KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been looking on ebay for 2 stroke starters and there are sellers with ads for Nippon Denso starter motors offered between £45 and up. All the pictures look pretty much the same to me, and are all probably chinese copies.

Has anyone here actually bought one of these, if so, did they work and are they any worse than the oem starters?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I've heard they are not as good but I bought one on ebay and it's been fine. Most likely all made in same factory.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
150 starter motors are measured in minutes and not hours of life. If you get into hours then you have a good one. 250/300 starter motors seem much better.

Jerrypc69 was the first to work out and try a Chinese starter on a 150. £10 on ebay. Worked better than stock. I have now used a load of them (7 I think in total now). All have lasted longer than the oem trash that retails for £150! Even the stock £80 bendix can be had on eBay for less than £20. It’s all Mickey Mouse scooter kit.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Not all the same this one STARTER MOTOR FOR KTM MOTOR 250 300 EXC XCW XC 08-16 55140001100 410 WATT GB | eBay has a recess in the central part, this one For KTM Motorcycles Off-Road 250 300 XC EXC 2008 TO 2016 Starter Motor 410W | eBay does not. Not got a clue what that means if anything but the first one is like what sidecarbod turned the center section round on to get more torque Re-timing the starter motor for more low down torque I have one that looks like the second one and I can not do that with mine.
Just get one bought you tight arse!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The one on the ebay link looks to me like you could turn the centre section, unless I'm missing something here?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Can not tell from the outside there is a dowel or some sort of location on mine so it can only go in one position.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one with the groove around is the same as the one on my bike currently.
The point i'm getting at, is if you look a bit further on ebay, you can see what looks the same for £40. BOGOF offer!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
150 starter motors are measured in minutes and not hours of life. If you get into hours then you have a good one. 250/300 starter motors seem much better.

Jerrypc69 was the first to work out and try a Chinese starter on a 150. £10 on ebay. Worked better than stock. I have now used a load of them (7 I think in total now). All have lasted longer than the oem trash that retails for £150! Even the stock £80 bendix can be had on eBay for less than £20. It’s all Mickey Mouse scooter kit.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
eBay seller: MAJWIK Is giving a 2 year warranty. I’m looking for a spare and at £45 it’s a no brainier. Costs less than a tyre. Throw away item at that price.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
eBay seller: MAJWIK Is giving a 2 year warranty. I’m looking for a spare and at £45 it’s a no brainier. Costs less than a tyre. Throw away item at that price.
Mine has arrived today not exactly the same as in the pictures but not seeing that as a bad thing, dont know how it works yet keeping it as a spare.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Mine has arrived today not exactly the same as in the pictures but not seeing that as a bad thing, dont know how it works yet keeping it as a spare.
5 min job to fit and a chance to service the starter gear. Your call

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Umm not so good, pulls the bike out cold fuel off no choke presses the start button turns over no problem tries again the same so all good plenty of charge in the battery.
Fits the new starter first press it turns over fine every try after it would not turn the engine over, even takes it over tdc with the kickstart and tried again still would not turn the engine over :rolleyes:
takes the starter off which is quite warm by now and puts the old one back on, same battery no extra charge presses the button turns over fine. a few more times no problems, looks like a £45 paperweight:D

Maybe I could try what sidecarbod did as this starter is one of the ones with the groove in it like his was, give it a go when I feel some motivation.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just tried that mod twisting the center section by 4mm Re-timing the starter motor for more low down torque but no better, paperweight it is then!!!
My bike is 300 xc which has had recent full engine rebuild (proper one not one of the ones they supposedly have just before they go on sale;)) not sure if the xc has a bit more compression than the exc it certainly has a lot at the kick start, maybe ok on an exc or 250.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It a shame that the mod did not make any difference or enough of a difference to allow the motor to work, my 'experiment' proves that on my motor it did increase the low speed torque but I guess its not enough to get your ebay jobbie working!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Umm not so good, pulls the bike out cold fuel off no choke presses the start button turns over no problem tries again the same so all good plenty of charge in the battery.
Fits the new starter first press it turns over fine every try after it would not turn the engine over, even takes it over tdc with the kickstart and tried again still would not turn the engine over :rolleyes:
takes the starter off which is quite warm by now and puts the old one back on, same battery no extra charge presses the button turns over fine. a few more times no problems, looks like a £45 paperweight:D

Maybe I could try what sidecarbod did as this starter is one of the ones with the groove in it like his was, give it a go when I feel some motivation.
I’ve been using the cheap £45 starter now for a few weeks with no problems. Spins up first time and in gear from cold. The seller I bought off gave a 2 year guarantee. It’s odd how you are having problems.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
IMG_0309.JPG

I notice the body of it is a slightly smaller diameter than the mitsuba one that works ok, maybe it being a 300 xc and recent rebuild just pushes the compression up that bit that makes the differance.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Open up a copy and compare it with an oem one ....... you think the oem one is shit .....

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Like all ktm 2t starting systems, ALL of the components need to be spot on (starter, battery, bendix, crownwheel, case bushes)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I’ve just been thinking, how many manufacturers are making these? 1 maybe 2! More importantly which country are our KTM’s made in? Shoot me down but I recon Sherco, Yamaha Etc use this starter with the only difference being the outer case for mounting on the bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts