KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2005 950 SM a couple of weeks ago following painstaking research into what bike I wanted next. I have to say it totally fits the bill and is a brilliant bike. Been for a couple of wet & cold tours of the Yorkshire Dales (Something I wouldn't have bothered with on my previous sportsbikes) and was well impressed with all aspects of the bike especially the way it combines the best of offroad and sportsbike ability and attitude. Splashing through B road streams & cowshit followed by rock solid 100mph A road sweepers never felt so good.

Extras already on the bike were handguards, Akro tailpipes, and KTM tankbag. Have since fitted a 690SM screen which creates and nice bubble of calmer air to sit in on the faster roads.

The only problem seems to be some hesitiation on part throttle at low to mid engine speeds. Although this is only mildly annoying, I'd like to sort it. Having reviewed other posts it would be good to get some confirmation of my order of actions to cure this, namely;

1. 16T sprocket
2. Balance carbs
3. Check carb needle circlip position (I believe that these should be 3rd groove from the top with Akros fitted?)
4. Block EPC air inlets to plastic caps over carb diaphragms
5. Alter pilot air screw from std setting

Good forum.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any chance of a pic of the 690 screen fitted to your 950?
Ditto that. Very timely - been trying to find something all day!

It looks as though the central bolt holes will line up, but did you need to drill/modify the fairing for the outer 2?

JB

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to drill 4 holes but the kit comes with a template and some nice quality fasteners. I think the screen looks good and it certainly works. Oozes OE quality too. I'll put some photos on if I can work out how to do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had to drill 4 holes but the kit comes with a template and some nice quality fasteners. I think the screen looks good and it certainly works. Oozes OE quality too. I'll put some photos on if I can work out how to do it.
ooooh....KTM supply all those bits with a proper spare part??

Nice. I'll order one now.

JB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's one of the 990 screen...

one of the 690 screen fitted to a 690

and here's one I found on here, of a 690 screen fitted to a 950. I can't find the original thread, so hope the owner doesn't mind me posting. If so, please let me know and I'll remove it. Not quite close enough for a proper examination, though.

JB

·
Registered
739 Posts
Picked up my 2005 950 SM a couple of weeks ago following painstaking research into what bike I wanted next. I have to say it totally fits the bill and is a brilliant bike. Been for a couple of wet & cold tours of the Yorkshire Dales (Something I wouldn't have bothered with on my previous sportsbikes) and was well impressed with all aspects of the bike especially the way it combines the best of offroad and sportsbike ability and attitude. Splashing through B road streams & cowshit followed by rock solid 100mph A road sweepers never felt so good.

Extras already on the bike were handguards, Akro tailpipes, and KTM tankbag. Have since fitted a 690SM screen which creates and nice bubble of calmer air to sit in on the faster roads.

The only problem seems to be some hesitiation on part throttle at low to mid engine speeds. Although this is only mildly annoying, I'd like to sort it. Having reviewed other posts it would be good to get some confirmation of my order of actions to cure this, namely;

1. 16T sprocket
2. Balance carbs
3. Check carb needle circlip position (I believe that these should be 3rd groove from the top with Akros fitted?)

I would get it re-jetted and set up professionally at a reputable dyno centre.
Chris at X Bikes 01945 585533 is extremely good and is spot on with suspension set up too. :rolleyes:;):cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts

1. 16T sprocket
2. Balance carbs

Could be any of the above, i am guessing you know about carb icing? Does it just happen when you gently get back on the gas whilst riding in cold and damp conditions, because thats what mine does but this is cured by using PRO FST.

Before changing the sprocket check and see what is fitted already most 950sm have been fitted with a 16tooth as the most common upgrade.

Enjoy the Dales, mind out for the sheep and those stone walls:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be any of the above, i am guessing you know about carb icing? Does it just happen when you gently get back on the gas whilst riding in cold and damp conditions, because thats what mine does but this is cured by using PRO FST.

Before changing the sprocket check and see what is fitted already most 950sm have been fitted with a 16tooth as the most common upgrade.

Enjoy the Dales, mind out for the sheep and those stone walls:D
It seems to have improved a bit now that the warmer & dryer weather is here. That Pro FST sounds like good stuff though so will give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey family man!

mine is a 2006 and I have done the following mods...

16T front
Devil magnum cans
Eclip tacho
removed EPC and SAS
45 pilot jet from 42
stock needles POS2
mixture screws at 1.5 and 1.25

Great result pulls cleanly. Better idle than stock, mine was very rich. Hope this helps. I am in AUS. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting. I have the same sort of problem on my bog standard 2006 SM. Mine surges on slight throttle opening. Very noticable when on constant part throttle filtering through rush hour traffic. I'm guesing its on the needle circuit? Whats the standard needle setting and does lowering it a notch improve things?

·
Registered
7 Posts
P2 is stock. By lifting the needle you are adding fuel from 1/8 throttle to WOT. From what I have been told/researched the 950 SM is lean off idle. The reason for this is to meet euro emissions. According to experts over here there are two ways to fix this problem.

1. Fit a smaller pilot air jet (top side of carb) or

2. Fit a 45 pilot fuel jet (float bowl side of carb). But not both!

Once you have done this you would need to adjust your mixture screws to suit. And it would be a good idea to get the carbs balanced.:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
P2 is stock. By lifting the needle you are adding fuel from 1/8 throttle to WOT. From what I have been told/researched the 950 SM is lean off idle. The reason for this is to meet euro emissions. According to experts over here there are two ways to fix this problem.

1. Fit a smaller pilot air jet (top side of carb) or

2. Fit a 45 pilot fuel jet (float bowl side of carb). But not both!

Once you have done this you would need to adjust your mixture screws to suit. And it would be a good idea to get the carbs balanced.:D
I might do that as 50% of my riding is where I experience this and its quite annoying. Is the pilot air jet easy to get at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yep not too bad. They are on the top of the carb under the black cap that holds the needle and spring in place. You can leave the carbs in place attached to rubbers while you do the mod. Don't quote me on this one but I think the stock (air jet for the pilot circut) is an 80 and you replace it with a 70. Any dealer should be able to tell you about this. I think it is an approved dealer modification????

check out the KTM Hall of Wisdom website re accessing the carbs. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got halfway through this job so far. I have removed the SAS kit and fitted some lovely KTM blanking plates and airbox plug. I've unplugged and removed the EPC kit and found M5 screws with a bit of Loctite went nicely into the holes on the carb caps. I also found that blanking caps (the type that are soldered on) for 15mm copper pipe (for domestic plumbing) were a perfect fit to blank off the holes left in the airbox grommets where the EPC air pipes used to be. I used superglue to secure them once inserted and they look fine. I've raised the needles a notch to 3rd position.

I now face the task of getting it all back together.

Just one question; What are the two small tubes for that come from the manifolds. One is blanked by plugging onto a stub on the airbox. One used to attach to the SAS valve. I presume that I just blank these off, or find some caps to blank off at the manifold, as the tubes appear to serve no purpose.

Already fitted the 16T sprocket. A worthwhile improvement to the performance through the lower ratios, and top only useful over about 75mph which is fine for motorway stuff.

Still loving the bike, although had a sore arse after 200 miles on Tuesday. Thinking about the gel seat.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the lines are vacum. I left one connected to the airbox and the other I blocked off with a bolt. Keep them accessable so that you or the mechanic can use them to balance the carbs. Google head2wind jet kit and go to advrider forum.

I have been through heaps of jetting changes since I last posted (probably had carbs out 15 times) and IMO a prefilter and head2wind jet kit is the only way to go unless you wanna spend 1200 usd on flatslides.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got it back together now although I stripped the threads on one of the carb rubber clips so this will need replacing when I get another. I set the pilot air screws both 2 turns out for starters and will give it a run.

I've blocked the vac lines as advised.

Also, there's a short clear plastic pipe clipped to the frame with a small filter on the end which appears to not be connected to anything. Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Also, there's a short clear plastic pipe clipped to the frame with a small filter on the end which appears to not be connected to anything. Anyone know what this is?
Pic?

On the left hand side? Could be the airbox drain? Not connected properly?

Agreed with above, the H2W jetting & pre-filter really transforms the bike in the low-to-mid range. That said, I think his mains are a bit on the rich side. Id go with leaner.

The only issue with the pre-filter setup is there isnt a lot of surface area - so they need regular cleaning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts