KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I’ve fucked about with every bike under the sun and the 1290 SDR is just unbeatable. So I’ve decided to keep it (this month) and complete the puzzle

OZ GASS forged wheels in gloss black - £1990 on a deal from Bike Torque Racing

Full Maxton Suspension, SD25 forks and GP10 shock - £2050

They will do the purple spring etc in black for me too. I had a go on one with Maxton and it’s unreal stuff

Fucking bikes eh, I’d be loaded if I didn’t like them 🤣

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Can't argue with your reasoning if you're going to keep it long term.

At the best part of 4k I think I'd be buying some other bike to join the stable , but that might just be me 😁

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Actually while your mentioning keepers, this SDR must be getting close to the longest owned ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got suspension, not fitted it yet and I'm already thinking carbon wheels. But Im gonna try and not do the wheels. I have will power, or so I keep saying to myself.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
531 Posts
At the best part of 4k I think I'd be buying some other bike to join the stable , but that might just be me 😁
I spent £5000 on suspension and engine work on my eleven year old Ducati and it cost me £9000 to start with seven years ago..
There are certainly faster more sophisticated contemporary bikes I could buy new for less cash but they won't have the same visceral riding experience. New bikes have to be all things to all people which tends to make them polite and woolly. A fully fettled and uncorked special, especially if it's pre-electronics analogue, is the sort of bike manufacturers would have made if they were allowed. Rationally it makes no sense. Until you ride it...

When I've sold my house, got resettled and pulled the Ducati out of dry dock it needs carbon wheels (BST I expect), a full carbon airbox and tuned intakes, an aluminium tank - which will come unpainted so it might as well have a full rebuild and custom paint job - and a one-off titanium exhaust system because the Termigoni full system isn't up to scratch and is losing me about 5 bhp. And while I'm doing that I may revisit the engine with some cast pistons and lumpier cams, possible from a 1098R.
And so it goes on...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does the Maxton really make a big difference? only reason I ask is because I was going to take my Gen 2 to MH racing to be set up, 've had to wind the preload right up as my sag was too much.
Trouble is I now have no static sag so a spring change is probably in order, hence the trip to MH racing.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Maxton was just unreal, so compliant and stable, my mate Lee had it on a Tuono V4 and it was the best handling bike I have ever been on, just irons the bumps out on the road and so compliant and accurate

I bought this gen 1 for £8250 with 6000 miles on full Akrapovic etc. I’ve added a pcv, Motohooligan, powerparts clamps, carbon farkles etc so it owes me about £10000 ( I did well with the bits) to build it today is £20k and once the wheels and suspension are done I can’t see any bike touching it on the road for pure fun

I’ve had second, third, fourth and fifth bikes but everytime I’m on anything else I always think “This isn’t as good as the Superduke” so it makes sense to me to absolutely perfect it

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the Maxton really make a big difference? only reason I ask is because I was going to take my Gen 2 to MH racing to be set up, 've had to wind the preload right up as my sag was too much.
Trouble is I now have no static sag so a spring change is probably in order, hence the trip to MH racing.
Thets the limiting factor, to get the bike to sit right you need massive preload on the rear which mates it too hard. I don’t ever get on the bike and think it’s shite handling because its not, but the difference with high end stuff on built for you is difficult to ignore

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What’s the difference between the piega and the gass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I spent £5000 on suspension and engine work on my eleven year old Ducati and it cost me £9000 to start with seven years ago..
There are certainly faster more sophisticated contemporary bikes I could buy new for less cash but they won't have the same visceral riding experience. New bikes have to be all things to all people which tends to make them polite and woolly. A fully fettled and uncorked special, especially if it's pre-electronics analogue, is the sort of bike manufacturers would have made if they were allowed. Rationally it makes no sense. Until you ride it...

When I've sold my house, got resettled and pulled the Ducati out of dry dock it needs carbon wheels (BST I expect), a full carbon airbox and tuned intakes, an aluminium tank - which will come unpainted so it might as well have a full rebuild and custom paint job - and a one-off titanium exhaust system because the Termigoni full system isn't up to scratch and is losing me about 5 bhp. And while I'm doing that I may revisit the engine with some cast pistons and lumpier cams, possible from a 1098R.
And so it goes on...
Totally agree... Got an old 1100 hyper evo sp that's so far gone with mods it makes my wallet ache.... Fork cartridges next!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The Penney dropped for me well over 20 years....and i’d Been riding bikes along time before that, buying a new bike means it’s been built to a set of rules that I don’t want to play by, be it emissions or cost, so have gone the same route with the last 6 bikes (and still have them) wheels/suspension/fuelling.

Wheels have been BST carbon,Dymag carbon or Dymag mag/alloy.

Fuelling has always been a PC except one that had the ECU flashed but never been all that keen on but way better that stock.

Suspension has always been Ohlins or Wilbers but plenty of other options out there, I have one major glitch, i’ve Avoided this electric suspension shit like the plague or is that Covid...but in the end bought a GT,Carbon Dymags/MotoHooligan/PC but fuck knows what the solution is for the rubbish suspension ,hopefully at sometime some clever so will invent dongles to shut the ECU up and can put some 1290r forks on and probably a K-Tech shock cuz their good at what they do.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I had a zxr600 on maxton.
Really good suspension
Put it all on for the next owner.
😁😁😁😁😁

1 - 20 of 33 Posts