KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Lads,

as the reccesion hit me hard I don't think I'll be able to purchase plastic gobi panniers for my summer trip. I already have a grey plastic top box and a pannier rack. I came across this website:
http://sites.google.com/site/rtwxtz660/alluboxes
and am playing with the idea making the panniers myself.

My question is what do you guys think about putting plastic top box and alu panniers together? Would it look bad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont think the plastic/ally combo would look as bad as those ally panniers in the link ;-)

But tbh who really gives a fig, they are just boxes to hold stuff.

do you already have the topbox and rack for this and panniers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Kinda like the black corners on them. It makes it look different ;)

i have top box fitted and i have rack for panniers but no panniers.. looking for cheap way to go... :hmh:

just found those Alpos cases.. http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/motorcycle-hard-luggage-aluminium-panniers-c-373_375.html
Anyone have/had them? Do you need to get third party mounting kit?
My cousin has them on his GS, they do have a different mounting system but you could buy the touratech mounting kit and use on the alpos boxes.

IMO they are a bit cheap and nasty looking and you could probably get a pair of 2nd hand gobis for the price of new alpos cases, but they did the trick for him until he replaced them with some used touratech ones

·
Registered
282 Posts
so they're not really number one, are they... :hmh:
No they aren't, I'd be trying to get the money for some panniers made by redcatch over on ukgser (think some members here have them) but £325 a pair, Gobis are bulletproof and seem to go for around £200 in nice nick on fleabay, If I was selling my beat up old faithfuls I'd be looking for a hundred (but im not as far as i know sorry)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use grey KTM topbox along with touratech ali boxes and to be honest they don't look too bad....in any case i don't give a toss what they look like I just know i can carry everything I need for a long trip including the kitchen sink...especially when the missus comes along

I got a good deal with the touratech ali panniers otherwise I'd be looking at making some like those alu boxes they don't look bad at all and who gives a shit anyway as long as they are practical

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here you go. check these out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KTM-Adventure-990-Luggage-Boxes_W0QQitemZ250584774701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3a5804382d[/URL]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here you go. check these out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KTM-Adventure-990-Luggage-Boxes_W0QQitemZ250584774701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3a5804382d[/URL]
Will defo keep an eye on them.. thanks.. are they yours??

Ain't you got anybody in Dublin you could borrow them off for the trip?
I only know one friend how rides this bike but he doesn't have them.. and the 950/990 comunity in Ireland isn't large like you have in the UK.. There was no ktm adv for sale for last 4 months.. recently one showed up and was gone by the very next day.. Mine was the only bike advertised at the time as well.. Just to give you an idea how its like here.. I can only dream about the offroad you can do. In Ireland every f'king mountain, field or even unused piece of land belongs to someone so everywhere are steel gates which you can get around..
At least my friend does trials bike too so when there is some race on and conditions allow I can enjoy the bike on fire roads in the forest.. But to be honest it's only few times a year as the trials are a winter sport...

Upfff it's out of me chest now.. :mad:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I wouldn't give a fuck what they looked like ... As long as they are secured properly , hold what you need and are waterproof . But that's just me .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Christ there a bit "dads army" them things.. I'd hang out for a set of Gobi's on fleabay or go down the Alpos route if money is the issue. Mind the Alpos are a tad on the flimsy side. My mate dropped (off the side stand so not moving) his trans alp with Alpos on and they bent like toffee....but pushed back out just as easy though. Gobi's got a fair bit of give in them...I know times is tough, but you know what they say.."you buy cheap you buy twice"..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts