KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound stupid but ran into some issues regarding the slipper clutch rebuild.
After several attempts the center bolt doesn't move one mm.

I've the use of a power release tool now and the right nut to put on the center bolt...seemed it's usa-type btw not euro-matrix
Thing is if I get this wrong and and releasing that center bolt in the wrong direction I risk destroying my complete gearbox...it's a electric type that starts with 150Nm release power and after 3sec's it even reaches 400Nm...you'll understand I've got to have the correct release direction in first attempt.

milwauke 400Nm---power gun.

The nut that gave me no rest since saturday....:dozey:

So is it Left or Right release direction ?????

All slipper clutch tutorials that I've read in the last couple of weeks figuered out it's a pretty straight forward job, and if that nut came lose immediatly it would have been a one hour job indeed....the technical manual doesn't mention much, just some smart pix and some text, now take off this, take off that...pfff, sounds more easy...you'll need some specical tools also.

...if that nut comes off, I'll have to change the outer basket also, that's another story :hmh:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't tell by your photo but you need the clutch holding tool to lock the inner hub and outer basket together so the nut can break loose:

You are correct the manual does not specify the nut removal direction.
Which leads me to believe, since the clutch is on the right side of the engine, a left hand shaft thread would loosen the clutch hub with engine rotation.
So it's likely a normally threaded shaft so the nut comes off normally.
Unfortunately, that's my opinion never having performed the operation.
Maybe someone who has actually done it can advise?

·
Registered
249 Posts
thanks for putting that up, I was just about to ^^

And the manual you sent me, Cageyar, does show the direction as left in a box marked "Info: Left handed thread! Make sure the crankshaft is blocked".

·
Registered
217 Posts
thanks for putting that up, I was just about to ^^

And the manual you sent me, Cageyar, does show the direction as left in a box marked "Info: Left handed thread! Make sure the crankshaft is blocked".
I might be wrong but isn't that "Info" reference for the nut on the primary gear shaft, not the trans mainshaft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi , on my R1 2004 , when i fitted my slipper clutch i didn't had a tool to hold the clutch basket , what i done was got the engine in gear , got a piece of wood wraped in a blanket through the rear wheel and swing arm soo the engine doesn't rotate .....it went well .....i believe the R1 was normal thread...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The release direction is counter-clockwise, just found out thx to KevTX for pointing this out.
Btw got the technical manual, but that is pretty obsolete as I found out already.
I'll give it another attempt this afternoon, with correct bolt.
Ordered the correct clutch release tool on ebay, believe me those things are hard to find, no car or tool shops can supply this,you'll only get it via ebay or amazon.

One advice never use this clutch holding tool, this tool will destroy your outer clutch basket as I found out already, bummer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts