KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicles you can drive

Category : B1
Description

You can drive 3 or 4-wheeled vehicles up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if intended to carry goods

Category : B
Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and up to 8 passenger seats, and a driver, with trailer up to 750kg; trailers over 750kg if combined weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t over 3,500kg and the fully-loaded trailer doesn’t weigh more than the unladen vehicle

Category : F
Description

You can drive an agricultural or forestry tractor

Category : K
Description

You can drive a mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle

Category : P
Restrictions apply
Description

You can drive a moped up to 50cc (max speed 50km/h)
Restriction codes
122 Valid on successful completion of Basic Moped Training Course (CBT)

Vehicles you can provisionally drive

Category : A
Description

You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar

Category : BE
Description

You can drive category B vehicles with trailer when combined weight of vehicle and trailer is over 3,500kg

Category : G
Description

You can drive a road roller

Category : H
Description

You can drive tracked vehicles

END.

Now what does 'Vehicles you can provisionally drive' mean?

Specifically Category A?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It means you can provisionally drive these

You can drive any size motorbike, with or without a sidecar

provisionaly iff you can understand it provisionally but only on a Monday after 6 if there is an r in the month

·
Registered
532 Posts
It means you have a provisional licence for those categories ie there's a test to pass to convert it to a full licence

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It means you have a provisional licence for those categories ie there's a test to pass to convert it to a full licence
Im guessing that im basically restricted to a 125 then, I thought maybe it actually meant any size bike?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
the secret with the CBT is in the C...Compulsory .
Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT). You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.
After you’ve completed your CBT, you can ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW on the road. You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT). You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.
After you’ve completed your CBT, you can ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW on the road. You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test
Yeah iv done CBT in past...

·
Registered
363 Posts
CBT expires after 2 years unless you do full bike test.

If I remember correctly you have the right to ride mopeds for life assuming you pass your driving test within the CBT period. not really helpful for a bike test though as you still need a 'valid' cbt to do that

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you want to ride? How old are you?

A Ride anything :)

A1 Ride anything restricted to 33 bhp :wanker:
No that's A2, and its 46 bhp now, I was half way through doing the 33 then it changed, now you have to do 2 tests instead of 1.

Basically if you look at my 1st post my license tell me that I can ride/drive any bike provisionally. Its saying category A not A1. look at the link you will see that A1 is restricted to 125cc.

Im phoning DVLA tomorrow to clarify this, because the GOV website is either lying or wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh yeah, very confusing. Always photocopy your license and any certificates before you send them to dvla. Lots of people have had to redo their test because their license has come back with categories missing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just for clarification. I am 46 years old and been driving here in the UK with my international driving license for a year. Now I got my provisional license. It says here that, with Category A I can drive a motorcycle unrestricted, and Category B a car with not more than 3,500 unladen weight. My question is, do I still need to take a CBT to ride a motorcycle (of any kind) unaccompanied and unrestricted? Or drive a car alone with L plates displayed? Since other websites stated that the DVLA ONLY ISSUE such license categories AFTER YOU HAVE SATISFACTORILY COMPLETED the required tests. But it's here on my provisional license already and I haven't done any tests yet due to lockdown. Can anyone share their thorough knowledge on this?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
easiest answer is what year did you pass your test ? there were a lot of changes regarding what you could and couldn't drive etc after 1996

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Dunce plates in Wales, like it. 😂

Fook me, how many old fucker here like me, Part 1&2 jump on any bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts