KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a chain tool as I have been advised to put a rivet link in my chain for a trip. I’ve only ever used DID chains and split links. It has been suggested I am better off buying a DID specific tool?. I have seen some Motion Pro ones that look suitable but are not DID specific. What say the experts please……………

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Where you going that carrying a spare split link won’t do?

The Motion Pro jumbo tool is ok for doing the DiD chains, it comes with the pin for doing the hollow pins. The quad stake pin is an option but it’s for solid pins, the DiD chains I’ve got on the bikes are hollow (please check though ) so I was ok with the pin it came with.

Flared perfectly to the spec, I would advise that flaring it is the same as cutting a bit of metal… you can cut a bit off but can’t cut a bit back on. Take it gently until you get a feel for it, can always give it another nip… but if you over flare it it’ll be too tight and you can crack the end of the pin if you make a cnut of it.

As me how I know…

Botched the rivet link on mine so I’ve got a 520VX3 with a VT2 split link and a perfectly riveted 520MX on the mrs bike.

Buy spare pins too, they’re not readily available in you damage one.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The Motion Pro jumbo tool is ok for doing the DiD chains, it comes with the pin for doing the hollow pins. The quad stake pin is an option but it’s for solid pins, the DiD chains I’ve got on the bikes are hollow (please check though ) so I was ok with the pin it came with.

Flared perfectly to the spec, I would advise that flaring it is the same as cutting a bit of metal… you can cut a bit off but can’t cut a bit back on. Take it gently until you get a feel for it, can always give it another nip… but if you over flare it it’ll be too tight and you can crack the end of the pin if you make a cnut of it.

As me how I know…

Botched the rivet link on mine so I’ve got a 520VX3 with a VT2 split link and a perfectly riveted 520MX on the mrs bike.

As me how I know…

I’m riding from Southern Portugal to Northern Spain all but 30 miles off road. I’ve always used split links but the tour operator ‘highly recommend’ rivet links. I‘d probably sooner stick with split links and keep an eye on them, as they are simple to replace. Thank you for the tips, I’ll mull it over👍.

Reactions: Miner

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Rivet links every time. There is enough to be doing without checking on a split link. Had the same link tool for years (forget the make now) but l dont give it agg splitting old chains - angle grinder for that.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I use two clip links per chain slider block, normally about 40 hours per link. Worn/grooved sliders kill clip links. Always clip on the inside. Never had a failure. If a clip wears prematurely due to riding in a savage place with a worn block then you can just replace a clip also. The clip will not wear if your slider block is not knackered as it won’t run in a groove.

I have used rivet links, they are good if you are a tight ass and like to wait long after the sliders are knackered or wait till the chain saws through it. I’ve pressed them together using a spacer and then two hammers to round over the pins. Big hammer held against the back and a small hammer to peen over the pins (Fred Dibnah style) - DID chain.

My chain tool is really old. An early 1990s one. I should get a new one as the pushing pin is worn but it still does it’s job. Just!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
we got this one , as cheaper ones the pins would just snap...didnt realize they were so expensive now mind!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts