KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Last months I have noticed that if I am in a highway and revving the bike and keeping it at its top speed for a long time the clutch lever become a little loose.

When I am getting out of the highway and getting into the city the lever become normal again..

First thing that I thought was ok, possibly I need to change the fluids and re-bleed the system but last Friday I ran over a mechanic and said to him my problem and he replied to do a fluid change and overall check the system but 99% is from the clutch basket.. :eek:

That is getting loose and that cause the pressure drop. :frown:

Do you have any idea of how can I check that?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
Nothing to do with the fluid or the basket.

It is engine pressure building up and pushing the slave cylinder piston. Pressure is greater than the slave spring can cope. If you pump the clutch lever a few times it will return to normal.

Make sure the engine breather hose is clear, not kinked or full off oily dirt.

The supermoto racers fit a cable clutch to get rid of the problem.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you pump the clutch lever a few times it will return to normal.
True, even if I slow down a bit and pump it, it turn to normal.
So it's not a problem that I should worry about, right?

The supermoto racers fit a cable clutch to get rid of the problem.
How the heck do that? how do they remove the hydraulic cylinder from the engine and replace it with a cable one?
Just out of curiosity :)

Cheers Kev!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
before you think about changing to a cable...... check your breather as the mighty kev said, could save hours of work....

oh Kev..... can you up grade the slave spring or pack it out?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't make any rush decision. ;)

That is also my question, what are the options to eliminate that except changing from hydraulic to cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts