KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
could the issue be that riders are slipping the clutch when not understanding the electronics? , it feels like its loosing traction when in fact the electronics are kicking in, hence riders ride the clutch as they think the bikes spinning the back wheel etc, it wont take long to cook the clutch if people are doing this all the time?

just a thought and yes i do ride a 790 adventure r

·
Registered
2 Posts
could the issue be that riders are slipping the clutch when not understanding the electronics? , it feels like its loosing traction when in fact the electronics are kicking in, hence riders ride the clutch as they think the bikes spinning the back wheel etc, it wont take long to cook the clutch if people are doing this all the time?

just a thought and yes i do ride a 790 adventure r[/QUOTE

Laia Sanz's clutch had to be replaced at the Bosnia Rally. Laia is a thirteen-time Women's Trial World Champion, so you would expect SHE knows how to use a clutch.

The Guy I spoke with has been riding all his life never had a Clutch Failure in his life ... Been riding street and dirt all his life

Mark writes that he had to replace his clutch at his expense, "KTM just said wear and tear so had to pay myself." If your clutch looks like this you might want to investigate further, so take the three bolts and cover off, then take out each plate and check them for heat damage, loss of material, etc.

J P De Villiers writes, "After my first clutch burnt and the fault was put on me after only 2700 km. I put a [heavy duty] Rekluse torque drive with the hope it will be a stronger replacement. It took exactly 300 km, clutch started taking high and slipping exactly like before."

In Quintin Mclaughlin's case he had only just run the bike in and had the initial service before setting off on a road trip through France, Spain and Portugal. Clutch failure at only 2,000 miles and KTM's reaction is to leave him stranded for four days and for him to have to arrange repatriation despite supposedly being covered by KTM Mobility breakdown cover.

Laia Sanz's clutch had to be replaced at the Bosnia Rally. Laia is a thirteen-time Women's Trial World Champion, so you would expect SHE knows how to use a clutch.

Bill Cairns was one of the first to report a clutch failure to the community. Bill is an avid poster of biking action videos and KTM took one look at these and decided Bill was misusing the clutch. KTM would not allow the warranty on the rest of the engine to continue unless Bill spent close to £3,000 on a complete engine rebuild.

The 790 community generally believed the clutch problems are due to a lack of lubrication and possibly because the oil filters are not picking up small amounts of debris that is then blocking the oil jet lubricating the clutch, however KTM REFUSES to engage with any of the owners who have had problems, making a resolution impossible to determine. This is irresponsible in the extreme.

I believe these reports are only the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just look at that top picture:eek:, looks like the clutch cover sealing face has been machined with a house brick
that's the norm apparently as paper gaskets are sort of passé the use of silicone gasket are in, and this rough surface is on purpose to give the silicone a better adhesion (larger surface area than flat)...

KTM isn't the only one, Ducati and another brand are doing the same.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Read the first page, I assume it continues, tbh this is typical KTM, I don't think I could buy another one of their bikes they are plagued with issues and no interest from the manufacturer. Everyone slates gasgas and sherco etc for reliability and quality of components, but are KTM any better?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Read the first page, I assume it continues, tbh this is typical KTM, I don't think I could buy another one of their bikes they are plagued with issues and no interest from the manufacturer. Everyone slates gasgas and sherco etc for reliability and quality of components, but are KTM any better?
I couldn't agree less.

That has not been my experience. My first 990 did 56,000 miles in 18 months - faultlessly. My next 990 and the succeeding two 1190 Rs again faultless.

The screen on my 790 has the slight misting problem. Just leaving it until KTM comes up with the fix. My dealers says around March. I've also had to tighten the thermostat hose. Hardly a big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, fellow KTM-ers, across the pond; my clutch just failed on my 790R. 30 miles after the first (600mi) service was done. Yes, 630 total miles with about 450mi of easy road cruising and the rest of (very) light trail riding. This just happened yesterday, 10-15 minutes into an extremely easy trail ride. Barely touched the clutch. It was when I went up this short ultra easy incline, about 40ft long, when I felt the bike was barely making it the few feet up this molehill. I immediately noticed the clutch was slipping. After few minutes of checking stuff like cable freeplay (which was fine), and taking few videos for the dealer, I had to nurse the bike back. I was able to roll the bike back'n'forth while in gear!
Of course, now when it's cooled off, it 'seems' ok. I'm not opening anything up... taking it right back to the dealer. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, fellow KTM-ers, across the pond; my clutch just failed on my 790R. 30 miles after the first (600mi) service was done. Yes, 630 total miles with about 450mi of easy road cruising and the rest of (very) light trail riding. This just happened yesterday, 10-15 minutes into an extremely easy trail ride. Barely touched the clutch. It was when I went up this short ultra easy incline, about 40ft long, when I felt the bike was barely making it the few feet up this molehill. I immediately noticed the clutch was slipping. After few minutes of checking stuff like cable freeplay (which was fine), and taking few videos for the dealer, I had to nurse the bike back. I was able to roll the bike back'n'forth while in gear!
Of course, now when it's cooled off, it 'seems' ok. I'm not opening anything up... taking it right back to the dealer. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts