KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the centrifuge cone should be seated ? When I took the rear cylinder cover off I noticed the centrifuge cone was loose and slightly damaged. I can’t find anything to show how it should be seated correctly. There is only one and it is supposed to be in the end of the rear cylinder intake cam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You sorted this? At first it looked like the water pump. You got the Service Manual disk? What year is your bike?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not sure how helpful this is.....but.....you can actually see that part on the KTM Parts Fiche:

KTM Parts Fiche - Timing Drive

Looks like it isn’t actually held in place as such.

Is it small enough to pass through the cam drive sprocket without removing it (cam shift wheel in that same diagram)?

I’ve done the valve clearances on a couple of RC8’s and didn’t even know that part was in there! I can only imagine that it has never fallen out / been dislodged when I’ve done the work.

Just spotted this:

There might be an o-ring involved! It’s not on the parts fiche for my 2010 R but perhaps it was added later? It’s definitely used on the 1290 by the looks of it and is listed against the RC8.

Weird one really :z

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply’s. I’ve ordered a new one along with the o ring. On the parts finder you can see it just seats in the end of the rear intake cam. But that doesn’t look very stable to me.
When I took off the cover, the one that was already there was loose and slightly damaged.
I’m hoping a new one will fit tightly with a new o ring. I’ll update once it’s done.
I’m still waiting for parts so I’ve no doubt it’ll be a little while with how things are at the moment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure how helpful this is.....but.....you can actually see that part on the KTM Parts Fiche:

KTM Parts Fiche - Timing Drive

Looks like it isn’t actually held in place as such.

Is it small enough to pass through the cam drive sprocket without removing it (cam shift wheel in that same diagram)?

I’ve done the valve clearances on a couple of RC8’s and didn’t even know that part was in there! I can only imagine that it has never fallen out / been dislodged when I’ve done the work.

Just spotted this:

There might be an o-ring involved! It’s not on the parts fiche for my 2010 R but perhaps it was added later? It’s definitely used on the 1290 by the looks of it and is listed against the RC8.

Weird one really :z
Hi, the link you gave is to an R model, which has adjustable cams and this 'cone' is shown located between the end of the camshaft and the adjustable sprocket.

Have to admit, I've just had all four cams out of my 2009R and never noticed it!

the OP's bike is a non R version I think, and on his where the cams are solid / non adjustable the cone and O-ring he refers to are outside the camshaft - see here, parts #20 & #21

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the link you gave is to an R model, which has adjustable cams and this 'cone' is shown located between the end of the camshaft and the adjustable sprocket.

Have to admit, I've just had all four cams out of my 2009R and never noticed it!

the OP's bike is a non R version I think, and on his where the cams are solid / non adjustable the cone and O-ring he refers to are outside the camshaft - see here, parts #20 & #21

Yeah that’s the one. I think it just pushes in. The parts still haven’t arrived yet but I’ll updated once I’ve got it installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.
I’ve now installed the new o ring and centrifuge cone and I didn’t need to remove the cam to do it.
The cone has straight edges on the outer diameter which hold it in place when you push it in. There is a cut out in the end of the cam shaft where the cone marrys up with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts