KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Keep your chain in good condition and you need never worry about damaging your slave. If you fit a protector it's a bigger target and often results in damage to the crankcase.

Reactions: Bungie

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Instead of making Jeff rich you could take a grinder and remove the inner two teeth on the rear side of the brake pedal. Exactly those two teeth punch the hole in the cover when things go wrong.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
+1 with Kev. KTM don't even produce them for their 125s anymore. Change the clip in your link regularly as it wears on the rear chain guide plus change your chain regularly.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
I think you are talking at cross purposes. For my understanding D&C is looking for a clutch cover protection, not for a clutch slave cylinder protection. But maybe am just wrong *lol*

Reactions: fletche36

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Could not open the link, soz. I agree on smoothing the brake pedal

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In that case why not just buy a bash plate with sides? We've used them for years and never had a damaged clutch/inner clutch cover or water pump.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
That's not a slavens product, it's a KTM Power Parts clutch cover protector. I've got one on my bike. it's good, but you can't remove it without taking the clutch cover off. It's probably full of crap behind there by now I think. You get some sticky back foam to put on the casing before you fit the cover. This helps keep mud collecting behind the cover, but probably doesn't stop everything. I hav'nt had mine off since I fitted it 75 hours ago.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Correct steveman i was wondering what the hell they were going on about! Boots rub the hell out of clutch cover and just wanted to protect it. The only one i can find is the slave racing one which is fine but wondered if there were any other options as i can't seem to find any

Slavens Racing | Plastic Clutch Cover Protection for KTM 250/350F
That one seems to be the better deal as it covers a bigger part of the clutch cover. If you're not annoyed by its color buy it. I'd follow nickr's recommendation and put some foam, rubber or similar stuff between clutch cover and the plastic protector to avoid collecting all the crap and dirt.

@nickr: yep, u r right, both shown cover protectors are from KTM not Slavens...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
That one seems to be the better deal as it covers a bigger part of the clutch cover. If you're not annoyed by its color buy it. I'd follow nickr's recommendation and put some foam, rubber or similar stuff between clutch cover and the plastic protector to avoid collecting all the crap and dirt.

@nickr: yep, u r right, both shown cover protectors are from KTM not Slavens...
the foam comes with the cover.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Ah.. splendid!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Correct steveman i was wondering what the hell they were going on about! Boots rub the hell out of clutch cover and just wanted to protect it. The only one i can find is the slave racing one which is fine but wondered if there were any other options as i can't seem to find any

Slavens Racing | Plastic Clutch Cover Protection for KTM 250/350F

If you are only worried about your boots rubbing the casing try some clear adhesive vinyl cut to shape. Sad I know but it works a treat and is still in place on my bike + casing still looks like new after over 1000 off road miles and numerous jet washes. That reminds me, what's the best way to jet wash a bike? :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wondered about the idea of vinyl but thought it might not be unto it with the heat and the washing. The bash plate only comes around so far so but does of the main actual protection to the bike.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just looking for some protection - not looking for any of the posh aftermarket alloy jobs as they are going to get trashed anyway! All i can kind that offers any decent kind of coverage is this

Slavens Racing | Clutch Case Guard for KTM, Husaberg, Husqvarna by STR

Anything else?
Type in Ktm clutch protector on eBay Hyde make one, Procarbon make one.

They are pretty pointless in my opinion, no one wants a scruffy looking bike so they make a bling but to cover it and 'protect' it. All that happens is the bling but gets scuffed up and the results the same. Also you'll find that dirt will get behind that cover vibrate away between them rubbing away at your clutch case so when you take it off it isn't going to look fresh anyway..
Truth is it's unavoidable in this game, best thing to do is buy a brand new clutch case when you come to sell the bike so it looks fresh then, when it actually matters. Probably cost less to.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Type in Ktm clutch protector on eBay Hyde make one, Procarbon make one.

They are pretty pointless in my opinion, no one wants a scruffy looking bike so they make a bling but to cover it and 'protect' it. All that happens is the bling but gets scuffed up and the results the same. Also you'll find that dirt will get behind that cover vibrate away between them rubbing away at your clutch case so when you take it off it isn't going to look fresh anyway..
Truth is it's unavoidable in this game, best thing to do is buy a brand new clutch case when you come to sell the bike so it looks fresh then, when it actually matters. Probably cost less to.
it's not just for cosmetics............a hole in the clutch case is game over, especially if you're miles away on a trail somewhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts