KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new on here and to the bike!

THE STORY: After picking up my 2006 KTM SX-F 250 on sunday i had a ride and the bike rode great with no problems, i then let my father have a ride and with little experience on motorbikes he went flying through a set of wooden gates ( 8 cracked ribs and a broken clavical :eek: ) i was quick to switch the bike off but did run on its side for around 5 seconds.

THE FAULT: The bike runs fine with no real damage shown but the clutch on the bike will not engage at all. i tried adjusting, no difference and attempted a bleed on it but still no luck, so I'm looking for a bit of help as to what to test and how so i can replace/repair the correct part.

Muchly appreciated!:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did it bleed at all? Thinking maybe he's damaged the slave cylinder or put a hole in the hose so when the clutch lever is pressed it just pushes fluid out the hole rather than engaging the clutch.

Ps: Hope he's ok and has a speedy recovery sounds a nasty one!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
did you back bleed it from the slave?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the fast reply, he's on the mend!

theres no cuts or breaks in the clutch line and doesn't appear to be leaking. I attempted to use a mityvac to back bleed from the slave nipple up to the master cylinder which didn't work (could of been how i had the vac setup) so i then bled it manually opening and closing the bleed nipple while pumping the lever which did work but didn't make any change..

is it possible the internals of the master cylinder have split and not pushing the fluid down to the slave and a way of checking this?

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Do you really mean it wont engage? As in no matter what you do the engine will not drive the gearbox? Could be the lever touching the handguard.

Or do you mean the clutch wont disengage? As in the engine is always driving the gearbox?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have not lost anything from inside the lever? When you press the clutch lever theres a little piston sort of thing that compress and pushes the fluid down to the slave cylinder. I'm wondering weather that has snapped as i'm assuming when hitting the fence the front of the bike and the handlebars and levers would have definitely hit something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i should have been more thorough, i mean the clutch won't operate.

for example; if the engine is running and gearbox is in neutral, then the clutch lever is pulled then a gear is selected the bike stalls

understand?

and I'm pretty certain (will double check) that all lever parts are there, the plunger is there for the lever, just checked with the parts online and seems correct from memory.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It could be that the inner tube holding the fluid has split and it is leaking out into the clear protector over-tube.

Happened to me once. I hit a tree and the impact was between the clutch master cylinder and the forks. Turned out this split the inner braided tube at the exit of the MC, and when I pulled the lever, the fluid came out of the split and filled up the protective plastic tube. Took me ages to find it as the fluid works its way down the whole lenght between the 2 tubes and doesn't swell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah can select all gears when the bikes not running.

i thought i might have to do that! maybe save the bill till he's feeling a bit better :cool:

just thought id try here for any quick fixes, don't suppose clutch plates could be stuck or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh i see dang2407 so there was kind of a break in the clutch line internally but not leaking as such? will check that cheers

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
These clutches are known to drag when engine is cold, depends what oil is in them, Warm engine up and then try.
A long shot but a possibility. Always look for the basics first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts