KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help
I have a ktm 450exc-r 08 model. I have just fitted a fan kit and thought I would get it warm to see if the fan came on by letting it run upright on a stand until it got hot. After 5 mins it started bellowing smoke out the exhast, so much I could not see my drive. I stopped it quick though it sounded ok. I started it up again, fan was not running and it still bellowed smoke, it sounded ok so I wizzed it up the road and back and it still runs fine. Is any thing wrong with it ??????????/

HELP PLEASE I DONT WANT TO DESTROY IT -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it out for a ride last night and it still wheelies in every gear n goes like hell - no smoke
Only smokes if left ticking over for 5 mins or more
have read some other reports on the tinternet of other ktms doing the same thing - no technical explanation why though

If anyone has any usefull info it would be appreciated rather than moronic replys
cheers

mark

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
maybe when the engine is too hot, oil is managing to seep into the chamber?

KIY might be able to help with this one. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I believe it's crank case back pressure building up on tickover. Disconect the crankcase breather pipe from the inlet, then block the hole in the inlet. Now let it tickover & see if it still does it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I believe it's crank case back pressure building up on tickover. Disconect the crankcase breather pipe from the inlet, then block the hole in the inlet. Now let it tickover & see if it still does it.
makes sence. good man :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks i will give that a go
If that cures it
a, will there have been any damage
b, whats the best long term way of preventing it happening again

Many thanks
Mark

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
sounds like a breather pipe.

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
I dunno. How much oil was in the motor.

Personally I dont like fans...... or EXC-r motors ;)

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Too much oil in it, then. So it expands when it gets hot, then exits via the breather. I would run it close to the bottom of the sight glass.

No need for a fan if you only have the motor running when you are moving.

The EXC-r motor is too complex for its own good. Why the factory dont make it single oil like their own works motors I dont know. The camchain tensioner rattle is why I sold mine, but that was back in 08 before the Dirt Tricks tensioner was available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts