KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and to my KTM SXF250 06 grateful on any guidance!

So my rear sprocket is looking very worn (supersprox) and thought i'd put a chain and front sprocket on while I'm at it, But i have no idea on what kit to buy! seems to be so many variations and brands.. Im no professional and only use the bike for practising over a weekend so looking for a balance between price and quality?
seen some cheap kits on eBay around £50 are these to be trusted or to stay away from..

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Buy cheap buy twice!

Quality o ring chain such as DID is is a minimum. These can be joined with a split/spring link but the plate on these wear and need checking and replacing accordingly as they wear. They are easy to do, it's worth buying a spare when you buy a chain so you have it ready and know it's right. If you can afford it x ring even better but you can only rivet link them so you need a tool. The tool is worth getting though long term.

Go for named steel sprockets. I just use ktm fronts and standard steel rears. I was using the stealth rears but other than looking nice they don't seem to be that different, maybe a bit lighter.

It's likely that you'd need to shorten the chain to fit so will need a chain tool to do that, seems to make sense to get the splitting and riveting tool and use an x ring. It'll last longer and is less to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I use the pro action steel sprockets they are great value and last well
I think the did vt2 chain is the daddy I usually get 100 hours out of one

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you can afford it x ring even better but you can only rivet link them so you need a tool.
You may want to check your statement.

I have been and are, using x ring chains with spring clips (without problems). I specify the spring clip link when I order the chain. (the unwanted rivet link comes too).

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Fair point. My local shop only ever says "we don't stock split links for x rings". On that basis I would need a riveting tool or two hammers to install one. I'm a tight arse so have a splitter but no joiner tool. I was referring to a vt2 xring chain which I thought DID don't actually make a split link for them? I know other links fit as a bodge but that'd freak me out too much.

You may want to check your statement.

I have been and are, using x ring chains with spring clips (without problems). I specify the spring clip link when I order the chain. (the unwanted rivet link comes too).

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
vt2 chains come with both links......

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Nor in the boxes I have opened to check/see. I think I will get a riveting tool though and go for endless VT2 next if they are lasting 100 hours. I'm lucky to get 30-40 hours out of a chain and sprocket set using standard DID O ring.

not in the box that i have just opened they dont !!!!! shame as im a fan of rivet links.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Did x ring from 24MX not had to adjust for chain stretch yet for over 6 months. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the DID from 24mx , right bargain. Fitted split linkcirclip on inside and not much wear.
Did get two rivett links for a £10 from Dennis Trollopes but haven't fitted yet as fitting circlip on inside seems to have sorted my usual wear issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the replies everyone, found a renthal O ring chain and sprocket setup for a round £100.

I ran 13 tooth front and 50 tooth rear sprockets, am i better getting a 14 tooth front sprocket for longer chain life?
also will i need to buy separate chain links? handnt thought about that!

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
If you add a tooth to the front you'll also need to add some to the rear if you want the gearing to stay roughly the same. One front tooth is worth 2-3 at the back so you'd need to go to something like 14 front 52 rear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts