KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
I do the GT85 thing, then use an old school oil can and lube the chain after every ride if possible. The oil comes from a magic 5 litre tub with "chain oil" written on it (said tub contains scragg ends of every oil l use - 10w 50, 10w 40 4 wheeler oil, 2t, ATF, gear oil, LHM, chainsaw chain oil, and anything else)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I do the GT85 thing, then use an old school oil can and lube the chain after every ride if possible. The oil comes from a magic 5 litre tub with "chain oil" written on it (said tub contains scragg ends of every oil l use - 10w 50, 10w 40 4 wheeler oil, 2t, ATF, gear oil, LHM, chainsaw chain oil, and anything else)
Chain saw oil on its own is excellent, for obvious reasons it has strong anti fling properties. Not too keen on the Gt85 application first on the chain, it will limit the chain saw oils adhesion to the chain.

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
The Gt85 is the cleaner as opposed to a 'first coat' ...... its good as a degunger that doesnt mess with rubbers or plastics in the way that other products can. The Wurth offering is similarly good in this respect 👍

·
Registered
722 Posts
The Gt85 is the cleaner as opposed to a 'first coat' ...... its good as a degunger that doesnt mess with rubbers or plastics in the way that other products can. The Wurth offering is similarly good in this respect 👍
Ahh, I see you wipe it all off prior to lube. I use diesel for the cleaning precess.100% safe with the o/x ring seals, also cheap to use.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
1,040 Posts
Does that dry like white wax?
No, just like regular lube but it's white when it goes on. It's not as thick as wax. You'd think it would fly off but somehow it doesn't.
If I remember to lube the chain the day before a ride (rather than five minutes before...) I'll run a rag around the chain and take the excess off after it's had overnight to soak in.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Right, 40+ years experience. £ / per effectiveness.

The best loob for chains is EP90, that's it end of. If you're riding miles, using the same riding gear every day, want the chain to stay cleanish. Longevity of chain and sprockets, EP90. Failing that, engine oil etc.

Do I use EP90, no. Ive not done any mammoth bike trip in years, EP90 flings like shit, its messy to put on, its a daily road side job I found best done with a pot and old tooth brush.

Ive tried every fucking formulation over the years, some £20 quid a can, Teflon, wax, pink, white, blue. Its all been crap because it gunks up, attracts dirt and the chain (x-o ring) get hot.

Best time to lube a chain is after a ride and not before, why cos its hot and what ever you put on soaks in better. Clean it first if you wish, quick ride then loob.

Cleaning chain, (x-o ring), paraffin on a rag and soft brush, aviation fuel, home heating oil, WD, GT85, diesel oil. None x-o ring, the best solvent you can find, petrol, butane, etc to clean every grain of shit out between the links and rollers.

What do I use? Well before it became stupid expensive, chain saw loob. Used it for years then that got all tec with fucking wax and Teflon marketing shit.

Now I use spray grease, white lithium for the last 10 years or so. Soaks in well, doesn't attacked that much shit and but doesn't gunk up.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Edited for you Charlie, your sperring was atrocious.

Right, 40+ years experience. £ / per effectiveness.

The best loob for bums is EP90, that's it end of. If your riding miles, use same riding gear, want the hoop to stay cleanish. Longevity of ring and perineum, EP90. Failing that, engine oil etc.

Do I use EP90, no. Ive not done a mammoth bike trip in years, EP90 flings like shit, its messy to put on, its a daily road side job I found best done with a pot and old tooth brush.

Ive tried every fucking formulation over the years, some £20 quid a can, Teflon, wax, pink, white, blue. Its all been crap because it gunks up, attracts dirt and the starfish (ring) get hot.

Best time to loob a jacksy is after a ride and not before, why cos its hot and what ever you put on soaks in better. Clean it first if you wish, quick ride then loob.

Cleaning, (o-ring), paraffin on a rag and soft brush, aviation fuel, home heating oil, WD, GT85, diesel oil. None o ring, the best solvent you can find, petrol, butane, etc to clean every grain of shit out between the cheeks and rollers.

What do I use? Well before it became stupid expensive, chain saw loob. Used it for years then that got all tec with fucking wax and Teflon marketing shit.

Now I use spray grease, white lithium for the last 10 years or so. Soaks in well, doesn't attacked that much shit and doesn't gunk up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts