KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Yes. But not an SM. Only a short run so far, but early indications - doesnt seem to have made much of a difference in terms of radiated heat.... ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is it worth it? What are the benefits and cost..... i dont want it by the way just wondering why it would be done in the first place.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Or exhaust wrap for that steam punk/80's rally car look, i think its pointless tho' meself!!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
My dads XT500 front pipe is ceramic coated, cost £70 to have done. looks good and does not make any difference to the performance good or bad.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Bit of info for those who may be interested. For starters its an extremely durable coating that comes in a range of colours and looks quite good. But beyond that its resistant to corrosion, and if used inside and out can darn near corrosion proof pipes completely. Its weakness looks wise is that certain liquids will stain it. (harsh solvents etc)

Performance wise it provides a level of thermal insulation. The idea being that heat loss is energy loss, and you want to keep energy in your system longer to maintain a smoother exhaust pulse, and by having the hot gasses stay hot until further down the pipe, you create better gas extraction, as the charge air cools near the end of the system and contracts creating a vacuum that helps pull the next pulse through.

These performance gains are most noticeable on turbo systems or very highly tuned motors where every last skerrick of power is required. It won't really make a noticeable difference to radiated heat.. Unless your taking pyrometer readings.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Or exhaust wrap for that steam punk/80's rally car look, i think its pointless tho' meself!!
Exhaust wrap/tape will corrode your headers away in no time at all. I wouldnt advice doing that.

The ceramic coating, as supertard expalains, is to reduce radiant heat. I still havent ridden mine enough yet to judge - but so far, from my one short ride to the MOT centre and back, Im a bit disappointed....

(If you get it done, make sure you specify whether you want it done inside and out. Some do both as a matter of course, with others you need to check.)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wasnt suggesting using exhaust wrap, what were you expecting to be different about the bike once it had ceramic coated header pipe? Maybe it makes a tiny difference in motorsport where every degree and every hundreth of a second counts but what else can it do?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I wasnt suggesting using exhaust wrap, what were you expecting to be different about the bike once it had ceramic coated header pipe? Maybe it makes a tiny difference in motorsport where every degree and every hundreth of a second counts but what else can it do?
Jesus, what language do I have to type it in? :D

The ceramic coating, as supertard expalains, is to reduce radiant heat.
ie to stop it bbq-ing your fooking leg! :D

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
It is going to cost over £150 to have it done. I am not paying that. Any other ideas?
Mine's grubby too, I've got a place in St Helens coming back to me tomorrow with a price for chrome plating the downpipe, I'll let you know.

I am NOT paying between £600 - £1000 for an Akra downpipe . . .

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
VHT paint from any motor factors, done a few pipes with it, decent finish and reasonably hard wearing, I do tend to go a bit over the top though 5-6 coats....... otherwise get a tube of autosol!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had my SD headers done inside and out by these guys for £100. Still look good 15 months later.
CAMCOAT Thermal Barriers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts