KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my rear tyre today which has a mousse fitted and I thought I'd take a few photos as I went along and show how I do it.
The method I use might be different to what others do but I find this way easy and it usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to change a tyre over.

I don't have a bead breaker or mousse board, I use an old car wheel with the tyre still fitted to sit the wheel on

Also I use a wee selection of large and small levers, a bead buddy and a couple of blunt chisels

First off I sit the bike wheel on top of the car wheel, sprocket side down (this stops you losing your knuckles) and loosen the rim lock to the last thread and sit the rimlock at about the 3 o'clock position

I then use a small lever to prise the tyre out so I can fit the chisels into the tyre at the 6 o'clock position, the chisels force the tyre's bead into the well of the rim making it easier to remove the tyre

At the 12 o'clock postion I then fit 4 larger levers

Then I put my foot on the brake disc to steady the wheel and pull on the large levers one at a time, levering the tyre off

Next I use a small lever and work my way around the rim removing the tyre

First side of the tyre off the rim

Then I stand on the wheel and pull the tyre upwards, this pulls the mousse out of the wheel rim

Mousse still in tyre and ready to be removed

I then use a lever to prise the mousse out of the tyre

Next I flip the wheel over and remove the tyre from the sprocket side of the rim and then remove the tyre from the wheel

Now I pull off the old gaffer tape that I use instead of rimtape

And fit new gaffer tape, I wrap it around the rim twice

Next I lube up the tyre I'm fitting, recently I've been using ProClean Mousse Lube and apply it using a paint brush

I then fit the first side of the tyre to be fitted, again sprocket side down

I then refit the mousse into the tyre

Mousse fitted in tyre

Now using my knee I press down on the tyre going around it forcing the mousse into the well of the rim

For lubing up the bead of the tyre I use WD-40

For refitting the brake disc side of the tyre I have the rimlock at the 6 o'clock position and start the tyre off and fit my bead buddy just to the left of the rimlock

I then keep fitting the tyre until it starts to get too tight to fit any more, then I fit the 2 chisels again to push the bead into the well of the rim, this time I fit them opposite the rimlock

This then creates enough slack on the bead of the tyre to fit the tyre the rest of the way around

Now I remove the bead buddy and whilst pressing the rimlock in with a lever I pop the final part of the tyre in (didn't have enough hands to take a picture whilst doing this)

Tighten the rimlock, refit the wheel and go ride, simples :burnout:

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Good info there. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice one donny, have you nipped the mousse in pic 12, bottom left?
Got tubliss's in now so tyre changin's easy these days. Never used a bead buddy or chisels though when i had mousses, good walk thru though.

fm

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice one donny, have you nipped the mousse in pic 12, bottom left?
Got tubliss's in now so tyre changin's easy these days. Never used a bead buddy or chisels though when i had mousses, good walk thru though.

fm
Hi Brian, good spot, yeah got it caught in the rimlock a few changes ago :redface:

Tubliss looks a good idea, how are you getting on with them?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not had any probs yet, i don't run slime in them either, but youve seen the ground up here , we don't get many punctures at all, you just have to check the pressure in the small tube (110psi) before you head out, mine seem to hold pressure ok tho. Good kit as far as i'm concerned. Mods, can this be saved in the How to's.
When you comin back up to see us donny? rob was up for coming back, mentioned it on here a couple of weeks back.

fm

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not had any probs yet, i don't run slime in them either, but youve seen the ground up here , we don't get many punctures at all, you just have to check the pressure in the small tube (110psi) before you head out, mine seem to hold pressure ok tho. Good kit as far as i'm concerned. Mods, can this be saved in the How to's.
When you comin back up to see us donny? rob was up for coming back, mentioned it on here a couple of weeks back.

fm
Sounds all good, maybe I'll give them a wee try in the future.

I'll try and come through and get out with you guys in the not too distant future, it's a fantastic riding area you've got through there, would be good to go back through AND even better to come back in one piece next time :D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good work - but why are you taking that tyre off? looks like a minter to me!
It was a new tyre I had fitted last Wednesday for racing with this weekend at Aberfeldy Enduro but the event was called off on Thursday :frown:

Rather than waste a new tyre (recession on you see :D) I've put back on a good part worn one for playing around on the bike with for the next few weeks, next event is Selkirk Enduro in few weeks time so I'll save it for that :)

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
It was a new tyre I had fitted last Wednesday for racing with this weekend at Aberfeldy Enduro but the event was called off on Thursday :frown:

Rather than waste a new tyre (recession on you see :D) I've put back on a good part worn one for playing around on the bike with for the next few weeks, next event is Selkirk Enduro in few weeks time so I'll save it for that :)
ah I see; makes perfect sense now!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice pictures, I use a metzler mousse board myself. You could proably shave some time and effort from your changing by leaving the mousse in the tyre until it's completely off the rim. Saves nipping it with levers.

With the tyre off one side, stand the wheel up and lean it against your knees, that side. Then you place a lever under the edge of the tyre that is in the recess where the spokes are and then push it over the rim closest to you legs. Pull the lever upwards towards you and the whole tyre and mousse come over the rim. Kneel on the tyre and off it pops. If you don't want to use your knee a few taps with a rubber mallet and its off.

I will try and take some pictures.

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice pictures, I use a metzler mousse board myself. You could proably shave some time and effort from your changing by leaving the mousse in the tyre until it's completely off the rim. Saves nipping it with levers.

With the tyre off one side, stand the wheel up and lean it against your knees, that side. Then you place a lever under the edge of the tyre that is in the recess where the spokes are and then push it over the rim closest to you legs. Pull the lever upwards towards you and the whole tyre and mousse come over the rim. Kneel on the tyre and off it pops. If you don't want to use your knee a few taps with a rubber mallet and its off.

I will try and take some pictures.

Cheers Nick
I know what method you mean Nick, I used to do it that way too, started doing it the way I do now as I find it a wee bit easier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quality. This helped big time. i feel a bit silly now having blew 60 quid on a crap tyre removal machine that dont even work and you just used a wheel!!
I will now go try some more having given up earlier
Cheers

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Good information matey as im going to fit em soon. Quick question though; do you have to push the rim lock in before fitting a tyre with a tube in? I have done this and the tyre hasn't "popped" on the rim properly. Ill let the air out and have another go...

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
Nice one.

Have you tried using glass cleaner instead of WD40, it is slippy enough but evaporates to leave no residue and helps to stop the tyre slipping (even when using a rimlock)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great walkthrough thanks. Going to attempt changing my tyre the weekend but wasn't sure on the mousse as it's my first one got the proclean lube but do i slap it on the rim/tyre or the mousse it self or both?

cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also the tyre clamp has left a big tyre clamp shaped dent in the mousse. I thought this would go after its been out for a while but nope so is it best to put this back in the same place or move it around?

cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts