almax Immobiliser IV for around the rear wheel and the street light.
5. Even better is an "anti pinch pin" that means the chain is secured to the bike, not just a very secure rear wheel...
6. The more chains the better. Even a lock on the bike cover works - think of them as layers, and thieves are lazy bastards, so each layer they get turned off
7. Disc lock on the front wheel, see point number 6
8. Don't wash or work on your bike directly outside your house - get home = cover. Don't advertise it.

The rest is stuff I don't have direct experience with. Trackers and the like; I'm not willing to say as coz I work in that industry so have a healthy trust in a really large fuck-off chain like the Almax....

Cover cover cover cover..... 80% of London security is a shitty cover...
And add a couple of hungry dogs.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Contact your local council/police. In Southwark they have got funding to install ground anchors where possible on the street or people's front gardens.
They worked out it'll save money if they can stop getting them stolen than the police resources to follow up on the crime.
Your local council might be willing to do the same.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
use a drain grille in the gutter, you know the ones with 8 or 9 slots in
they are thick cast iron and you can loop a chain though
some hinge up, but can't usually be removed as they are set into the road
make sure the chain goes through the bike frame and the lock is in the air, so they can't sledgehammer it against the road

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
use a drain grille in the gutter, you know the ones with 8 or 9 slots in
they are thick cast iron and you can loop a chain though
some hinge up, but can't usually be removed as they are set into the road
make sure the chain goes through the bike frame and the lock is in the air, so they can't sledgehammer it against the road
I used to do this living in Chichester with a cover over the bike.

PCX125 :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts