KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this idea years ago; well George Morrison who was an independent oil engineer gave me the idea.

Using powerful rare earth magnets to remove steel/iron/oxide particles from the oil, that cause wear and block filters. I thought easy enough; incorporate into a filter…wrong. There are many variants and materials used to make these magnets. Ferrite magnets can withstand higher temperatures but are noway near as strong; rare earth magnets have 10x plus the pulling force. I’ve been dealing with a magnet manufactures Doctorate of material engineering; I’ve had these magnets manufactured and licensed to fit this application, which have a higher pulling strength over normal neodymium's for size keeping the cover as slim as OEM.

On all the latest filters for all the KTM Adventures, SM’s, Dukes, all RC8’s and LC8’s, there is a bypass release valve, so if the filter blocks the bypass valve will open. For example, if the water pump seal seeps or due to high mileage service intervals the oil filter may block and collapse, and the valve will open. BUT, there will be NO oil pressure warning light indicating this – madness!
Two examples, the camshafts on my Super Enduro started breaking down due to non-metal inclusions during the manufacturers casting process, so tiny bits of extremely hardened steel were released into the oil, fine that’s what an oil filter is for. You hit a false neutral and grind gearbox teeth, it happens but what is stopping those extremely hardened steel particles in the oil circulating with the oil bypass valve open? Nothing, or perhaps the rubber valve just failed….it doesn’t take a great deal of moisture, coolant to clog paper oil filter.
:censored:

On all the LC8's there is a pressure release valve in the oil pump housing, when the pressure is too high, a piston moves held by a spring which then dumps oil back into the sump. So the bypass valve in the filter must open before the oil pump release valve.... KTM haven't thought this through....

This has been designed to highly magnetize the steel cap and steel centre core of the oil filter, the magnetic field extends deep into the oil filter chamber filtering the oil circuit, not like a sump magnet. It’s critical not to have any possibility of corrosion or any contamination in the engine, so it’s fully encased. You'll never struggle to get you oil filter out again but keep it 3 inches away from your phone, credit cards etc.

I’ve done two types for KTM’s. Round 75038041200 and Chamfered 59038041000.

They are machined from solid billet 6082 aluminium, anodized and high quality nitrile O-ring. £86 quid + Post @ cost. I've tried to keep the cost as low as possible, buts its a premium high end materials item and its not mass produced, this is a small batch and the third version, If there is enough interested I'll produce them...Though it doubles the cost of one oil change, it will help keep the engines life, will last the life of the bike and still look good on the fridge after....Its lighter and has a stronger pulling force than the Moose racing Syp-Ty design and is still £46 quid cheaper. PM me if you're interested. Or www.charlienut.com

This is a pair of big pliers on the steel cap bypass valve oil filter only, so you can see how much it magnetizes it. Pliers obviously stick to normal old 9*0 filters like shit. Looks better in the flesh cos I'm shit with a camera.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Still knockin' about Charlie ;)

Sign me up for one :burnout:

Will this fit all of the LC8 engines e.g. 1150/1290Adv, Superduke, SM etc?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still knockin' about Charlie ;)

Sign me up for one :burnout:

Will this fit all of the LC8 engines e.g. 1150/1290Adv, Superduke, SM etc?
Check part number mate....Round one fits the most, all above, 690, Adv's, RC8, SM, most of the 990's, all the new 1**0 LC8's Adv's, Superduke, 09 onwards 450 XC-W, 09 onwards 500 EXC.

Chamfered one for 950's early 990's, 450SMR, 450SX, 505SX, 525, 450XC, 525XC, RFS 250.

Can you post a decent photo...;)

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been asked a couple of questions.

Why on the filter and not a sump magnet? The sump magnet isn't on the oil circuit, its there to collect debris in the oil as it settles out of the oil in the sump/oil tank and they are just ferrite magnets. Inside the paper oil filters there is a steel tube with lots of holes in it, the filtered oil has to travel through this tube on route to the engines moving parts, its designed to magnetize this steel tube and caps without having a magnet inside the filter, so all the microscopic nano steel/iron particles that pass easily through the paper filter are then trapped onto the steel tube inside the filter and larger particles are draw to the cover not blocking the filter. Cos you throw the filter away having a magnet inside isn't viable cos of the cost and corrosion.

On the newer filters for the 9*0, 1050, 1190, 1290 Lc8's there is a release valve so if the filter blocks it opens...All the oil is going to have to flow past my cover at its strongest point....so its added protection, peace of mind...that something is still filtering and trapping any hard ferrous particles.

Will it effect the electrics/stator? No, because the magnetic field is static, not moving. The stators copper coils are too far away anyhow, but they are also static, not moving. When the engine is off, the stator is static...no electricity, same principle.

Have I explained well enough?

Cheers to those who've PM'd me. Can you please tell me which type you want, check your bike or parts manual against the part number. Round or Chamfered because some engines have either in the same year of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This magnet seems very powerful, I'm concerned it will slow the crank down.
You been on the Foster's again? The magnetic field is directed at the filter and is static...If you had a big steel flywheel on bearings and stuck a static magnet a 100 times more powerful 1mm away and span that flywheel it wouldn't make any difference, think computer hard drive. A) its not touching and B) its fixed. If you had a massive powerful electro magnet and span the flywheel it would only stop spinning because of the added friction exerted on the bearings and not its kinetic energy.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will have to check out but I only run that in one bike hence having one anyway.
I've tested it with stainless, depends on grade....but I've not got a Scott, if its just the mesh it will work as normal. It will still work if its all stainless, but it will work better with non chromium steel. You could send it to us and I'll test.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts