KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just browsing the web and spotted this battery, its cheap and yet has more than twice the CCA of any other battery that I've seen of the same size (lead acid) at 235, its seems hard to believe to me. I've sent Tanya, the people that sell them a message but what do you guys reckon?...

YG7L-BS GEL Poweroad Motorcycle Battery (tayna.co.uk)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Have you checked the dimensions of the standard battery? That one looks far too big.

As an aside, I've always had great performance from the enduroline batteries from that site.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked, its bigger than the 'standard' battery, its the same size as the yxt7 which does actually fit even though that's bigger than the standard battery.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Isn't it too tall?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a YTX7 fitted in my bike now, it is 113mm tall, it has 100CCA. The Poweroad one is the same size but has more than twice the CCA.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
I have a zero gravity insane money battery in the 150. It to has way more cca than stock. It’ll just about start it nearly always. I just decided that ktm do not make the right starting system for the individual character of each bike. This is where their one thing for all bikes philosophy falls down. 450/500 4t start well on the same stock battery and a 150 won’t.wtf.

One day ktms starters might get as good as their marketing.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reseller got back to me and stated that the info on the battery was supplied by the manufacturer. I then looked at other Poweroad batteries and compared them to Yuasa batteries, the Poweroad ones all have way more CCA, I find it amazing that they are so much higher but I've bought one that is equivalent to the yxt7-bs jobbie, lets see if it really is better. (it better had be!)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tayna.uk, once sent me a battery (Honda VTR Sp2) that was much bigger size than stock. IIRC they had some wrong information on system.
I got back to them, they checked with the manufacturer, apologized for the confusion and sent the right size straight away.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tayna.uk, once sent me a battery (Honda VTR Sp2) that was much bigger size than stock. IIRC they had some wrong information on system.
I got back to them, they checked with the manufacturer, apologized for the confusion and sent the right size straight away.
The dimensions are the same as a Yausa 7ah battery so I'm sure that it will fit as a replacement for the battery that I have, even that battery is not the standard 4 or 5ah jobbie that KTM specify. Its the massive increase is CCA that has tempted me to buy this battery. I thought that the CCA number quoted might be an error for this one battery size but they quote higher CCA figures than everyone else for all sizes.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'd be sceptical about that figure.
Tanya say 235, but other sites say 200 (as does its datasheet).

So it has over double the CCA of the others in that size but without increasing the physical size or weight.
Added to that it's a Chinese brand...

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so I have to admit something!...I'm a dickhead of biblical proportions, I was looking at the wrong fucking battery!

To everyone that said it would not fit, you are right, sorry!

I do have a larger battery fitted to my bike, its a Vertex VPZ7-3 which is the same size as the Yuasa YTZ7S 6.3 ah jobbie, it has a CCA of 90 amps

The Poweroad battery that I should have been looking at is a YG7S, this one does have a CCA of 180 amps, it is the same size as the other batteries at H-105mm, W-69mm, L-113mm.

I spoke to Tayna, they said that they are a new brand and are very popular, they are out of stock of the one that I need, other places do have it in stock but at loads more money so I'll stick with my battery for a while, like others have said "Chinese AND twice the CCA"...Hmm.

Anyway to make up for my dickheadedness I've posted up something that I've found which might be worth looking at on your bike, basically the battery box was wearing away the battery casing due to ridges that are formed in the battery box, I removed the ridges using a really sharp wood chisel. (4 ridges in total), the pics don't really show how deep the grooves were in the battery, the second pic shows my work after the ridges have been removed from the battery box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just a quick update in case anyone finds this thread in the future.

My new Poweroad battery arrived this morning, I fitted it to my bike and put it on charge for a couple hours until the charger stated that the battery was fully charged, I then hit the starter button (from stone cold). In my opinion it does not crank the engine over any quicker than my Vertex battery! So that was a waste of 25 quid! all I can say is don't trust the Chinese...180 CCA, my arse!

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Hopefully not a dud? My zero gravity battery was a huge amount more cca from memory. Motor still only turned over slower than I’d like but it’d do it for longer and not get stuck at tdc like it did on the stock battery. With a bit of luck you’ll find it’ll work better and more consistently on the trail?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully not a dud? My zero gravity battery was a huge amount more cca from memory. Motor still only turned over slower than I’d like but it’d do it for longer and not get stuck at tdc like it did on the stock battery. With a bit of luck you’ll find it’ll work better and more consistently on the trail?
To be fair my older Vertex battery was fine anyway, it would start the engine from stone cold as long as the engine fired up quickly, and that's with a high CR head. It would always fire the engine up when the engine was hot. I decided to make a rule for myself which was to kick the engine into life when it was cold but then use the button after that. The new Poweroad battery was just a bit of an experiment, the blurb stated that it had 180 CCA compared to the 90 of my Vertex. I think they are telling 'porkies' with regards to the 180 CCA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts