KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says only ktm charger can be used to charge battery in place. If other charger used, take the battery out. Has anyone used an optimate charger to charge the battery in place?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Charging the battery

Yes I have. Must admit I didn't know the KTM rule.

The Optimate is a good charger so I just dropped the battery guard and connected. Never charged it since and it's been fine for 2 yrs plus.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers
sounds like its a manufacturers way of making $$ - use our charger or else!!
will not sell the optimate just yet..........

·
Registered
815 Posts
Optimate plugged straight into the socket on the dash. Jobs a good un. You must have an optimate 3 for this though, you can tell if it a 3 or higher by if you have the plastic connector that you can swap the charging ends. You will have to buy the cigarrette lighter attachment (cheap off ebay).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Do you have to do anything special to charge through the accessory socket on the dash? I have tried this with an optimate 3 from my bmw and my 07 990 did not want to play. Are they all wired the same? I know the bmw needed to be plugged in within a minute or the like.

Cheers:confused:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Hi

Do you have to do anything special to charge through the accessory socket on the dash? I have tried this with an optimate 3 from my bmw and my 07 990 did not want to play. Are they all wired the same? I know the bmw needed to be plugged in within a minute or the like.

Cheers:confused:
With the 990 I just plug my optimate straight into the accessory socket and it charges wonderfully.

I didn't modify anything - it just worked.

Pete

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a lead which i can connect to the battery which has a socket at the other end to plug into the Optimate. You don't have to take the cable off.

From the reading the above I assume this is ok to use as well.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I have a lead which i can connect to the battery which has a socket at the other end to plug into the Optimate. You don't have to take the cable off.

From the reading the above I assume this is ok to use as well.
Yup. But on the 990, theres no need to mess about in the battery box.
There is a perfectly good 12v terminals on the RHS near the starter relay (is mentioned in the manual)

-N

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Should I power my GPS from here as well?
Thanks Nick. :D
You can do. Certainly better than messing about with wires & fuses in the battery box.

As for accessory power, what I recommend is the following:
1) mount a fusebox identical to the standard one in the glovebox (critical here is that sucker allows the glovebox to be removed (just undo 2 bolts and it stays there while the glovebox goes away. No hanging leads & your maintainability /accessibility to the airbox isnt compromised.
2) Run well-sheathed & protected 12Ga wiring to that fusebox.
3) protect that wire very near the main terminal with a waterproof fuseholder (I have a few spares as it turns out - happy to swap 1 for a beer :) )

Then from there, you have 8 fused outputs to do with what you wish.
You can even mount a relay under there & have half of them switched and the other half always-on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sorry Tinman for hijacking your thread. :redface:

Thanks Nick, a weekend of work ahead methinks. :D

You can do. Certainly better than messing about with wires & fuses in the battery box.

As for accessory power, what I recommend is the following:
1) mount a fusebox identical to the standard one in the glovebox (critical here is that sucker allows the glovebox to be removed (just undo 2 bolts and it stays there while the glovebox goes away. No hanging leads & your maintainability /accessibility to the airbox isnt compromised.
2) Run well-sheathed & protected 12Ga wiring to that fusebox.
3) protect that wire very near the main terminal with a waterproof fuseholder (I have a few spares as it turns out - happy to swap 1 for a beer :) )

Then from there, you have 8 fused outputs to do with what you wish.
You can even mount a relay under there & have half of them switched and the other half always-on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
RiDE mag recommended the Deltran International charger

When RiDE magazine carried out a test of battery chargers, they came to the conclusion that the Optimate charger puts out too much current during trickle/maintenance charging, especially if you do not have a power sipping alarm attached.

The charger that RiDE mag recommended was the Deltran International Plus, because it puts out just enough charge to compensate for the low rate of natural discharge, therefore it can be left connected for months without fear of overcharging.

Although the Deltran charger looks a bit Micky Mouse, I think it may be the best way to go if you do not have an alarm. The croc clips are real copper unlike most which are just chromed steel.

This is where I got it from: http://www.poweredadventure.co.uk/battery/default.asp

See the vids! Don't you just love those Yanks! :D

I connect it via a 12V pp that I've wired directly (via a fuse) to the battery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi
You mentioned that you fitted a battery lead to use your Optimate. I know it comes with one but any ideas on routing this cable from the battery area under the engine to the little fuse/storage area on the tank?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Hi
You mentioned that you fitted a battery lead to use your Optimate. I know it comes with one but any ideas on routing this cable from the battery area under the engine to the little fuse/storage area on the tank?
I just stick it in the 12v accessory socket already supplied wired in on the bike. I got an adaptor from Halfords for a couple of quid - stuck it on the end of the optimate lead. Saves messing around wiring in adaptors on the bike.

Park up - put the plug into the socket and it's done!

Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Pete
Halfords ay!
Sorry to be a pain, but Ive looked on their website, any idea where to find it or what its called?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Thanks Pete
Halfords ay!
Sorry to be a pain, but Ive looked on their website, any idea where to find it or what its called?
Ahhh .............. might have been some 'other' car bits type place. We have a carcraft superstore round 'ere ..... so might have been from there. Might have been Ebay as well :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUAL-PURPOSE-12V-CONTINENTAL-UK-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-PLUG_W0QQitemZ170290953525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item170290953525&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Make sure you get the one with the removeable red adaptor that takes it from standard UK type down to whatever the KTM one is - which if my memory serves me right isn't the same as a BMW - I bought one of them and it didn't fit ;)

Not much help really am I ?? :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts